1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Stuart Sales

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Apr 5, 2005.

1. mussel

mussel Senior member

Up to 80% off
    4/12-4/14 (9am-6:30pm); 4/15 (9am-5pm)
    560 Seventh Ave., at 40th St., second fl., 718-747-1656

Don't ask me why 718 area code.

2. demeis

demeis Senior member

will this be online at all or just in the store?

3. mussel

mussel Senior member

I don't think it'll be online. It's an off-site sale. Call them up for more info.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Any idea on how big the shoe sale will be? (Not that I need any). I had heard that about 9 months ago there were some golden deals on shoes.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I am SO there.

6. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Why the last day special?  Was it because of further reduction?  Are there going to be any Stuart's Choice/Grenson Masterpieces?

7. johnnynorman3

I just noticed this isn't even at the Paul Stuart store. What the heck do they even make available at this type of sale? I doubt, for example, that they will have Stuart's Choice suits on sale for $600, right? Is this just their awful inventory that they've never moved at all?

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

The address is a venue where sample sales are usually held. I think there was a mention of a Malo sample sale a month or two ago that was at that location, too. Merchandise is hit or miss as it is with most sample sales. Since PS had their Grenson shoes on sale for so long, I doubt many good pairs will make this sale. I doubt it's worth a special trip, but someone will probably report back after stopping by.

dan

9. sashae

sashae Senior member

I work up the block, so I was planning on making a stop through.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

My guess is that, like many sample sales, there will be a lot of knitwear. I got some amazing sweaters at the Asprey sample sale.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

to all who are my size, you definitely shouldn't go

12. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

This Paul Stuart sale is run regularly by an outside company which stages similar sales for other stores and manufacturers. E.g., it runs sales for Loro Piana.

I believe that the company is called Sofa or something like that.

The sale is held in the auditorium of a school or union hall affiliated the apparel trade at Seventh Avenue near 41st Street.

It appears that this is a consolidation sale.

My wife went to the Paul Stuart sale a few years ago. She picked-up two pairs of shoes for me which were both first rate. (Paul Stuart Select)

I have visited some of the Loro Piana sales. Some of them sold pre-packaged cuts of suitings.

These sales, like all bargain sales, are hit and miss. It's worth a visit if it's not out of your way.

Cheers.

13. fashionrookie

fashionrookie New Member

FYI: SOIFFER/HASKIN Cordially invites you to a private sale of PAUL STUART MENSWEAR & WOMENSWEAR Men's Suits, Sportcoats, Trousers, Outerwear & Furnishings Including: Ties, Shirts, Robes, Pajamas, Sweaters and Shoes Women's Suits, Sportjackets, Shirts, Sweaters, Outerwear, Slacks, Knits & Accessories Also Available: Fabric in suit and jacket lengths UP TO 80% OFF TUESDAY, APRIL 12TH through FRIDAY, APRIL 15TH Tuesday through Thursday: 9:00am to 6:30pm Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm To be held at: 560 SEVENTH AVENUE Corner of 40th Street. Auditorium, 2nd Floor. (Strollers not allowed. No children under 12 will be admitted.) CREDIT CARDS ONLY (American Express, Visa or MasterCard) All sales final. No exchanges. No returns. No shipp ing. No alterations For more information, call (718) 747-1656, Monday through Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm. www.soifferhaskin.com

14. kabert

kabert Senior member

I guess this is what PS does rather than sell to someone like Filene's Basement. (Although I do recall seeing a couple of PS sweaters at a DC Filene's back in the mid or late 1990s.) Sure wish I could make it to NY.

15. Buster

Buster Senior member

How is PS quality-wise? are the jackets canvased?

B

16. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Yes, fully canvassed.

If you get a chance, walk by their window displays around the corner from the Madison Avenue side. There's a half-finished suit jacket on display that shows the canvas lining.

17. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I don't think all their stuff is canvassed.  I scored a great PS jacket at a thrift shop, but it's almost certainly fused.

dan

EDIT: I checked again and the jacket is canvassed. It's a coarser navy material and I think that threw me off the first time.

18. johnnynorman3

Who knows with older stuff. All the newer stuff is made by Isaia, St. Andrews, or Samuelsohn I think. None of those companies does fused products I don't think.

19. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Just to clarify my previous post, I have been a PS customer for only a few years, but one of my girlfriend's family members has been working at PS for the last 10 years. He is proud of the product he sells, and rightly so. Unlike some "high fashion brands" or even Ralph Lauren (Blue Label), PS would never sell $1200 fused suits to its discerning customers.

I cannot speak to the suits PS made more than 10 years ago, but when my father and his brother were starting out as lawyers in New York in the late '70's, the purchase of a Paul Stuart suit was a sign that you had "made good." I highly doubt that the quality then was lower than it is today.

20. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Don't be frightened by the headless mannequins in the windows.
    Grayson