• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help!! Need to match girlfriends dress for wedding

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better misogony then some poor men stuck being dressed by their wives or girlfriends who know nothing about how to put together a suit and tie. I think they look at it like decorating a living room "Oh wow...this throw pillow looks good with the couch."

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but, if the need to wear ugly ass accessories so that you're "matching" is the only way to keep the peace for mom, this does not bode well for the future of the relationship. You are not dealing with a rational or reasonable person.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is suggesting a man dress himself misogyny? I would also be objecting if the woman's father was telling him how to dress.

JLibourel, has your account been hacked? Gold pocket squares and suits from Target?

theSeamsterCo

Reaction score
Don't wear something you don't feel good in. You will give off a much better impression if you look good, feel good and have confidence, than you will by just pleasing mom. I guarantee if you look good and compliment your lady, she wont even notice that you aren't matching. She really just wants you guys to look good and to her that means matching, show up looking like a million bucks and she wont say anything.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of that tie, its okay and it does the job but i would try to find something that you really like and works. If you cant, then just look good. Do NOT wear a tan suit and definitely do not go and buy a tan suit.

As for H&M, if you buy it there consider it a one time wear...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is suggesting a man dress himself misogyny? I would also be objecting if the woman's father was telling him how to dress.

JLibourel, has your account been hacked? Gold pocket squares and suits from Target?

What's wrong with gold pocket squares if they harmonize? As for suits from Target, I'm not likely to get any, but I have the sense the OP is a young fellow on a very limited budget.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with gold pocket squares if they harmonize? As for suits from Target, I'm not likely to get any, but I have the sense the OP is a young fellow on a very limited budget.
I've just never heard anyone recommend solid silk squares before, at least non-cream.

urban87

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. i found a grey suit and think the color may work. I jus hope it matches the tie and i don't look to dark for the summer. I did see a linen natural color suit but i forced myself not to buy. Pics below of the suit that i bought. Funny thing is even my grandmother saying i should match her..lol.. but heres the pic and will post the tie too.

urban87

Reaction score

Your absolutely Correct!! I'm definitely on a budget.

urban87

Reaction score
Don't wear something you don't feel good in. You will give off a much better impression if you look good, feel good and have confidence, than you will by just pleasing mom. I guarantee if you look good and compliment your lady, she wont even notice that you aren't matching. She really just wants you guys to look good and to her that means matching, show up looking like a million bucks and she wont say anything.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of that tie, its okay and it does the job but i would try to find something that you really like and works. If you cant, then just look good. Do NOT wear a tan suit and definitely do not go and buy a tan suit.

As for H&M, if you buy it there consider it a one time wear...

What tie would you recommend?

Grenadier

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding heretical, my advice is to match your girlfriend so you can get laid. There is plenty of time to be appropriately dapper later in life when you are an adult and can afford a real suit.

Madmax812

Reaction score
What tie would you recommend?

Buy one that you will be comfortable with wearing to many other weddings and other events in the upcoming years and one that's not so distinct that everyone will remember it. Remember that for the next wedding, your girlfriend will probably want to get another dress because she will not want to be seen as having only one dress. You on the other hand, will be able to wear the same grey suit and well chosen tie many times. I shudder at the thought of having to buy a new tie or pocket square for every wedding because I need to match another new dress. The timelessness of classic menswear is in large part due to the ownership men take in deciding for themselves what they will wear and what looks good, not what the fashion industry tells us looks good or other people being influenced by the fashion industry tells us we must wear. Just remember, if every guy that went to a wedding before you matched their dates dress, you wouldn't have this choice to make for yourself.

Cheers and have a good time, whatever the choice

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum. You're in for a rough ride from the get-go, but you'll come out awesome and ******* SHARP.

Don't match the girl. Not only is it impossible, short of buying a metallic suit (dear god no) but it's ridiculous to dictate any part of a relationship around that sort of thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads