• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me pick a good versatile shoe for travel.

jmeb

Reaction score
I'd love some suggestions. Having a hard time warming up to any of the loafers I'm seeing.

It'd help us a bit if we knew a bit more about your style in general. Is it fashion-forward / edgy, very traditional, younger, older, colorful, muted, American-influenced, or European-esque? Lots of loafer variety out-there from the classic American beefroll penny (Quoddy, Rancourt, Oak Street, etc), to slimmer dressier ones from makers like Meerim etc.

CTfam

Reaction score
Wow, you guys don't like the Aldens? Oh well...

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the suggestion. Those penny loafers are OK I guess. I just find all penny loafers safe and boring. I guess that is the purpose of them... Reminds me of when I was 9 years old and my mom would drag me to church. Just looking at other options. My local shop has some dark brown suede horse bit loafers that look pretty slick. Maybe too casual for a suit though..

It'd help us a bit if we knew a bit more about your style in general. Is it fashion-forward / edgy, very traditional, younger, older, colorful, muted, American-influenced, or European-esque? Lots of loafer variety out-there from the classic American beefroll penny (Quoddy, Rancourt, Oak Street, etc), to slimmer dressier ones from makers like Meerim etc.
Thanks for the reply. I'm 30 from USA and pretty much ignorant when it comes to fashion. I guess I'd say I like a classic American style. Nothing too edgy but I like to stand out from the crowd. I thought those wingtips would achieve that. Maybe I'm asking for too much out of one shoe and I need to buy a bigger suitcase.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the suggestion. Those penny loafers are OK I guess. 1) I just find all penny loafers safe and boring. I guess that is the purpose of them... Reminds me of when I was 9 years old and my mom would drag me to church. Just looking at other options. My local shop has some 2 ) dark brown suede horse bit loafers that look pretty slick. Maybe too casual for a suit though..

Thanks for the reply. 3) I'm 30 from USA and pretty much ignorant when it comes to fashion. 4) I guess I'd say I like a classic American style. Nothing too edgy but I like to stand out from the crowd. I thought those wingtips would achieve that. Maybe I'm asking for too much out of one shoe and I need to buy a bigger suitcase.
Bold statement 4 is heartily contradicted by bold statement 1. Bold statement 2 also contradicts bold statement 4. Bold statement 3 explains these contradictions.

My 2cents: It is far better to buy classic, well made, "boring" [elegant] **** and bring IT to life with your own personality, rather than buying, trendy, "slick" [douchey] **** that aims to bring [false] life to YOUR personality.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(in other words: if you want to "stand out from the crowd" than look within, not to your clothes...)

CTfam

Reaction score
Bold statement 4 is heartily contradicted by bold statement 1. Bold statement 2 also contradicts bold statement 4. Bold statement 3 explains these contradictions.

My 2cents: It is far better to buy classic, well made, "boring" [elegant] **** and bring IT to life with your own personality, rather than buying, trendy, "slick" [douchey] **** that aims to bring [false] life to YOUR personality.

I appreciate your time. Are you saying dark brown horse bit loafers are trendy and douchey? I thought they were considered a classic. I just thought they had a bit more flash then the penny loafers.

Dogs Bollocks

Reaction score
I would go for this, Ralph Lauren Marlow Plain Toe in cordovan. Looks great with jeans or more dressed up and the cordovan is definitely a travelers dream because of lack of a need for polish.
f4a3f41efdfc420e9eda4530aab4bc0d.jpg

If you go for a loafer I would do the Alden Full Strap, also in cordovan. Versatile, durable, easy at security, some even wear with bermuda shorts.
6bf1814c6feb8a1b3f1d597104d3e129.jpg

CTfam

Reaction score
I would go for this, Ralph Lauren Marlow Plain Toe in cordovan. Looks great with jeans or more dressed up and the cordovan is definitely a travelers dream because of lack of a need for polish.
f4a3f41efdfc420e9eda4530aab4bc0d.jpg

If you go for a loafer I would do the Alden Full Strap, also in cordovan. Versatile, durable, easy at security, some even wear with bermuda shorts.
6bf1814c6feb8a1b3f1d597104d3e129.jpg

Cool thanks! I'm heading to the store now to look around. Have a good weekend everyone.

Dogs Bollocks

Reaction score
Sizing is tricky with both of them, especially the Alden. Until you know your size do not order them unless you can easily return.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your time. 1) Are you saying dark brown horse bit loafers are trendy and douchey? I thought they were considered a classic. 2) I just thought they had a bit more flash then the penny loafers.

1. Not trendy, but...

2. Yes they do. BUT....Let me ask you this: What do many tremendously hip style icons such as Micheal Jackson, James Dean, Paul Newman, Any Warhol [etc...] have in common besides their "flashy" personalities ---like, say for instance, in terms of footwear? [penny-to-the-motherfucking loafers] Just sayin...

CTfam

Reaction score
Sizing is tricky with both of them, especially the Alden. Until you know your size do not order them unless you can easily return.

Thanks... I doubt I will find any of those exact shoes where I am currently (Vietnam) but I'm getting some ideas for styles... I can find something that "looks" like those.

1. Not trendy, but...

2. Yes they do. BUT....Let me ask you this: What do many tremendously hip style icons such as Micheal Jackson, James Dean, Paul Newman, Any Warhol [etc...] have in common besides their "flashy" personalities ---like, say for instance, in terms of footwear? [penny-to-the-motherfucking loafers] Just sayin...

Gotcha. So dudes rockin the penny loafers can still get laid and if I buy a pair I wont instantly go bald and grow a beer belly.

Last thought. Suede... Yes or No?

Dogs Bollocks

Reaction score
for travel shoes go with Cordovan, not suede. Cordovan in this sense, is a material, not a color. Look into the properties of Cordovan, it travels really well, does not need polish, and wears like iron. Suede is great, the only issue is it can be damaged fairly easily by weather if you don't keep up with waterproofing.

As a side thought, knowing what I do about shoe materials, when my boys go off to school, initially I will send them with one of these shoes, in cordovan. I could have gone the whole way with some athletic shoes and a pair of either of these. These care and wear properties are no doubt why Cordovan is often favored for officers shoes.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love suede, but it can be tough to maintain...I'd go cordovan. It can be pricy, but it lasts forever and ages really well (and goes with nearly everything in terms of color...).

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those Alden loafers are ugly IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads