• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PARABOOT APPRECIATION THREAD 2018 - NEWS, PICTURES, CLOTHING, ACCESSORIES, ETC.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the Avignon, Chambord, Reims and Adonis loafer. I take my UK size in all of them and that is one size down from my US brannock.

There is no way I could go down a half size further since the length would be way too short.

Last edited:

eloshine

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone have experience with the plain toe derby model, Issy? Trying to figure out my size in this model (usually take Alden Barrie 7.5, and sz 8 in Leydon). Thanks!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent tutorial on breaking in and adjusting the fit for not just Michaels but any model. My personal experience is that I'd much rather have a shoe slightly large so that I can easily move my toes and then tweak the fit with a tongue pad or thin leather and cork innersole than to have something too snug or fit a bit short. (My most comfortable pair of Lobbs have a tongue pad)

I'm sure since the time of your post, that the Michaels have broken in and the shoes travels much more fluidly than they did when new. Heel slip happens with this shoe for the mere reason that this shoe has a two eyelet lace system. There's not much holding the foot in here and consequently your foot wants to slip out. We do not recommend sizing down this shoe to make it fit, that will throw off the arch measurement. We like fitting with heavier socks, Paraboot feel so much better with loftier socks. Paraboot does not come in widths and do usually run wide but some run narrower than others. Avignon feels narrower because of its narrower toe box.
When buying any shoe that has such a rigid sole structure like Paraboot, you must understand that these type of shoes require some break in.

To excelerate the break in, we do this:
  • From the arch side of the shoe, grab the shoe so that your thumb lands inside the shoe at the section where the ball of your foot would rest.
  • Now, placing the shoe on a table or your leg so the toe box extends over the edge, lift the front of the shoe up and back a few time to simulate breaking in as though you were actually walking them around.
  • You have now broken in the sole at the ball of the foot and you will experience a shoe that travels better than a fresh pair out of the box.
  • Add a heel gripper (we like the suede one)
  • Add a tongue pad only if your instep is shallow and you find the bluchers come close together when you lace them.
  • Add a full length insole if you have narrow feet and must own a pair.
  • Wear them a thousand miles and have a Paraboot Authorized Shoe Repair restore life back into them.
  • Yup! we are.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up the suede Avignon from Cettire because it was a good price (~$275 shipped) and because I wanted to check out the model and explore sizing larger than my 10.5 UK Chambords. Here are some brief notes on the size 11 UK Avignons:

The Avignon's toe box is much more bulbous than I would have expected from the photos or a Norwegian Split Toe style. It is not as aggressively rounded as the golf style of the Chambord, but not that far off.

The Avignon has a higher instep/less volume than the Chambord, even in a half size larger. The Chambord has higher sidewalls that dig into my ankle bones a bit (although I quickly broke them in). The Avignons hit lower on my ankle.

The Avignon has a more accommodating last (subjective) and allows greater width for the toes (but again, less volume) than the Chambord. Having gone up a half size, I also had a bit more room lengthwise in which to wiggle my toes.

The stitching on the Avignon's toe box is pretty underwhelming when compared to Alden's NST. I realize they serve different market segments, but it's worth noting. I've included a pic of my Alden NST tanker below for comparison.

Different sole than the Chambord but, like the Chambord, the Avignon's sole is comfortable out of the box (maybe more so due to the last).

I don't believe I could have taken an 11 UK in the Chambord without it being too much volume for my feet, even if it would have allowed a bit more length and a bit more width in what is a somewhat-narrow last. Conversely, I don't think I would be comfortable in an 10.5 UK Avignon, due to the reduced instep and, to a lesser extent, what narrowing and pointedness there is at the toe.

I am a 12 D (left foot closer to 12.5 D) and fairly flat-footed.

Comparing the toe stitch on the Paraboots with my Alden tankers was a bit of a specious argument.

1638650323896.png

Treble

Reaction score
The Chimey model is interesting, it's as if Barth and Michael had a baby. Not a period shoe but Heavy duty / Rugged IVY vibe met.

stomp-into-spring-in-paraboots-chimey-lis-pair-front-and-bottom.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought the Michaels in black from Totem. Started with a 43.5 because so many folks said these "run large" and to go a half size smaller. (I'm a 10.5-11US or UK 10 with a medium-narrow foot and heel.) I returned them because the 43.5 was too short. The 44EU arrived and the fit is ideal with room to wiggle my toes and a nice snug fit over my instep when laced.

Nat25

Reaction score
are you 8.5 Uk or 8.5 us in paraboot vs 9 US in Alden?

Iskander

Reaction score
I’m an 11US, 10UK and 10.5 in the Barrie. I have the same brown suede Avignon en route from Clutch Cafe. I ordered the 9.5UK based on their recommendation. They originally sent the wrong model (Michael) and I found them too small. I thought about going up a half size to 10UK but Clutch recommended I stay with 9.5.

I’ll let you know when they arrive.
Hi there, did you received the shoes yet? Any thoughts on the sizing?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, did you received the shoes yet? Any thoughts on the sizing?
I wrote out a long detailed response when they arrived. Could have sworn I posted it! Getting old sucks.

They actually fit great in a 9.5/43.5. I was truly surprised given how short the Michael fit in 9.5UK. I figured I’d have to return them but all worked out well.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Iskander wearing the Avignon in brown suede today for the first time (they were an Xmas gift) and I can't stress enough how surprised I am that they actually fit. I ended up with a half size down from my normal UK size of 10, which is 1.5 down from my US Brannock size 11.

For reference I have slightly wide feet but still a D width and slightly high volume/instep. Plenty of length in Paraboot's 9.5UK/43.5EU with no pinky toe discomfort.

Very impressed with Clutch Cafe even though they made a mistake, they quickly rectified the situation and their sizing advice was spot on.

DSC02950.jpg
DSC02953.jpg

I bought the Sanders Brit Chukka from Clutch earlier this year and they recommended a half size down from regular Sanders size and it worked out great! I'd have been swimming in my standard Sanders size.

Iskander

Reaction score
@Iskander wearing the Avignon in brown suede today for the first time (they were an Xmas gift) and I can't stress enough how surprised I am that they actually fit. I ended up with a half size down from my normal UK size of 10, which is 1.5 down from my US Brannock size 11.

For reference I have slightly wide feet but still a D width and slightly high volume/instep. Plenty of length in Paraboot's 9.5UK/43.5EU with no pinky toe discomfort.

Very impressed with Clutch Cafe even though they made a mistake, they quickly rectified the situation and their sizing advice was spot on.

View attachment 1726707 View attachment 1726708

I bought the Sanders Brit Chukka from Clutch earlier this year and they recommended a half size down from regular Sanders size and it worked out great! I'd have been swimming in my standard Sanders size.
Very appreciated, thank you!

John_Dunn

Reaction score
This is an excellent tutorial on breaking in and adjusting the fit for not just Michaels but any model. My personal experience is that I'd much rather have a shoe slightly large so that I can easily move my toes and then tweak the fit with a tongue pad or thin leather and cork innersole than to have something too snug or fit a bit short. (My most comfortable pair of Lobbs have a tongue pad)

My Michaels were short from the beginning but I stuck with the advice of not taking a larger size. Months later they have broken in and I can walk 8 to 10 miles in them with and theyre super comfortable.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wearing my new Paraboot Pro Super Rando’s today for the first time. Wish I could say I was on my first accent into the Whites with them on but that would be a foolish move in new boots.
8FEA3A57-E536-4AB4-BEFC-617D036BC855.jpeg
536B460C-F123-4BB8-840C-2BC8C65792D4.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads