• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleated trousers

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered my third made to measure suit--all of which have been fitted by three different clothining tailor/establishments.

Only in the most recent fitting did the tailor inquire whether or not I wanted inward or outward pleats on the trousers. I had never thought about it before. Like most people, I have always worn outward (reverse) pleats. I know that inward pleats are a British tradition. My suit will be a Hickey-Freeman DB suit, side vents, working sleeve buttons, ticket pocket, with lapel vest.

I would welcome any opinions on this subject by the many learned contributors to this forum. Thanks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're fairly lean, why not go the more flattering flat-front route? Otherwise, I would go with a single inward pleat, which is more forgiving than the flat-front pant, but preserves the lean silhouette.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Clarinetplayer: Pleats are actually practical, they automatically widen at the hips when you sit giving you more room when you need it.  Pleats also let you put more stuff in your front pockets including your hands without disturbing the drape.  If you're wearing the right size pants, pleats are actually slimming. The word "pleat" is from the Old French word pleit, which came from the Latin word plicare both meaning "to fold". There are two basic styles of pleats - Regular with the folds facing the fly  Reverse with the folds facing the pockets.  Reverse pleats seem to be the most slimming of the two styles. When you try on pants make certain that the pleats lie flat, if they are pulling open, try the next larger size.  One or two pleats on each side of the fly are plenty.  Multiple pleats are a fashion excessive. Pleats have been with us since 1825.  They are traditional for business or social-dressy occasions.  Plain front pants were in vogue during WWII when the government was trying to conserve material on military uniforms.  The "no pleats" look returned as fashion in the 70's and again in the 90's. Andy

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy Many thanks for the history lesson and for the practical advice. Now, when I see pleats, I will have a new perspective.
biggrin.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My experience has been that inward-facing pleats only work on fuller-cut trousers. If the trousers are slim-cut they don't seem to offer much in the way of functionality. I have two pairs of pants with traditional inward-facing pleats - one from a custom Alan Flusser suit and another from a Polo suit. Both pairs are full-cut. Also, both suits have vests. The traditional pleats look good under a vest.

So I guess my point is, unless you are buying a traditional, full-cut English style suit (think RLPL by Chester Barrie) then the outward facing pleats (2 of them) would probably be the better choice.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, and if Sartorial Solutions were around, he'd back me on this, I'm sure, but Italian and other European suits made for domestic consumption are nearly universally three button with flat-front pants these days. Only suits made for fat Americans have pleats of any kind.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 Only suits made for fat Americans have pleats of any kind.
Ouch.  Well, I am a 38 chest; 33 waist.  I do not think I am a "fat American".  I just like the look of pleated trousers.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offense meant. I was just commenting that pleats are common only on suits sold in the USA, and there are other, historical reasons for this. For the record, I'm a 40 jacket and a 32-33 waist (depending on the designer, season and level of exercise,) so I could hardly be called a fat American either. I wear pleated pants to interviews outside academia when I don't want to seem too "Euro" to the interviewer, but otherwise prefer flat fronts.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) there are plenty of fat europeans.
2) if you have skinny legs, flat front pants look best.
3) if you have fat legs, one pleat is all that is necessary, especially if the pants are made-to-measure. double and triple pleats are for men who want to look traditional (not a bad thing).

flat front pants, with a permanent crease that runs down the front of each leg, have the same slimming visual effect of single pleats.

i prefer pleated pants for conservative occasions, and flat front when i go out, even though my thighs are on the thick side.

while we're on the subject, i've been having my pants hemmed without cuffs, even if they have pleats. this makes my legs look a little longer, i think, and keeps the pleated pants from looking too conservative for my taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads