• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick only one winter coat

mr bunbury

Reaction score
I'm in the market for *one* new winter coat this season, and I want it to be as practical as possible. Right now I have lots of impractical winter coats (too thin, too nice, too long); what I want is a single, stylish coat that can take a lot of abuse in rain, snow, and travel. If I ball it up and stuff it into the overhead compartment of a train I won't have to worry about it.

Ideally, if I go on a long trip abroad, for example, this would be the one coat I would bring. But I would also be able to wear it on weekends around town (Boston, USA).

Does such a single coat exist? I was thinking of the Barbour Beaufort in green with a lining and hood; or of the You Must Create reversible coat (at Steven Alan), which is a raincoat on one side and a topcoat on the other. What else is out there?

(This is my first-ever post!)

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno how winter it is but the balsetta microfiber raincoat with wool lining at Alan Flusser (not inexpensive) will give some of these properties. You can roll it up, its rain resistant or proof, it has a warm lining. Mine has lasted a long time but it does and will show signs of wear eventually, it will not last forever. There is also the problem of color. The tan color will get temporarily stained quickly, maybe the navy will be better.

It sounds like you need input from a place like a consumer reports or a Hammecher Schlemmer that puts items through it's paces. Most posters here are going to have a limited experience with all avaialble items and a personal approach to which coat is the best for the purposes you set down.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are in Boston, there are several options that you can try out. I would go with something in a wool or wool blend, which will be naturally shower resistant, and in a material like Melton, boiled wool, or tweed, which are designed to take abuse and inclement weather.

Drinkwaters in Cambridge carries the Engineered Garments Monty Duffel, which is an updated version of the Classic Duffel coat, in black. Made of wool melton, this should be good on the coldest days, goes over a suit in a pinch (purist will decry this, but let them - after all, you live in Boston, where polar fleece is in a category of its own, and pairs perfectly with flannel and corduroy pants, and jeans. He also carries some more conservative designs. If you go there, tell him that I sent you. I personally picked up a wook herringbone version of an M65 by NYC design collective Nom de Guerre, but while practical for for me, who anticipates wearing suit twice this season, at Christmas (maybe) and New Years (which will be spent in Northern California - so no topcoat necessary,) it may not suit your needs. I got this at Stel's on Newbury Street, which has some really interesting coats and jackets by United Bamboo, Crosby, and YMC, as well as by Nom de Guerre. The NdG jackets are perfect if you are relatively tall and lean (a medium fits about a 48Eu).

If you have the cash, go to Alan Bilzerian's remarkable store for some of his offering from Martin Margiela, among others. Louis, less than a block away, has nice (albeit less exciting, but maybe more versatile) offerings by Neil Barrett.

I think that an Engineered Garments black wool melton Monty Duffel is probably your best bet as a versatile coat. You*will look pretty stylish anywhere. It won't look out of place for going to the office, but is also perfect for just schlepping around town.

Reaction score
the beaufort even with a lining is not gonna be warm enough if you live in a cold climate. the attachable hood is terrible. it snaps on with three snaps, but it pops off constantly, i never use it. i do love barbour, but you may want to think about one of their heavy-weight jackets instead.

for the money, i would take LA's suggestion and purchase a Monty. great for layering. granted, i haven't worn mine in the winter yet, but it's gotten kinda cold here in Philly already.

welcome to the forum!

mr bunbury

Reaction score
That Monty duffle looks interesting--I will stop by Drinkwaters and check it out. I've also looked at the Barbour Northumberland, does anybody have any experience with that?

Keep the suggestions coming, this is very helpful, and thank you.

cpac

Reaction score
Invest in a quality charcoal grey overcoat. I abused one for 10 years and it's only now showing its age. Looks great over suits and over jeans, and is definitely warm. The nice thing too is that you can probably find one at whatever your price point may be.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpac
Invest in a quality charcoal grey overcoat. I abused one for 10 years and it's only now showing its age. Looks great over suits and over jeans, and is definitely warm. The nice thing too is that you can probably find one at whatever your price point may be.

I thought about a plain grey overcoat at first myself but do you think itll do well in the rain though and roll into a small enough ball?

cpac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
I thought about a plain grey overcoat at first myself but do you think itll do well in the rain though and roll into a small enough ball?

I think it'd be fine in the rain. It's obviously not as ideal as having a dedicated raincoat might be, but then we're talking about a "winter coat" when most precipitation will be snow anyway.

As for balling up, I wouldn't do that, but I've smushed my overcoat in many an overhead bin without trouble.

The only alternative I'd consider (and really I think one shoudl ideally have two pieces of non-sporting outerwear) would be a proper rain/trench coat (think burberry), with the optional lining to make it appropriate for winter. Personally I think the overcoat and unlined raincoat make for a better 1-2 combination, (and that's why I'd go with the overcoat this year - with a plan of adding a raincoat next year), but a second-best option might be the insulated raincoat.

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
I'd echo KitonBrioni's recommendation. The LP Storm System is an amazing fabric, and I've been itching to buy a coat in that fabric for a while.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dapper Dandy
I'd echo KitonBrioni's recommendation. The LP Storm System is an amazing fabric, and I've been itching to buy a coat in that fabric for a while.

There are a couple Nordstrom brand made in italy LP Storm System overcoats at the Nordstrom rack in Gaithersburg. They are green and 3/4 length. Thought you might want to know.

BankerBoi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I personally picked up a wook herringbone version of an M65 by NYC design collective Nom de Guerre

Is this for wearing to impress Jodie Foster ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads