• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique this shirt & tie (and offer alternatives?)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, DON'T wear it with a black suit! Wear the white shirt that you bought with a blue suit(if you have one.)

lektrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
white, beige, yellow, orange, light blue, solid blue, dark blue, grey, pale green, salmon...
How about maroon or burgundy? Are those considered dark? Or a white shirt with subtle pink lines? I don't want to be the same as everyone else with white/light blue shirt and dark tie. Festive party calls for festive colours no? I would not mind a tie with some red/maroon/burgundy/dark red/pink/lavender/violet/purple in it. Seems to be the trend these days anyways with all the stores advertising purple...
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
1. How old are you? I'm serious 2. What type of event are you wearing this to? 3. Optional - how often do you wear suit and tie, and same question regarding the people around you (family, friends, etc)
23.5, rarely wear suit and tie, but will need to more in the future...people around me? not really.. Christmas function at a famous hotel ballroom...no exact dress code per se but suit is the minimum (no one in tuxes)..
Originally Posted by jo-fu
rule number 2: Never wear black shirts without ties.
Is this a joke? Why? I'm thinking of keeping the shirt for day to day wear even if I refund the tie.....the shirt fits awesome!
Originally Posted by ter1413
I don't like it either! Looks like a waiters outfit as someone said. Rule number 3-NEVER try to buy a tie to match a shirt. Buy ties that you like and shirts that you like. After you have a good amount of each, then you will always have options!
It's easy for someone to say after working for 5-10 years and accumulating a stash..me? working for less than 2 years, CHEAP, conservative,
bounce2.gif
Originally Posted by ter1413
Also, DON'T wear it with a black suit! Wear the white shirt that you bought with a blue suit(if you have one.)
I only have a black suit. I'm going to try to get a MODERN FIT charcoal suit or black w/ pinstripes before the party.....i'm not gonna like navy blue...

Kempy

Reaction score
I think you'll find most people's opinions here to be diametrically opposed to yours. The very fact that you don't have a lot of money and a large varied wardrobe, in my opinion, means you should buy items that serve double duty so to speak. That means things that can be worn in various settings.

For me personally the shirt/tie combo you posted I would never wear, but if I did I would only feel comfortable wearing out to a bar/club (I'm in my mid 20s). I work for a .com in the Seattle area and dress is, shall we say, extremely casual. I could easily get away with wearing it, but I still wouldn't out of personal preference.

Buying staples like a midnight navy or charcoal suit with a lighter colored shirt means you can have a lot of versitility. You say you're likely to wear suits more in the future, doesn't it make sense to have shirts/suits/ties/shoes that are appropriate in all occasions?

Most of the people here didn't build a suitable wardrobe (to borrow a phrase) overnight. They accumulated it over time, what made it happen was buying items that are timeless. You said you want a "modern fit" for your next suit. Rather than getting a suit with ultra skinny lapels and a skinny tie you get a "traditional" fitting suit with all it's accoutrements and tailored to your frame? That's a better investment in my mind then a fashion forward suit you could potentially regret in short order.

Edit: That shirt you recently posted is miles ahead of the black one IMO.

malefic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lektrix
What do you guys think of this orchid dress shirt w/ pink/black lines? http://img249.imageshack.us/i/11bn.jpg/ http://img692.imageshack.us/i/62813532.jpg/
The stripes are a little harsh, but it's miles better than the Kenneth Cole one you posted originally if your intent is to wear it with a tie. Go with something even more subdued, though, ideally. That last shirt would be fine if the stripes were lighter (pink and grey, pink and non-navy blue....) but as it is they are going to make it tough for you to wear a tie without looking awfully busy.
How about maroon or burgundy? Are those considered dark?
Yes. Regular "light" shirt options are basically white, blue, yellow, pink. When you realize how many different kinds of stripes, checks, and patterns there are, there are actually an insane number of very nice options even within this slice of the spectrum. Try green or orange if you like, but they are harder to coordinate.
Or a white shirt with subtle pink lines?
Sounds fine.
I don't want to be the same as everyone else with white/light blue shirt and dark tie. Festive party calls for festive colours no? I would not mind a tie with some red/maroon/burgundy/dark red/pink/lavender/violet/purple in it. Seems to be the trend these days anyways with all the stores advertising purple...
What you don't realize is that you ARE being "the same as everyone else." Didn't you go to prom? Seriously, that's what everyone in high school and college wears because they think it's "different" (or something) to wear a dark shirt (esp. black) with a light tie (esp white/cream/pink). Skip the growing up phase, trust me, you are better off maturing directly to the "adult" stage. Stick with light, plainish (but "nice") dress shirts for wearing with suits.
Is this a joke?
Yes.
Why? I'm thinking of keeping the shirt for day to day wear even if I refund the tie.....the shirt fits awesome!
If you like the shirt, keep it, but wear it as a sport shirt with the top button undone, don't wear it under a suit or with a tie.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works but theres nothing special about it, especially since I see all the time mostly on wiatstaff at those trendy resturaunts. I would not wear it with a black suit either, a nice charcoal or something would be much better. as far as the tie goes you could do a maroon or something but not a solid get a nice stripe that will complement the pattern of the shirt.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lektrix

Reaction score
Suggestions noted.

No dark shirts? Fine...i'll try and look for a light shirt, maybe a super light pink, lavender, or purple, or a white "subdued" shirt with lines. Absolutely no yellow, green or gray for me. I like blue but no blue for me because 80% of my wardrobe is blue
bounce2.gif

If my shirt is light, does it make sense that I get a darker tie? Striped pattern with different shades is my preference. Something like:

http://www.zazzle.ca/merlot_tie-151202729528707596

Maybe something similar with burgundy/silver/red/white or something.......

I'm trying my best to find a suit as well...looking at black with stripes or charcoal grey. $264 for Nautica or $237 for Mexx or $550 for CK (not discounted)? I'm not ready to pay $800-1000 for a custom tailored one just yet.

jmoody15

Reaction score
Stop trying to go with so many busy patterns when you're starting off. I was the same way at first. I wanted every piece that I bought to be "interesting" so I bought striped suits, striped shirts, and striped/patterned ties. I'm trying to replace all of these now, as I've found myself walking around awkwardly striped.

You'll eventually learn to keep minimal points of "interest" in your clothing, and you'll appreciate simple choices. The most basic - buy your first suit(s) in a solid cloth. Build up some pattern in a shirt OR tie. Once you get some experience under your belt, you can have some pattern in multiple articles of clothing (I'm still not there yet myself).

But for now, buy a good, conservative solid charcoal suit. Build your pattern around it.

Keep it simple, and you'll look your best.

Edit: check out This thread, as it relates to your problem here.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
It looks like a 1980's JCPenny outfit for a jazz musician, not my style at all... but do as you please. White and light blue are the only acceptable dress-shirt colors in my opinion, "experimenting" or trying to be "creative" with color combinations is for clowns.

This is the first thing I though of when seeing the combination. Nothing wrong with wearing it. Do expect comments about 80's fashion.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
Stop trying to go with so many busy patterns when you're starting off. I was the same way at first. I wanted every piece that I bought to be "interesting" so I bought striped suits, striped shirts, and striped/patterned ties. I'm trying to replace all of these now, as I've found myself walking around awkwardly striped.

You'll eventually learn to keep minimal points of "interest" in your clothing, and you'll appreciate simple choices. The most basic - buy your first suit(s) in a solid cloth. Build up some pattern in a shirt OR tie. Once you get some experience under your belt, you can have some pattern in multiple articles of clothing (I'm still not there yet myself).

But for now, buy a good, conservative solid charcoal suit. Build your pattern around it.

+1.....First principles, Clarice. Simplicity! Read Marcus Aurelius.
I agree with the above 100%. Too much action is going on with your gear. White/Gray/Blue are staples! When you keep it simple, then you can add some color/splash!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions noted.

No dark shirts? Fine...i'll try and look for a light shirt, maybe a super light pink, lavender, or purple, or a white "subdued" shirt with lines. Absolutely no yellow, green or gray for me. I like blue but no blue for me because 80% of my wardrobe is blue
bounce2.gif

If my shirt is light, does it make sense that I get a darker tie? Striped pattern with different shades is my preference. Something like:

http://www.zazzle.ca/merlot_tie-151202729528707596

Maybe something similar with burgundy/silver/red/white or something.......

I'm trying my best to find a suit as well...looking at black with stripes or charcoal grey. $264 for Nautica or $237 for Mexx or $550 for CK (not discounted)? I'm not ready to pay $800-1000 for a custom tailored one just yet.

You should look in out B&S forum to buy a suit.

Regardless of your youthful hubris (and at 25, I am not far from you), you should listen to the gentlemen here. They know better that you - that's not meant as a jab, but as the truth. There are guys here who have suits and shirts that are older than you. They know what looks classy and classic.

Take their advice!

Originally Posted by jmoody15

THIS is gold.

Get a charcoal suit. Wear a light shirt (white, or windowpane maybe) with a decent tie.

No black suit. No black shirt. No pink tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads