• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique this shirt & tie (and offer alternatives?)

distant virtue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lektrix
Yes, conservative, but what else is a noob supposed to do?

I'm just looking for ideas, that's all...personally, almost everything looks good to me, the violet shirt I liked looked good to me at first sight but then I found out it was impossible to find a good, matching tie.

Honestly if I could wear whatever I like, I wouldn't even wear a suit, cause I'm not a suit person
bounce2.gif
. It's not that I don't like suits, it's because I'm hardly required to wear them (1-2x a year) so naturally I don't "care" or pay attention as much....but I want to learn and I'm hoping this experience will teach me a few things that I will undoubtedly need in the future!

P.S.: What I need is a site with different matches and combinations...black shirt with this tie that tie, blue shirt with this the that time, etc...that way I can browse and look for good harmonic colours, combos, trends, you know what I mean? Right now I'm just going thru A LOT of trial and error and trust me it's not fun.

My dear chap if you are new to being properly suited nd booted there is a lot to be said for getting to a decent competitively priced shirt shop and fitting yourself out with half a dozen plain whites and half a dozen plain light blues. Both go with more or less any tie and you gain confidence from there.

Personally violetis a bit much for me but then I'm a rather conservative chap.

lektrix

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.. Everyone loved my charcoal suit and I love it even more...thanks for the charcoal suggestion! and yes, I ended up picking a random tie because I was so rushed but it was okay..I will try to buy some online here
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads