• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart Sales

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zjpj83 and sashe,

Thanks. That's what I thought. When do you usually wear tan/brown wholecuts? What color of suit/ slacks?

B
I wear brown with every color except for black. I wear black and burgundy shoes with black. Other than that, you can wear brown wholecuts with pretty much everything - navy, gray, charcoal, etc.

sashae

Reaction score
I was planning on wearing mine primarily with an olive/tan suit I have, but they'll go well with my light grey suit as well.

-s

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C, my wife actually thanked me for a recent purchase because it put us over the hump for a free cross-country airline ticket that otherwise would've cost us $500. My response: "I can buy more if you'd like."
smile.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, here's my thought -- getting incredible deals on suits are, while not a dime a dozen, not an incredibly rare thing. It happens at least on a regular basis.

However, very rarely can you find Grensons for $180 what appears to be an incredible range of sizes, colors, and styles. We've seen something like this twice in the past 9 months -- Bennies and this event.

How often can we hope for something like this to come along?

On suitings...
I envy the big people on this forum who speak of their $400-600 Isaia suits and the ease of finding Zegna in a variety of colors and fabrics for less than $700. For all the 38s, and especially the 36s, finding ANYTHING that is either half-canvas or canvassed on sale is a chore. In fact, this is the first time I've found decent quality RTW in the past 18 months.

On shoes...
The Paul Stuart sale at the flagship was almost as good. The prices were definitely a little higher, but I didn't see any shell cordovan today (and I went early). At the last sale, I came across 3 pairs in shell cordovan marked down to less than $150. Luckily, a pair of loafers was in my size. So lighting strikes three times.

The end of the Barney's warehouse sale used to have a couple of C&J Handgrades approach the $150 mark. I haven't seen that in awhile, and the Hermes sales at the French Institue routinely has Lobbs offered for $300-450, which isn't a bad price.

According to the two gentlemen who were waiting in the line in front of me, the last sale was 3-4 years ago... so you probably need to wait until the next presidential election to drive/fly/train to NYC for this type of sale.

Cheers,
NCT

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and the Hermes sales at the French Institue routinely has Lobbs offered for $300-450, which isn't a bad price.
Did you see any Lobbs at the Hermes sales at the French Institute about a month ago? I went and I didn't see any Lobbs.

cpac

Reaction score
well I went, and I'm back.

They had about 6 or 7 choices in 44XL, and another 10 or 12 in 45XL.

I ended up with (and forgive my lack of terminology here) a light grey - black and white lines doing a sort of herringbone thing that has subtle blue strips running between the zigs and zags. Super 120s, 2 button, single vent, was $1200, for me $400.

Also, a winter weight brown suit, 3 button, double vents, whatever you call it when there's the third flap pocket on one side, that was $1000, for me $300.

Shoes were very tempting, but the size 13s were fairly picked over. All the decent ties were gone.

Picked up a couple shirts for the wife (285 and 175 each on sale for 50).

Not a bad deal at all.

fashionrookie

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for the Loro Piana sale at the same location. I waited well over an hour to get in at the previous sale. The line nearly reached 8th Avenue for the Piana sale. I believe the sale was held in May of 2004.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On suitings...
I envy the big people on this forum who speak of their $400-600 Isaia suits and the ease of finding Zegna in a variety of colors and fabrics for less than $700.  For all the 38s, and especially the 36s, finding ANYTHING that is either half-canvas or canvassed on sale is a chore.  In fact, this is the first time I've found decent quality RTW in the past 18 months.
That is something that also gives me a gripe or two.  If your size is 40 to 48 you get to select your high quality suits from many maders and a wide variety of styles and fabrics - then pay half price or less.  If your size is 38 or smaller, you can stand there all day waiting for something to come past in your size, then pay full price for something that you do not dearly love.  Just because you finally have something that fits.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your size is 38 or smaller, you can stand there all day waiting for something to come past in your size, then pay full price for something that you do not dearly love. Just because you finally have something that fits.
I have spent far too much buying something simply because it fits. Those days are finally over.

Ed355

Reaction score
(johnnynorman3 @ April 12 2005,08:18) Are those the ties you bought today?
Yeah, I got the ties today. I posted pics of my new linen spectators in the spectator thread. Â Here are some other nice examples.
Is anyone going to the sale on Wednesday? I would very much like to get a pair of the spectators in size 9D (second photo in the post above). I will reimburse the kind soul for the costs and shipping. Thanks guys.

seok

Reaction score
I also wanted to put in a request for a favour - if anyone is heading to the sale, I'd love to pick up the 5 ties for $60 deal, if there are at least 2 or more decent silk ties left (and I'll take the rest in other fabrics). I wholeheartedly trust your judgments...

I'll gladly pay for the cost + shipping + sandwich/roundtrip subway/goodwill, as well as a favour owed whenever I'm in NY/Seoul/Beijing/Jakarta. I've bought many things from SF members responsibly.

Regards,
Seok

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have spent far too much buying something simply because it fits.  Those days are finally over.
I generally agree with you 100%. But, for a number of very good reasons, I've got in a situation where I need a number of items. For the last several years. I've simply not been able to find anything that would work very well. And I did not go shopping when in NY, DC, Chicago, etc. Those of us out here in the hinterlands, who wear smaller sizes, do not have the opportunities at the goods that are available in the major cities, particularly on sale at terms that the folks have described here. My program is to find a couple of basic type suits and jackets, have them altered to make them fit, then go the Hong Kong tailor route on his next barnstorming tour.

Ed355

Reaction score
I also wanted to put in a request for a favour - if anyone is heading to the sale, I'd love to pick up the 5 ties for $60 deal, if there are at least 2 or more decent silk ties left (and I'll take the rest in other fabrics). I wholeheartedly trust your judgments...

I'll gladly pay for the cost + shipping + sandwich/roundtrip subway/goodwill, as well as a favour owed whenever I'm in NY/Seoul/Beijing/Jakarta. I've bought many things from SF members responsibly.

Regards,
Seok
Yes, I would be happy to buy stuff for forum members in or around Hong Kong (I live in Hong Kong but travel a lot). One idea may be for me to follow up on your orders with Jantzen (or check a sample shirt fabric for you).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads