• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paisley tie for a banking interview?

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
I always love questions like this regarding interview attire......it's an hour of your life that could have a big effect on the next two, three or more years of your life.....can't you just suck it up and wear a conservative tie??? Why take the chance?

+1

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My aunt told me you always want to dress the way your interviewer dresses.
If you know the interview is going to be for a conservative firm and the interviewer will likely be dressed formally, I think it would be better to go with the flow rather than stick out like a weed.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I always love questions like this regarding interview attire......it's an hour of your life that could have a big effect on the next two, three or more years of your life.....can't you just suck it up and wear a conservative tie??? Why take the chance?

I was asking this because I wasn't even sure if paisley ties were really that "flashy" in the first place. It wasn't like I had my heart set on a paisley tie. Ass.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I was asking this because I wasn't even sure if paisley ties were really that "flashy" in the first place. It wasn't like I had my heart set on a paisley tie. Ass.

You're not going to get a job with that attitude, young padawan.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score

I was asking this because I wasn't even sure if paisley ties were really that flashy in the first place. It wasn't like I had my heart set on a paisley tie.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
It depends largely on the color of the tie though I think the most approriate would be a navy tie with a dot motif.

Dude, I don't get you. Aren't you like 15 years old? How in the hell would you have any experience to speak on the topic of what a person should wear to an interview for a job at an investment bank? I don't mean to pick on you, but people actually take the advice they learn here and apply it in real life and I see you doing this all the time. Why do you insist on giving opinions that you are not qualified to give?

To the OP: listen to guys like gdl who actually work in investment banking, not some kid that's barely in high school.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pwned.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yea that's cool

hehehehe
smile.gif

millionaire75

Reaction score
Leftover Salmon, apologies if my post came off harsh....you're question was fine....I meant more when people insist and don't take advice from other posters on here.....that being said, don't wear the paisley tie....

AZTEC

Reaction score
There's as much variety and background amongst interviewers as there is amongst candidates. Don't be a wimp.

Wear what you like and what you think looks good. If YOU are unsure, go conservative or whatever makes you feel comfortable.

My (albeit unsolicited) advice: forget IB, take off the tie and go interview with a hedge fund.

AZTEC

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AZTEC
There's as much variety and background amongst interviewers as there is amongst candidates. Don't be a wimp.

Wear what you like and what you think looks good. If YOU are unsure, go conservative or whatever makes you feel comfortable.

My (albeit unsolicited) advice: forget IB, take off the tie and go interview with a hedge fund.

AZTEC

LOL
laugh.gif
unqualified AND unrequested advice. That's the best!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads