• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is interesting -- it flags one of the questions that occurs to me when this topic pops up periodically: "Assuming DWW is right that oxfords don't (usually) go with odd jackets, what's the point of full brogue oxfords?" Personally, I wouldn't wear them with a suit. But maybe that's just because, if I'm wearing a suit, I really mean to be "dressed up," so cap toes feel right. If full brogue oxfords don't work with an odd jacket either then it's hard to see when they're useful.

(Sort of relatedly, I've never been much of a fan of cap toe derbies either. Not sure why, just an idiosyncratic preference I think.)

what about casual suits? Cotton or brown linen, or tweed?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is interesting -- it flags one of the questions that occurs to me when this topic pops up periodically: "Assuming DWW is right that oxfords don't (usually) go with odd jackets, what's the point of full brogue oxfords?" Personally, I wouldn't wear them with a suit. But maybe that's just because, if I'm wearing a suit, I really mean to be "dressed up," so cap toes feel right. If full brogue oxfords don't work with an odd jacket either then it's hard to see when they're useful.
Not all suits are equally "dressy". I wear mine with tweed suits.

db123456

Reaction score
what about casual suits? Cotton or brown linen, or tweed?

Maybe that's the answer -- and as I mentioned, I don't really wear that sort of suit, so that context isn't really on my radar. If I'm in a suit, it's pretty much always a "city" suit -- for a court hearing, or a meeting with a relatively conservative client.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just remembered I used to have some Church's full brogue oxfords in a light-coloured suede on crepe soles. I think they looked good with almost anything other than a dark, formal suit. Okay, not shorts, but you get my point.

(I now wonder what happened to them. I must've lost them in a move, or not bothered resoling them because the local cobbler didn't do crepe maybe.)

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried a pair of Peal oxford brogues in a dark brown suede while sporting odd trousers and a coat. I've probably had them since the 90's and they appeared unused ... so it was time to wear them. They looked okay. I wouldn't say it was an ideal combination but given my age I better wear the darn things before it's too late. I will say my doctor at UW Med liked the shoes.

You probably looked great. Nice job. Way tk step it up

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
casual suits are a very small percentage of the suit world.
brogued oxfords are a huge percentage of the shoe.

So as far as @db123456 question, I do not think that the vast world of full brogued oxfords are intended for the limited use of casual suits.

Just because things exist doesn't mean they should.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear oxford brogues with suits but only when the fabric has some texture or color variation. Solid navy suits, for example, scream for black cap-toed oxfords. Brogues would look off with a suit like that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

(Sort of relatedly, I've never been much of a fan of cap toe derbies either. Not sure why, just an idiosyncratic preference I think.)

I think full brogues can be worn with a suit, casual or formal.

March 1935 Apparel Arts drawing showing a grey glen check suit with black wingtips. I think the combo would look good today.

15878317803_c18b197a8a_b.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so now there entire market of brogued oxfords shouldn’t exist?

the lengths some people are going to support a made up rule….

I never said that...I like brogued oxfords just fine. The question wasn't even about wearing them with odd trousers, it was about wearing them with suits. You're the one who twisted it to fit your bizarre point.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I never said that...I like brogued oxfords just fine. The question wasn't even about wearing them with odd trousers, it was about wearing them with suits. You're the one who twisted it to fit your bizarre point.

my bad…
I thought you were implying that brogued oxfords shouldn’t exist
(As the question was, what are the point of them, and I thought that was your response)

my apologies if I misconstrued the intent of your post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads