• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could use some pocket square pairing feedback. I am getting married in a year. Our colors are Navy, Plum, and Lavender. I have a navy suit I plan to wear. I already own a lavender and white brooks brothers pocket square very similiar to the picture I will attach. I am also attatcing a picture of a plum tie with lavender and white stripes. I am thinking of purchasing this tie. Does this look like a decent pairing? View attachment 1564495
View attachment 1564496 View attachment 1564497

It will be matchy, but if you're selecting colours for your wedding then things will already be matchy anyway.

You'll want to make your fiancee happy, first and foremostly. So if that sort of thing is what she had in mind, I'd buy it and just wear it separately from the square afterwards.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could use some pocket square pairing feedback. I am getting married in a year. Our colors are Navy, Plum, and Lavender. I have a navy suit I plan to wear. I already own a lavender and white brooks brothers pocket square very similiar to the picture I will attach. I am also attatcing a picture of a plum tie with lavender and white stripes. I am thinking of purchasing this tie. Does this look like a decent pairing?

No it does not. Don’t match your pocket square to your tie. Your PS should complement your shirt, not your tie.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in some Belgian linen squares from Hobor, the white ones with the various colored piping on the edges. My question for those more in the know than myself is can that piping match the tie or is that still too much of a match as if the main color of the square was matching?

For instance, would this work with a green grenadine tie?

green-600.jpg

And while we're on the subject of pocket squares, does anyone know if Rampley & Co. offer any kind of discount code for signing up for emails etc.?

Last edited:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first Rampley & Co square arrived today. I must say that I'm quite impressed. Nice card from the founder, complimentary metal collar stays, and the quality of the material and construction is outstanding.

BA3PON.md.jpg

BA3ibI.md.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first Rampley & Co square arrived today. I must say that I'm quite impressed. Nice card from the founder, complimentary metal collar stays, and the quality of the material and construction is outstanding.

BA3PON.md.jpg

BA3ibI.md.jpg

Rampley and Co is an outstanding outfit, and Elliott is a class act!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rampley and Co is an outstanding outfit, and Elliott is a class act!

Indeed. I'm personally corresponding with him regarding a bespoke square/jacket lining featuring my university. Unfortunately, said university is utterly ruthless when it comes to copyright protection, so it's probably not going to happen. My backup plan is a completely magnificent Rat Pack lined jacket!

scaled.0618_ratpackpostcard_4x_t653.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I'm personally corresponding with him regarding a bespoke square/jacket lining featuring my university. Unfortunately, said university is utterly ruthless when it comes to copyright protection, so it's probably not going to happen. My backup plan is a completely magnificent Rat Pack lined jacket!

scaled.0618_ratpackpostcard_4x_t653.jpg

Nice. I've done two custom jacket linings thus far. One thing I would point out is that you are better off choosing a piece of art that is more horizontal, as when put in the jacket there is more horizontal space available.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I've done two custom jacket linings thus far. One thing I would point out is that you are better off choosing a piece of art that is more horizontal, as when put in the jacket there is more horizontal space available.

Thanks. The above pic is a copyright nightmare that could never happen, but I can dream. I'll most likely end up doing one of their current or archive offerings.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alexander at Issus goes in really well and looks amazing.
My first custom lining was Scotland Forever which came out so well they added it to the standard line. (They also use my photo in ads lol).
View attachment 1607910

Damn, that's gorgeous. That's one of the ones that I'm considering along with "The 28th Regiment at Quatre Bras."

Is that one of their jackets or did you have the lining sent to your tailor?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, that's gorgeous. That's one of the ones that I'm considering along with "The 28th Regiment at Quatre Bras."

Is that one of their jackets or did you have the lining sent to your tailor?

I have the Quatre Bras square (it spoke to me vis a vis my forum avatar lol). Its a nice piece.

That is done by my tailor with 2 panels. He did special diagonally entering pockets with vertical slits to keep them off the image.

Their jackets are nice - Scabal-, but the fabric choices are very very limited.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it fine to wear olive stripe shirt with forest green ps, sans tie?
Depends on the rest of the ensemble, but I'm not sure if that'd be the best combination. I'd rather go with a PS featuring pink, yellow/gold, rust, burnt orange, brown or even light/powder blue.

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
Alexander at Issus goes in really well and looks amazing.
My first custom lining was Scotland Forever which came out so well they added it to the standard line. (They also use my photo in ads lol).
View attachment 1607910
Splendid use of the Birdcatchers.

Is it the Altdorfer picture of Issus you have? I've been quite taken with some of the early 16th century stuff recently but I think I would be more tempted by the Alexander from the mosaic to pair the Darius Rampley already do.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads