• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol Sunglasses YEAH or NAY

Noah.Dreams

Reaction score
The weight is due to the GLASS lenses not the frame. I understand the acetate is reinforced with metal but I can't stand the weight of glass.
Originally Posted by inq89
Persol is like the Rolls Royce of sunglasses in my eyes (if there ever was such a ranking system). And its not as played out as Ray Bans, and its understated luxury since many people won't recognize the Persol logo.

Quality seems to be very well made. My frames are thin but heavy.

Plus I got my pair from the trade forum for mega cheap, can't complain
smile.gif

FELT

Reaction score
I bought mine (the 649s) for their style, but really like the quality of the polarized lenses (I agree with the poster above that these are very heavy, though I like the feeling of solidity that gives).

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair 4 summers ago, (this coming) and in Oct 2010 the arm broke off.
I had to have a screw tightened or replaced 2 or 3 times.
I like them, and will prob buy some this spring (idiot, I know).
I believe the quality went south after Luxotica took over. So those in the know say.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of 54 649s... overall very impressed, especially with the lens quality. They are a tad on the heavy side, but I used to wear a pair of vintage Zeiss all metal and glass, so I'm used to heavy glasses (really light specs just feel 'cheap' somehow).

They are not my grail glasses, but I really do love the design of these. Maybe I'll upgrade again in a few years but I doubt I'll sell the Persols.

orlagu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I've heard the sz54 649/714s are for big heads only. Most ppl here seem to recommend buying the 52s if you are 'normal'...
+1. Although I'm Asian I have a big skull and have to wear size 54 in both 649 and 2857 (eyeglasses), which is big even for Caucasians. My advice for those who are confused about 649 sizing is that you should consult the hat sizing, if you are on the large size then you should definitely go for size 54.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
+1. Although I'm Asian I have a big skull and have to wear size 54 in both 649 and 2857 (eyeglasses), which is big even for Caucasians. My advice for those who are confused about 649 sizing is that you should consult the hat sizing, if you are on the large size then you should definitely go for size 54.
my hat size is 64cm so im close to the upper side of large... maybe bespoke sunglasses are my only option
frown.gif
can you tell me what size your head is? im looking at the 2989 in 57

orlagu

Reaction score
I'm a 61. Actually the 649 and 2857 fit my head a little bit snug, but overall it's still fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads