1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Stuart Sales

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Apr 5, 2005.

1. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Tis true. A purchase of five or six shoes, provided they fit right and were the style/colors for which you ordinarily go, would have been a wise purchase yesterday. The only downside to buying "low" at bulk rates to account for future use is that it limits your ability to buy in the future. Only to the extent that you get enjoyment out of shopping/buying in an of itself should this consideration limit you from buying low in bulk.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

(chorse123 @ April 13 2005,09:03) I think $180 is undeniably a fair price. It's not quite low enough to justify unnecessary purchases in my case, and I'm sure for a few others.
    Think about the dollar vs. euro, though, and the growing cost of consumer (esp. European luxury) goods vs. overall inflation. Given that PS apparently only has these sales every 3-4 years, this is quite possibly the last time that shoes of this quality will be available for $180. You can get 4 or 5 Grenson masterpieces for the retail price of 1 pair of E. Greens. For many people, that's well worth it. Just my $0.02.
    Sadly, a pair of E.G.'s is far out of my price range, but I do see your point. If I hadn't stocked up some on shoes this past year (2 C&Js, 2 Grensons, 1 Loake suede brogues) I'd be doing it now. apropos of nothing, I really love this board today. [​IMG]

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Me too. [​IMG] Especially with von Rothbart posting pics of the side-laced Grenson's. Alas, I would never be able to pull those off, but they are gorgeous nonetheless.

5. von Rothbart

6. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

(chorse123 @ April 13 2005,09:56) apropos of nothing, I really love this board today. Â [​IMG]
    Me too. Â [​IMG] Especially with von Rothbart posting pics of the side-laced Grenson's. Alas, I would never be able to pull those off, but they are gorgeous nonetheless.
    Initially I thought so as well. Went ahead and got em in the Walnut and wore them to Daniel last night. Love em.

7. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Just got back from the sale. Picked up a blue wool tie, a sport shirt and, oh yeah, a pair of Grenson Masterpiece Brown Wholecuts with a medallion. The shoes are sweet.

The good news. Still some nice shoes left in assorted sizes. (Funny, the shoe guy refused to say where the Stuart;s Choice shoes are made.) Sports coats and suits left.

The bad news: Ties = virtually all gone, belts = gone, socks = a dim memory at $7.00/pair, sports shirt = vanishing, sweaters, only in small, medium, or x-large unless you want bulky, pants = not a lot of great choices for 35" or less waists.

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

The side laced walnut are stunning in person - if they had my size, I would have bit in a heartbeat.

9. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

I guess I meant at the office. They'd definitely attract (unwanted) attention where I work.

10. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I'm quite chuffed with my pair. Sporting the brown jodhpur boot today and it's rather nice as well, though not as comfortable initially as was the sidelace.

11. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Yeah, when I was trading, the majority of my shoes never saw the office. Know what you mean.

12. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

What a difference from yesterday. The shoes I think are going like hotcakes. There are however, still much more shoes left mind you. More bolts of fabrics, I would say better selection from yesterday since they had some stripes and a grey cashmere blend Zegna cloth. Coarse weave, excellent for a laid back sportcoat. More selection of sportcoats also. I think I will be heading back there everyday to see what is new. Also, some prices were marked even further down.

13. dah328

dah328 Senior member

There were still a lot of Stuart's Choice shoes left this afternoon in many sizes. The 10-10.5-11 seemed pretty picked over, but other sizes still had lots of brown boxes. I found a couple pair that they moved from a different table but I'm a small size. They're not adding additional shoe stock. There were more ties this afternoon than last night (I've been there way too much) and the sport coat/suit racks still looked pretty full. Socks and belts are pretty much gone. Didn't look for trousers or sweaters.

dan

14. seok

seok Senior member

A question germane to the topic of stocking up on shoes while they're cheap:
    > How would you store shoes which you know you won't wear for a year (or two)? I.e. For someone working in a conservative office environment, is it wise to have 3 pairs of Grensons/Peals boxed up in storage? Or do these shoes have a shelf life?

Chris from Bennies, if you're reading this message I was a customer from CT who ordered 3 pairs...

15. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I'd stuff the shoes with tissue paper and store them in your closet. Assuming you don't have awful heat/humidity problems in your closet, they'll be fine. Under the bed is another possibility, as this tends to stay a pretty constant temperature.

But you could always just rotate them. I could easily rotate seven to eight pairs of shoes in my business wardrobe. It allows you to get enjoyment out of each pair without getting sick of any one pair.

16. von Rothbart

(Patrick Bateman @ April 13 2005,10:26) I guess I meant at the office. They'd definitely attract (unwanted) attention where I work.
    Yeah, when I was trading, the majority of my shoes never saw the office. Know what you mean.
    I don't think I'd wear those side-laced to the office. But they're perfect for dinner, opera & ballet, wedding and all other social functions. How often do you see people wearing side-laced?

17. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

(tgfny @ April 13 2005,13:29)
    I guess I meant at the office. They'd definitely attract (unwanted) attention where I work.
    I don't think I'd wear those side-laced to the office. Â But they're perfect for dinner, opera & ballet, wedding and all other social functions. Â How often do you see people wearing side-laced?
    I'd never seen em anywhere until yesterday. Still wondering who's buying the ghillies. Never seen those worn without a dirk and kilt.

18. sashae

sashae Senior member

They had definitely put out new things since yesterday -- the tan wholecuts I bought in 10D were also available in black and olivey/brown, as well as the side-lace jobs in walnut and black, and the dark brown pebbled monks (which I really, really want to buy but my wife will most likely throttle me.) Wide selection on the ends of the size ranges (12+, :cool: from what I saw. Cleaned them out of women's knits and shirts -- at $200 marked down to $50 for shirts, and $500+ for cashmere sweaters marked down to $100, it's hard to go wrong, and I get extra credit with my wife [​IMG] -s

19. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

sooo tempted to go back but can't. i'd throttle myself

20. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

After reading this stuff all day, I gotsta get back there.