• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help!! Need to match girlfriends dress for wedding

borbor

Reaction score
seamster has it bang on

their idea of matching and your idea of matching is different.

match her in that you're looking your best; not matching as in physically matching. When she asks you why you didn't match her colours, just tell her you didn't think a woman of her knowledge and wisdom was serious in making the mistake of suggesting a man's accessory be matching that of her daughter's dress, for it'll just take attention away from her.

You just defused two bombs and not have to do wear anything stupid.

Want women to agree with you? Tactfully disagree from the word go while covertly planting suggestion on how you'd like it to go.

If you tell her the alternative is to show up in a gold suit and ask if she wanted C3PO to accompnay her daughter to the party, she'll come around and see it your way.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the risk of sounding heretical, my advice is to match your girlfriend so you can get laid. There is plenty of time to be appropriately dapper later in life when you are an adult and can afford a real suit.

Looking good is more likely to get any man laid than matching his date.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey suit you posted is fine, as long as it fits. White shirt. That's 99% of the look. After that, you can't really go wrong. Wear that tie you posted, but if you want to look damn sharp, wear a dark blue, or black tie.

Simple, cheap, sharp.

Last edited:

urban87

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding heretical, my advice is to match your girlfriend so you can get laid. There is plenty of time to be appropriately dapper later in life when you are an adult and can afford a real suit.
Funny thing is, I am an adult..lol.. Just still in the beginning of starting out. im 26 and still a student so the bucks aint rollin in yet.

ajmanouk

Reaction score

I'll make it simple for you bro':

Grey suit
White Shirt
The tie that you have
Brown shoes
Brown Belt
White pocket square (if you want...with a thin gold trim)

...like a boss.

+1

i actually like the tie you posted.

urban87

Reaction score
UPDATE: she's going to wear blue now because I told her that color is not going to work for me. So im wondering if I should wear a black suit or stick with the gray?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The gray suit is fine. Just stick with it and don't worry about what she is wearing.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy one that you will be comfortable with wearing to many other weddings and other events in the upcoming years and one that's not so distinct that everyone will remember it.  Remember that for the next wedding, your girlfriend will probably want to get another dress because she will not want to be seen as having only one dress.  You on the other hand, will be able to wear the same grey suit and well chosen tie many times.  I shudder at the thought of having to buy a new tie or pocket square for every wedding because I need to match another new dress.  The timelessness of classic menswear is in large part due to the ownership men take in deciding for themselves what they will wear and what looks good, not what the fashion industry tells us looks good or other people being influenced by the fashion industry tells us we must wear.  Just remember, if every guy that went to a wedding before you matched their dates dress, you wouldn't have this choice to make for yourself.  

Cheers and have a good time, whatever the choice

Very well said. Taken to its logical extreme, he could end up with a collection of truly ugly and useless ties (many things that look good on women in dresses do not make for attractive ties).

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UPDATE: she's going to wear blue now because I told her that color is not going to work for me. So im wondering if I should wear a black suit or stick with the gray?

Grey suit still. Ironically a grey suit, white shirt and a dark blue tie is a very elegant look, even if it matches your date.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My advice, FWIW is to look like you're going to the same place, so compliment your date. Save matching for the 90's prom pictures.

I think I would wear what I wanted, for if not other reason, to stand up for yourself. Seems absolutely ridiculous to have, not your date, but your date's mom tell you what to wear to a wedding when you are not in the party and she is not planning the party.

Save her fantasy for her own attire.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the mother wants him for herself. These things happen.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So OP, you're an adult, about as old as I am, and you think letting your girlfriend's mother dictate your attire is appropriate? And the idea of her mother forcing you to matching your date didn't strike you as a little bit creepy, a grown women trying to play with dolls?

It's a suit and tie, not a costume. Wear a nice gray suit (or as nice as you can afford) a decent shirt, and a nice tie. You don't have to be a color matched set to be a couple.

I dunno, maybe it's that I've worked in a formal setting where I've worn suits and ties most every day and am accustomed to making my own decisions about what I wear, but I don't really get how you think this is somehow normal or appropriate.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll make it simple for you bro':

Grey suit
White Shirt
The tie that you have
Brown shoes
Brown Belt
White pocket square (if you want...with a thin gold trim)

...like a boss.
If she's wearing blue, then wear this same outfit, but use a darker tie...maybe a combination of blue and grey...something that looks solid from a distance but has a slight pattern or texture to it up close. You'll be able to get many more wears out of a tie like that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads