• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal Disputes

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mess with paypal and get faster and better service from my credit card company.

tricket

Reaction score
I had a similar nightmare in June this year. I purchased a pair of shoes. They were never delivered. I filed a complaint via Paypal. The seller then unregistered himself as a ebay member. Paypal says they cannot proceed further. What can I do? Should I call my credit card company? It seems it's already too late to do this.
frown.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To those members that used your credit card company. In the case of a fake item how did you proceed?

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've had the opposite experience. UPS has repeatedly proven as unhelpful as possible, and if I had my way, I'd never do business with them again.
Well as with any shipper problems will occur. I can say that 95% of my shipments ship without issue with UPS. We just cant trust USPS as we have had problems before and all we got was go to the website, quality customer service? FedEx seems to have the best rates for Ground but why fix something when its not broken. Additionally FedEx online services were similar to USPS online, we start an account and were charged 3 times even though no shipment was made, it appears it was a test charge. Maybe they should test charge say $50K once. UPS tracking is far better than USPS, you contact them to check a shipment location and they say the old "Since 9-11" routine, dosent seem to effect UPS, FedEx or Airborne, hmm.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
To those members that used your credit card company. In the case of a fake item how did you proceed?

Boy, I am not sure much. I have used my CC company for a chargeback for merchandise not received after providing proofs and the sellers failure to show proof of delivery. But I am not so sure the CC company will engage a chargeback for this claim.

I would say at least they would request you to return shipment with proof of delivery then they would be able to process the claim.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricket
I had a similar nightmare in June this year. I purchased a pair of shoes. They were never delivered. I filed a complaint via Paypal. The seller then unregistered himself as a ebay member. Paypal says they cannot proceed further. What can I do? Should I call my credit card company? It seems it's already too late to do this.
frown.gif

I would call the CC company, let them tell you if it is too late or not. No fan of PayPal here, they will cave in fast for both buyer and seller, they have no teeth. The protection policies are hype and when you read line for line it offers nothing but loopholes for PayPal to crap out.

As for as the Merchant Charge Back the merchant company will require the seller to show proof of delivery, without that the temporary hold on the funds will become permanent. Be prepared to go around 3 or 4 times.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The package randomly showed up FIVE months later. I'm not kidding. Showed up postmarked from five months earlier. I have no idea what had happened to it in the interim. Crazy.
In about 1200 shipments so far, I've had three experiences with the post taking a crazy long time. Two were domestic, the third to Switzerland.

Once I had to refund the seller's money because my ghetto PO had not scanned the package, therefore I could not prove I shipped it. But because the buyer and I dealt with each other civilly, and because he was an honest person, when the thing finally got from NY to CA one month after shipping (!!!), he re-refunded my money. So, on one hand, we never went to the paypal tribunal, but on the other hand they got their cut 3x.

The Swiss guy got his money back via the tribunal, which was cumbersome...after he initiated the process, the item arrived, but like troop trains to the front in WWI it could not be stopped. Reversing the decision took a while, but we did it.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I probably would cause a stir but it was a $900 purchase.
Yup, that allays the comment I was about to post. Only time I have filed one was with a seller who just plain didnt send it to me. PP awarded in my favor. Except this was only a $40-odd purchase, of which they were able to recover $32, less the $25 Paypal fee, then its barely worth the hassle. I did it anyhow just cos I didnt want that fraudulent prick having my money, so handing most of it over to PP was the lesser of two evils.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whnay: I don't know about your CC company but mine will chargeback items which are not as promised. You will probably have to return the item though. Which is probably not a problem for you.
smile.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
whnay: I don't know about your CC company but mine will chargeback items which are not as promised. You will probably have to return the item though. Which is probably not a problem for you.
smile.gif

Yeah I guess the thing I'm asking myself is, can I *********** in it beforehand.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Yeah I guess the thing I'm asking myself is, can I *********** in it beforehand.
Can you see the look on the guy's face when he opens the package?

crackup[1].gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheers.gif

billiebob

Reaction score
While we're trashing PayPal here, some jerk opened up a PayPal account with my stolen credit card # (perhaps copied off a card left as a bar tab) and bought a couple hundred bucks worth of junk on ebay.

When I asked PayPal to delete the fraudulent account and charge me back the $200, they scoffed, and locked my real account instead!

Horrified, I went to my CC company, who immediately credited my account and kept it credited.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics