• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help dress me

ower09

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've bought this suit and was wondering if any of you people with style could help me out... (Its dark grey)

02F09RGRY_normal.jpg

I was thinking dark brown slip-on shoes, white shirt and baby blue tie?

Does anyone think that's a good combination or would anyone like to suggest another.

Cheers

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not in love with the idea.

First lets start with....whats the occasion?

Once i know what you're planning on attending with your suit, i'll have some idea of what will look best.

Grey is very versatile but what you wear with it will depend on a few things, the situation, how you'd like to add your own personal touch to it, and your skin tones.

It also would be a good idea to wear the suit and post a picture so that I have an idea of how it fits and can make comments and suggestions based on that.

The shoes, well i personally dont wear slip ons with a suit, i would stick to lace ups or monk straps. Brown will look nice, i would go with a darker brown.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have many options for your shirt, i like to use a solid color shirt when pairing with a pinstripe suit.

With that in mind i would go with Light blue, pale yellow or white.

If you decide on a stripped shirt, make sure you find a striped with a different width between the stripes then what you're suit has, but basically i would go with something other then stripes.

If you decide on a stripped shirt, something with a faint stripe would work.

I almost always wear french cuffs, if they're something you like, you could certainly wear them to something as formal as a wedding.

ower09

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Skinny. I like your shirt colour suggestions. I'll go with a plain shirt either light blue or white. Could do with a nice tie. My skin tone is fair.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice suit. It will look classic with white shirt. Skip the light blue tie. Have you noticed that every single politician is wearing one these days? A far more elegant approach, IMO, would be a simple dark navy tie. You might look for one with a very subtle touch of white in it. Maybe a small dot or stripe.

Consider a white linen pocket square. It will look very nice with the white shirt and gray suit.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dark brown.

Pocketsquare nailed the tie, i would go with a dark navy with a small dot pattern.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
save you're jerky comments for someone else.

He asked for help, I have enough respect for those asking for help as to try to help.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ower09
Thanks for your help Skinny. I like your shirt colour suggestions. I'll go with a plain shirt either light blue or white. Could do with a nice tie. My skin tone is fair.

But since its for wedding (assuming pretty formal), I would go for white. Pale yellow is a very causal color in the formal spectrum.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Pocketsquare nailed the tie, i would go with a dark navy with a small dot pattern.

I disagree. He is dressing for the wedding, not for business meeting. That 2 pattern + 1 solid rule for business dress shouldn't apply here.

I would just go for gray suit (yours seems to be contrasting stripes, not pin stripes), white shirt, solid black tie and white linen pocket square. Black oxfords.

If you want to lighten up a bit, my suggestion would be gray suit, very light blue shirt (stripes or solid), light colored solid tie (that matches your eye color), white pocket square (with or without contrasting seam), brown oxfords.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Nice suit. It will look classic with white shirt. Skip the light blue tie. Have you noticed that every single politician is wearing one these days? A far more elegant approach, IMO, would be a simple dark navy tie. You might look for one with a very subtle touch of white in it. Maybe a small dot or stripe.

Consider a white linen pocket square. It will look very nice with the white shirt and gray suit.

As for the tie, perhaps something like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads