1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Persol Sunglasses YEAH or NAY

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Noah.Dreams, Sep 22, 2010.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. Noah.Dreams

Noah.Dreams Well-Known Member

Picked up these last year OP Boxley [​IMG]

3. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I've had my pair (with meflecto system) for over five years. They are my only pair and I wear them a lot. They're fine.

4. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I love my pair and wear them often. I have had a few others and the quality was good for the price I paid.

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Just don't sit on them, they won't survive that I've found.

They will if they have the meflecto system (flexible parts).

6. sfnapolifan

sfnapolifan Well-Known Member

there can be some quality control issues, but not a huge problem if you buy them from a luxottica-owned retailer.

i had a pair a few years ago (of an unfortunately discontinued style) where the lenses began to come away from the frame (not popping out, but on their way to doing so). went back to the retailer (sunglass hut) and got a replacement no questions asked. same thing began happening to the next pair. got another replacement. those were solid, but unforunately were lost. at that point the style had been discontinued.

would happily buy another pair if i could find one that suited me, though. the quality of the glass lenses is absolutely fantastic compared to other brands--everything looks better/sharper--particularly given how many have resorted to polycarbonate. the glass lenses also tend to be more scratch-resistant than polycarbonate, obviously.

7. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Picked up these last year OP Boxley

[​IMG]

noah what model are those?? I REALLY like them a lot!

8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think he said Boxley

I agree, they are great.

9. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

I have two pair I bought in 1994 and added prescription lenses--still going strong on the second set of lenses. In fact, it's about time for a third set...

10. inq89

inq89 Senior member

Persol is like the Rolls Royce of sunglasses in my eyes (if there ever was such a ranking system). And its not as played out as Ray Bans, and its understated luxury since many people won't recognize the Persol logo. Quality seems to be very well made. My frames are thin but heavy. Plus I got my pair from the trade forum for mega cheap, can't complain [​IMG]

11. Noah.Dreams

Noah.Dreams Well-Known Member

The weight is due to the GLASS lenses not the frame. I understand the acetate is reinforced with metal but I can't stand the weight of glass.
    Persol is like the Rolls Royce of sunglasses in my eyes (if there ever was such a ranking system). And its not as played out as Ray Bans, and its understated luxury since many people won't recognize the Persol logo.

Quality seems to be very well made. My frames are thin but heavy.

Plus I got my pair from the trade forum for mega cheap, can't complain [​IMG]

12. FELT

FELT Senior member

I bought mine (the 649s) for their style, but really like the quality of the polarized lenses (I agree with the poster above that these are very heavy, though I like the feeling of solidity that gives).

13. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Bought a pair 4 summers ago, (this coming) and in Oct 2010 the arm broke off.
    I had to have a screw tightened or replaced 2 or 3 times.
    I like them, and will prob buy some this spring (idiot, I know).
    I believe the quality went south after Luxotica took over. So those in the know say.

14. drechie

drechie Senior member

anyone looking to upgrade their 649/714s? i'll buy them off you - PM me. ha

15. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

Is it safe to buy Persol off eBay? Like from sellers who want $130-150 apiece?

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I bought a pair 20 years ago and they were great...

Yeah........

17. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I recently picked up a pair of 54 649s... overall very impressed, especially with the lens quality. They are a tad on the heavy side, but I used to wear a pair of vintage Zeiss all metal and glass, so I'm used to heavy glasses (really light specs just feel 'cheap' somehow).

They are not my grail glasses, but I really do love the design of these. Maybe I'll upgrade again in a few years but I doubt I'll sell the Persols.

18. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

any of their pairs suit a big head?

19. AE7

AE7 Senior member

any of their pairs suit a big head?

i have 2850s in size 59-16 - fit me perfectly

20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I've heard the sz54 649/714s are for big heads only. Most ppl here seem to recommend buying the 52s if you are 'normal'... I must have a big head I suppose because if anything, the 54s could be a little bigger for my nose/face.