• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Please recommend Blazer/Sportscoat

weathernut123

Active Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I'm in the market for a blazer or sport coat that I can wear like on a night out in the city in Spring. I'm looking for something semi-formal, that I can possibly wear with a pair of dark wash jeans and a shirt.

I know Gilt has some on sale today and I'd like some recommendations. Here's a few I've picked:






 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,508
Reaction score
1,243
not #3 or #6... otherwise they're all sort of similar.

3 will be remembered every time. 1's got the peaks so that makes it a bit more interesting
 

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
15
I like # 4 or 5. Definitely not # 3 unless you're in college or younger.
 

weathernut123

Active Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
not #3 or #6... otherwise they're all sort of similar.
Thanks. Those two were actually also the ones I was most unsure about. Right now, I think I like #2, #4 and #5, but unsure how well they'll go with dark blue jeans.
 

weathernut123

Active Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by sportin_life
I like # 4 or 5. Definitely not # 3 unless you're in college or younger.

Not so young...lol..I'm 28 and in Grad. school.
 

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
1,102
Reaction score
237
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Definitely not # 3 unless you're in college or younger.

High school is a push,maybe middle school. I'm wouldn't wear that at college at all. That thing is a joke.
 

landshark

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
53
Honestly, those jackets are way too cropped for me.
 

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
3,044
Reaction score
14
There is no such thing as semi-formal. If you're looking for something casual to be worn at bars and clubs in the evenings, then those would work. However, if you try to wear those in a professional/business setting (conferences, interviews etc), they would fail miserably. In fact, just about every one of them would look out of place in a professional setting.

I think SW&D may be able to offer you more insight into those jackets, given how you'll probably use them in a casual setting.
 

weathernut123

Active Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by landshark
Honestly, those jackets are way too cropped for me.
I know...seems just about everyone on this forum prefers longer coats, but it seems like just about all the jackets I'm seeing these days are shorter, fitted ones. It seems to be the current trend right now.
 

weathernut123

Active Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Metlin
There is no such thing as semi-formal. If you're looking for something casual to be worn at bars and clubs in the evenings, then those would work. However, if you try to wear those in a professional/business setting (conferences, interviews etc), they would fail miserably. In fact, just about every one of them would look out of place in a professional setting. I think SW&D may be able to offer you more insight into those jackets, given how you'll probably use them in a casual setting.
Yeah...I'm definitely not looking for something to wear to work, or in a professional setting. Something more laid-back, yet trendy evening wear.
 

chevron

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
16
Resist this trend towards short jackets, definitely don't go shorter than #1.
 

Mr. White

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
801
Reaction score
0
Anyone who would recommend wearing a sportscoat with blue jeans isn't your friend.
 

weathernut123

Active Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Anyone who would recommend wearing a sportscoat with blue jeans isn't your friend.

I disagree. I know it can also be considered douchy to wear dress pants or slacks and be 'dressed up' at a club or bar. Remember, I'm not going to be wearing this to work or a business meeting.
 

Mr. White

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
801
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by weathernut123
I disagree. I know it can also be considered douchy to wear dress pants or slacks and be 'dressed up' at a club or bar. Remember, I'm not going to be wearing this to work or a business meeting.

I'm beginning to think that being called a "douche" is a good thing. After all, a man is a "douche" because he puts fluid inside women. Sorta like the way homos used to call normal men "breeders."

I never heard of a woman who turns her nose up at a man simply because he's wearing slacks. They generally prefer their men to be better dressed than the crowd.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 17 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 90 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 161 31.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 86 16.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 31 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 31 6.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,652
Messages
9,202,794
Members
193,238
Latest member
ThePhantomHorse

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top