• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaked lapel appropriate for interviews?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say choose the peak lapel if you want to. The difference between it and a notch lapel, at least in the examples shown is so subtle that it will in all probability be overlooked by anyone likely to be put off by more flamboyant examples of dandyism, e.g., a colorful silken square flamboyantly puffed.

I think some of us tend to overlook the fact that the vast majority of the male sex, anyway, are not nearly as clothes conscious as we are.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warmpi
do not wear peaked lapels and do not wear brown shoes. they can't help you, but they can break you.
e.g. there are two equally qualified candidates except one is dressed less conservatively. all else being equal they will choose the more conservative individual

Somebody is going to have to prove that to me.

Peak lapels were long a dominant lapel through this century. Sure, the use of peak singles is a more recent return but not new by any stretch. I see nothing dandy nor so dramatically fashion forward about single peaks, especially as exemplified in that very conservative loking example posted by the OP.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Somebody is going to have to prove that to me.

Peak lapels were long a dominant lapel through this century. Sure, the use of peak singles is a more recent return but not new by any stretch. I see nothing dandy nor so dramatically fashion forward about single peaks, especially as exemplified in that very conservative loking example posted by the OP.

I don't think peaks are dramatically fashion forward, but they are somewhat out of the ordinary, and some folks don't like anything unusual or out of the ordinary. As a younger guy, I'm perfectly accustomed to seeing guys with gelled-up hair. But the very idea that a fellow might spike his hair caused an enormous uproar over at AA. Which goes to show that what one person might not think twice about might be cause for strong objection from another. With job interviews, you just don't know who you're going to get, and what their personality and biases will presuppose them to think. It's impossible to object to a notch, but such is not the case with peaks.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I don't think peaks are dramatically fashion forward, but they are somewhat out of the ordinary, and some folks don't like anything unusual or out of the ordinary. As a younger guy, I'm perfectly accustomed to seeing guys with gelled-up hair. But the very idea that a fellow might spike his hair caused an enormous uproar over at AA. Which goes to show that what one person might not think twice about might be cause for strong objection from another. With job interviews, you just don't know who you're going to get, and what their personality and biases will presuppose them to think. It's impossible to object to a notch, but such is not the case with peaks.

Iknow what you are saying but "not knowing what you are going to get" is the fault of the interviewee. He/she should prep his/her ass off and know what he is facing... some creative pre-calls, and inquiries can figure that out.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

One of the big reasons I was shying away from the notch was because the the high notch and high gorge. It looked more imbalanced than the peaked suit, but after seeing crpz32's suit it doesn't seem so bad in real life. I'm going navy because I already have a gray pinstriped suit that has served me well through internship interviews.

I'm not at all worried about anyone in engineering being "offended" by peaked lapels. They wouldn't know a lapel from a polo shirt. Consulting, on the other hand, I'm not as sure what to expect.

warmpi

Reaction score
consulting is a damn broad term...
if you're doing consulting from an engg background, I'm assuming Accenture/IBM/Deloitte?
consulting is a client facing position. in an interview you'll be judged on your appearance and presentation as much if not more so than your knowledge. I just don't think you should take the chance.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would not advocate the wearing of a single-breasted peaked lapel suit for any interview. And I interview lots of people, and not in some "ultra-conservative" law firm or Wall St. shop. I work at a manufacturing company and I interview everyone from receptionists to engineers to management professionals and I simply don't think the suit you posted is appropriate. Would I hire you or not hire you based on the suit alone? Of course not. But I'd notice. Even people who wouldn't know what to call a peaked lapel suit would say "There was something fashiony about his suit."

The purpose of an interview suit is for nobody to notice it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads