• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Questions time: what is your relationship with your fathers and brother(s) like?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MrG - all indications show that you will succeed.

You're like a Magic 8 ball of reassurance, Stitch. ;)

Seriously though, I appreciate the kind words.

You did say the right words...I have changed my expectation..
I have asked myself many times if my dad was a friend's dad , would I respect him ?
The answer is no ...

Agreed on both accounts.

i'm nowhere near the age of fatherhood nor will i ever have children, but what concerns me most about raising a child is not teaching them how to be properly functioning adults, rather what and how you teach them as babies and toddlers. teaching a child how to speak, potty train them, feed themselves etc, is it like teaching a dog a trick or something?

My kid is only a year old, so I can't speak to all of your questions, but a lot of their development just happens. Your part is really just doing things to encourage them. For example, my son's first real word was "ball." We didn't go out of our way to teach him that; we simply called his ball a ball and encourage him when he says it: "yes, LowerCaseG, that is a ball." Eventually, everything round became a ball - we walked through the produce aisle yesterday, and I was informed that lettuce, cauliflower, apples, etc. are all "baaawlls."

They also pick up on stuff on their own. When we play with toy cars, I make a "brrrr" noise. Other than that, however, I didn't do anything to try to teach him to use that noise, but he put it together. Eventually, everything from small toy cars to my truck became a "brrrr."

Food is much the same way. We started with feeding him with a spoon, then we moved up to finger foods he can manage on his own, and now we're giving him the spoon to use himself. They do things that make it clear they're ready to take the next step; you just have to be aware of it and help them along.

Basically, kids that age are little sponges who learn through repetition and observing. They'd probably eventually figure it all out on their own, so your job becomes finding ways to help them along and foster their growth.

Potty training, on the other hand, freaks me out a little. It just strikes me as a huge hassle.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ that type of post is the one of the indicators i was refering to ^^

potty training is a pretty big hassle, im not gonna lie to you. but getting them to sleep through the night without a diaper is even worse. have plenty of spare sheets.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^ that type of post is the one of the indicators i was refering to ^^
potty training is a pretty big hassle, im not gonna lie to you. but getting them to sleep through the night without a diaper is even worse. have plenty of spare sheets.

I have to start potty training and I have 2 of them...:embar:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

good luck man. make sure you have plenty of rags, febreeze and lysol in the house.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So we have digressed from fathers to baby ****.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So we have digressed from fathers to baby ****.

it would seem so, though its usually the peeing thats more of a hassle with potty training imo. less gross but far less contained and more frequent.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

good luck man. make sure you have plenty of rags, febreeze and lysol in the house.

I try to force the Eastern European nanny to start the process...

She is some authoritarian..

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

good luck, can't tell you how happy I am to be done with it

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I try to force the Eastern European nanny to start the process...
She is some authoritarian..
Hey ... watch out. Your kids will pick up on her politics. ;) Before you know it, they'll be joining the Conservative Party.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey ... watch out. Your kids will pick up on her politics. ;) Before you know it, they'll be joining the Conservative Party.

I will try my best they do not finish Tory believe me..

They might finish like Portillo...

Right-wing son or daughter of an immigrant....

They're the worse ones..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads