• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaked lapel appropriate for interviews?

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Wanted to know if there was any rule on type of lapels for interviews? Would color/buttons make a difference in your opinion? Did a search and surprisingly little came up on the subject.

Some info about my particular situation:
Interviews are coming up and I'm going purchase a solid navy suit for them. I'm most likely going to buy a m. valentino from the wizard of aahs ebay store. Seems like something a little slimmer fit with the best price / quality ratio.
The interviews will be with consulting firms or engineering companies. So no law or I-banking super conservatism.

The ebay store has a notched and a peak navy 2b
M. Valentino Peaked lapel (I'm 38R but this came up first)
VAL-21888-6-PEAK-2.jpg

M. Valention notched lapel (They have a silk blend as well, any experience with that fabric?)
VMO7_36_1.jpg

Personally, I like the peaked lapel better, but if it would look completely out of place then I'd take the notched suit.

PS. This is my first navy suit and I'd need to buy shirts and ties. Any color or pattern suggestions for interviews in a navy suit would be much appreciated.

fongstar

Reaction score
Peak lapel may not be as conservative an image as you would with a notch. But in your pics - I think it's fine to go either way.. it's quite subtle imo. But, I could be wrong when it comes to first impressions.

beny

Reaction score
Peak lapel would be fine.. that notch is also hideously large and too highly placed and the lapel is too wide IMO.

kdaust

Reaction score
If you like it go for it. You will be more confident in something you like than somehting you picked just because it was conservative.

I don't think the interviewer would even notice.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
If you like it go for it. You will be more confident in something you like than somehting you picked just because it was conservative.

In that case, a one-button single breasted jacket with a notch lapel or peak lapel (but most likely not a shawl lapel) would also be suitable for a job interview.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust

I have to go with this. Anyone who did would probably be more interested than annoyed, and in that case sticking out from the pack in such a non-intrusive way would only be to your benefit.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it would raise eyebrows if only because I see local news men and game show hosts wearing single breasted, peak lapel jackets. These people pander to the lowest common denominator and thus cannot afford to look elitist.

I hear a lot more about interviews going badly because the candidate is poorly groomed. I have never heard someone not getting a job because they were well dressed. If an interviewer for any sort of corporation dings a candidate for being well turned out, he is hurting his own organization. Almost all white collar jobs revolve around image and a neat, well groomed person demonstrates competency.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. what are you interviewing for?
2. what is the career situation of the people who have answered your question?

basically, in 99% of the time, I would say don't get either of these suits, get a conservative Brooks Brothers type suit for interviews. you don't want anybody to remember what you were wearing, you want them to remember that you offered a good impression.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you basically need one staple interview suit, a peaked lapel suit is not it. The Wiz has lots of other suits appropriate for business (charcoal, other navy suits, charcoal pinstripe) with notch lapels. Any of those would be preferable.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
basically, in 99% of the time, I would say don't get either of these suits, get a conservative Brooks Brothers type suit for interviews. you don't want anybody to remember what you were wearing, you want them to remember that you offered a good impression.

This is good advice. Get a conservative cut notch lapel suit for the interview. It will be a staple for a long time. You can get the peak for your next suit when you have the job.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
If you basically need one staple interview suit, a peaked lapel suit is not it. The Wiz has lots of other suits appropriate for business (charcoal, other navy suits, charcoal pinstripe) with notch lapels. Any of those would be preferable.
+1

While I like a peaked lapel, I think it is too fashion-forward for an interview suit, unless you are going for a job for a young, hip company in a creative field.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the suit and look great in it and you feel confident- go for it.

If for some silly and arcane reason you don't get the job because of your lapel style, would you really want that job?

Moreover, if you interview and they remember your lapels but not you, you weren't going to get that job anyway.

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp

+2

the Wiz has excellent suits. I would go with the notch lapel you just posted. Just received a M. Valentino suit from the wizard myself. Made a post asking for critiques at aaac. feel free to check it out.

I would not drop $600+ for a BB interview suit at this point. highly recommend the Wiz.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=86815

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd vote for notch for interviews. Some interviewers wouldn't notice, but some might. If you're young and starting out, you don't want to be perceived as "fancy" or "uppity." Most places are looking for a hard worker who is willing to play as part of a team, not a dandy who might think he's too good for the work. The goal of the interview is partly to show you understand the unspoken workplace protocols, and one of those is, "wear conservative clothing to the interview." You'll be judged not just on what you say, but the way you present yourself, and every aspect of your appearance factors into that, whether or not the interviewer is conciously aware of your peak lapels.

Again, many interviewers likely won't reach a negative conclusion, but there's little advantage to peaks and the potential for a very real downside.

warmpi

Reaction score
do not wear peaked lapels and do not wear brown shoes. they can't help you, but they can break you.
e.g. there are two equally qualified candidates except one is dressed less conservatively. all else being equal they will choose the more conservative individual

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads