• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique my First RLPL Jacket

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Rear photo: Compare the apparently neat right sleeve cuff vent overlap with the left cuff vent overlap - the left does not lie properly. Your wife or tailor should hand sew the cuff edge (sewing hidden under the edge) closer to the underlapping material. Of minor significance, the highest button on the cuff should not align above the cuff vent opening.

Good eye. I actually noticed this a few minutes after the photo was taken, took it back today, and the tailor sewed up that cuff end properly.

(You may on occasion find a lighweight RLPL suit/sport jacket with a seemingly uncorrectable wrinkle aft the shoulder seam near the arm seam. The typical RLPL shoulder pad is constructed of three separate thin concentric layers and can bunch in that area. The suit/jacket price may be reduced or it may be returned to the distribution center due to this happening during try-ons. That wrinkle can be massaged-out by hand.)
thanks, good to know!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
furo,I don't think you have the build for PL suits/jackets. I think Black Label will look better on you,although I am not a fan of BL. Quarters are too closed and make it look really weird.I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with quarters but I don't like how they look.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The shirt cuff is sitting where it needs to be on your hand. If your other shirts are shorter in the sleeves, they're not long enough. The jacket sleeves are therefore objectively too short. It's distracting, actually; jumped out at me as soon as I saw the pic.

I think it looks quite good otherwise.

+1. Jacket is a tad too short. Otherwise..100%.

Mariooo

Reaction score
as others mentioned before, the sleeves are too short.. and i would say, the jacket is a bit too long...
but overall, looks quite okay

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
furo,I don't think you have the build for PL suits/jackets. I think Black Label will look better on you,although I am not a fan of BL. Quarters are too closed and make it look really weird.I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with quarters but I don't like how they look.

really? i think the quarters are slightly open and neat, no?

DandySF

Reaction score
Your jacket has a nice clean fit. Will look very good once the sleeves are corrected.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
really? i think the quarters are slightly open and neat, no?

For some reason,I can't post images,here is one of the PL suits I have. It fits me little differently.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Fit is fantastic...I wish I could do so well!

beerbudget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Very nice except I think the sleeves have been shortened a hair too much. An extra 1/2" would be perfect I think.

+1. Sleeve length is ruining what is otherwise a perfect fitting jacket.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
For some reason,I can't post images,here is one of the PL suits I have. It fits me little differently.

The button stance on your jacket is higher, which in turn causes the quarters to open more on your jacket than mine.

I rather like the lower button stance on mine, simply because higher button stances cause my lapels to bulge in the chest

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
The button stance on your jacket is higher, which in turn causes the quarters to open more on your jacket than mine.

I rather like the lower button stance on mine, simply because higher button stances cause my lapels to bulge in the chest

This is actually pretty low for me,probably as low as I would go.Also,I don't think button stance is what causes the quarters to open more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads