• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please recommend Blazer/Sportscoat

weathernut123

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a blazer or sport coat that I can wear like on a night out in the city in Spring. I'm looking for something semi-formal, that I can possibly wear with a pair of dark wash jeans and a shirt.

I know Gilt has some on sale today and I'd like some recommendations. Here's a few I've picked:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
not #3 or #6... otherwise they're all sort of similar.

3 will be remembered every time. 1's got the peaks so that makes it a bit more interesting

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like # 4 or 5. Definitely not # 3 unless you're in college or younger.

weathernut123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
not #3 or #6... otherwise they're all sort of similar.
Thanks. Those two were actually also the ones I was most unsure about. Right now, I think I like #2, #4 and #5, but unsure how well they'll go with dark blue jeans.

weathernut123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
I like # 4 or 5. Definitely not # 3 unless you're in college or younger.

Not so young...lol..I'm 28 and in Grad. school.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Definitely not # 3 unless you're in college or younger.

High school is a push,maybe middle school. I'm wouldn't wear that at college at all. That thing is a joke.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, those jackets are way too cropped for me.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as semi-formal. If you're looking for something casual to be worn at bars and clubs in the evenings, then those would work. However, if you try to wear those in a professional/business setting (conferences, interviews etc), they would fail miserably. In fact, just about every one of them would look out of place in a professional setting.

I think SW&D may be able to offer you more insight into those jackets, given how you'll probably use them in a casual setting.

weathernut123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Honestly, those jackets are way too cropped for me.
I know...seems just about everyone on this forum prefers longer coats, but it seems like just about all the jackets I'm seeing these days are shorter, fitted ones. It seems to be the current trend right now.

weathernut123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
There is no such thing as semi-formal. If you're looking for something casual to be worn at bars and clubs in the evenings, then those would work. However, if you try to wear those in a professional/business setting (conferences, interviews etc), they would fail miserably. In fact, just about every one of them would look out of place in a professional setting. I think SW&D may be able to offer you more insight into those jackets, given how you'll probably use them in a casual setting.
Yeah...I'm definitely not looking for something to wear to work, or in a professional setting. Something more laid-back, yet trendy evening wear.

chevron

Reaction score
Resist this trend towards short jackets, definitely don't go shorter than #1.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Anyone who would recommend wearing a sportscoat with blue jeans isn't your friend.

weathernut123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Anyone who would recommend wearing a sportscoat with blue jeans isn't your friend.

I disagree. I know it can also be considered douchy to wear dress pants or slacks and be 'dressed up' at a club or bar. Remember, I'm not going to be wearing this to work or a business meeting.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weathernut123
I disagree. I know it can also be considered douchy to wear dress pants or slacks and be 'dressed up' at a club or bar. Remember, I'm not going to be wearing this to work or a business meeting.

I'm beginning to think that being called a "douche" is a good thing. After all, a man is a "douche" because he puts fluid inside women. Sorta like the way homos used to call normal men "breeders."

I never heard of a woman who turns her nose up at a man simply because he's wearing slacks. They generally prefer their men to be better dressed than the crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads