• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who watch The Wire

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I still love this season. I agree that the serial killer thing is stretching the boundaries, but like I said, Hamsterdam was probably even more unrealistic, and I loved that subplot. I actually really like the newspaper focus--the guy who plays Gus Haynes (the city desk editor) is great. Makes me want to rent Homicide.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been waiting for someone to call out this season for having several lame elements (much moreso than the hamsterdam plot from a few seasons back). Of course I still love the show and wouldn't dare miss an episode without good reason.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
As far as downers go, I think Season 4 takes the cake there, as well. It's one thing to watch adults who have at least nominal power over some aspects of their lives screw-or-be-screwed; it's a whole other thing to see just how desperately *********** kids are from day one.

EDIT: Oops, now that Jodum5 changed "downers" to "lame elements", my post doesn't make that much sense... sorry.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think HBO fucked up by not giving them a full 12-13 episode season to work with.

This has been the weakest season, but it is still light years ahead of the final 2-3 seasons of the Sopranos.

The newspaper stuff I enjoy, mostly for Clark Johnson.

Clark directed Episode 1 of the first season and will be directing the final episode.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I'm still not seeing this as a bad season at all...I think its probably one of my favorites. The serial killer angle really isn't too far fetched. I do agree that they should have had a full run though...10 episodes is way too short

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I don't have On Demand....so jus saw tonights episode......and ****....knew it was going to happen soon, but damn. I'm actually sad.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
The show's not supposed to be completely realistic-- it's the mark of good fiction that it's an unreal situation in a real world. The Wire does that very well...

awcollin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
I don't have On Demand....so jus saw tonights episode......and ****....knew it was going to happen soon, but damn. I'm actually sad.

After all this time, you would have thought he would have gotten a grander send-off.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Actually, now that I've slept on it...I disagree....it wouldn't have fit with how Simon and Burns do things. I really don't see too many of the stories that are left to tell ending well (McNutty, Marlo, Carcetti)...

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
Actually, now that I've slept on it...I disagree....it wouldn't have fit with how Simon and Burns do things. I really don't see too many of the stories that are left to tell ending well (McNutty, Marlo, Carcetti)...

Bubbles is the only bright spot.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dang, as in you watched #8 on demand? I just did. Dang.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I would have to rank this as the second best season, in an Alpha-Omega sort of way. The show would have been better served if they had just moved on to something like this as apposed to trying to wring more unnecessary drama out of another "Barksdales" season. Just finished ep 9 and cant wait for the send off. Its supposed to be 2hrs, I imagine the ending to bring about some "business as usual" sort of closure to the show. As long as they avoid some gimmicky ending a la Sopranos I'll be forever grateful.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Dang, as in you watched #8 on demand? I just did. Dang.

Dang as in I watched episode nine.

Rome: that's exactly how I think It'll shape up. Some people will die, some will go to jail, others will be left standing to deal with the ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics