• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P Johnson MTM

bhall41

Reaction score
Looks good. Still keen to try P Johnson for my next suit.

quar

Reaction score
Definitely lengthen the sleeves as far as they'll go. Too much shirt cuff on display.

The lower angle from which the shot is taken makes it a little hard to judge. My honest opinion is that the buttoning point looks high. But it may be the angle playing tricks.

Good on you for posting pictures.

"6"

Reaction score

Wasn't intending on posting, with PG awesomeness intimidating the f@ck out of me, but Sunday afternoon procrastination got the better.

Here is my P Johnson navy three piece. It's in shade lighter then French navy. I have worn it a few times now, both with and without the waistcoat, and have gotten far more complements then anything else I have ever put on before - so something must be right with it. After my first fitting we had to move the sleeves down, but looking at this pic, it could do with a cm or so more. Overall I am really happy with it. Happy to hear of any critique that I can include in any future orders.

As mentioned earlier, I have a solid mid grey on order with the same dimensions (I think we added 0.5cm to the chest) - three piece again for versatility. After that, I think a POW check is in order...

Very very noice. :foo::foo:

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice words... also here is a crappy blackberry photo (with added mirror grit) of the suit as I wore it today sans waistcoat:

Somebody commented on the button stance. This was a bit of detail where I spent a bit of time going over with Tom. In the end we decided on the point based on my natural waist and overall balance of the jacket. I think that it looks higher when worn with the waistcoat.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice suit checky. And it looks good on you.

[ I was going to say "You'll grow into it" but I thought better of it]

To my eye the burgundy tie goes better with the 2 piece and the darker tie goes better with the buttoned up look of the 3 piece. With a 3piece it's nice to keep the flow of the similar colour all the way through rather than contrast with the tie.Similar with shoes, dark or black keeps that encased body look as I see it and emphasizes the 3 piece top to toe flow.

"6"

Reaction score

Thanks for the nice words... also here is a crappy blackberry photo (with added mirror grit) of the suit as I wore it today sans waistcoat:

Somebody commented on the button stance. This was a bit of detail where I spent a bit of time going over with Tom. In the end we decided on the point based on my natural waist and overall balance of the jacket. I think that it looks higher when worn with the waistcoat.

Still can't get over the fact that Check is a (seemingly) white man and not a black kid.

Does this pink shirt have shorter sleeves? The amount of shirt cuff poking out here looks great.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Still can't get over the fact that Check is a (seemingly) white man and not a black kid.

Wotja talkin' 'bout?

Does this pink shirt have shorter sleeves? The amount of shirt cuff poking out here looks great.

Same shirt sleeves length as before - this shirt just happens to sit where is it supposed to because it has slightly better fitting cuffs. I suspect that some of the problem is that I have dainty wrists, so they have a tendency to fall further down when my hands are by my side. In a perfect world I would like to have my shirts fit more snug around my wrists so they won’t fall down, with a bit of give in the arm to allow for movement. As a side project I want is to start replacing my OTR shirts with MTM - as I have always had issues with sleeve lengths and how they sit (dainty writs, plus lean build plus long arms equal bad OTR shirt experiences).

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in my ramblings on my P Johnson Tailors experience please see my post here - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...johnson-tailors-a-few-days-ago-i-had-my-first

A few additional notes for Style Forum users.

- Tom said they are working on a price list for the website. He said they will be charging for the extras as their margins are very tight. Call them with any questions.

- Here is a breakdown of my pricing order. NOTE - AS HAS BEEN STATED ON THIS SITE MANY TIMES PRICES FOR MTM ARE ON AN INDIVIDUAL ORDER BASIS SO THESE ARE FOR REFERENCE ONLY (also see note above regard pricing). Navy Suit in Loro Piana Four Seasons cloth with AMF Top Stitching - $1375. I think, but do not quote me on this, that hand finished is $200 and 2 weeks more. I might find out next time. Lilac shirt with MOP buttons - $240 ($225 + $15 for MOP buttons), blue shirt with MOP buttons - $240 ($225 + $15 for MOP buttons), white shirt, hand finished, MOP buttons - $285 ($225 +$45 hand finished option + $15 for MOP buttons). Total for 3 shirts and suit - $2140. 50% up front and 50% when kit received. Please only use these for reference, they will be different for everyone and will increase over time I imagine. I put them up because I understand that, like me, the financial side makes a difference to if when one can commission an order.

- If you have an questions relating to price or anything else email or call them. I have found Tom incredibly helpful and more than happy to answer an question.

- They sell Drakes ties which if I remember are priced between $159-169. They also had Rubinacci ties and pocket squares which I think were for sale but did not ask.

- Tom may be the best dressed person I have seen in real life. Excellent representation of the P Johnson Tailors brand. Very friendly, interesting and informative.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and looking forward to the results.

bhall41

Reaction score
Thanks for that informative update

Grizzly09

Reaction score
Ordered 2 piece suit last week in Loro Piana Navy Sharkskin with hand stitching - $1,575 (Sydney)

If anyone is interested in my ramblings on my P Johnson Tailors experience please see my post here - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...johnson-tailors-a-few-days-ago-i-had-my-first

A few additional notes for Style Forum users.

- Tom said they are working on a price list for the website. He said they will be charging for the extras as their margins are very tight. Call them with any questions.

- Here is a breakdown of my pricing order. NOTE - AS HAS BEEN STATED ON THIS SITE MANY TIMES PRICES FOR MTM ARE ON AN INDIVIDUAL ORDER BASIS SO THESE ARE FOR REFERENCE ONLY (also see note above regard pricing). Navy Suit in Loro Piana Four Seasons cloth with AMF Top Stitching - $1375. I think, but do not quote me on this, that hand finished is $200 and 2 weeks more. I might find out next time. Lilac shirt with MOP buttons - $240 ($225 + $15 for MOP buttons), blue shirt with MOP buttons - $240 ($225 + $15 for MOP buttons), white shirt, hand finished, MOP buttons - $285 ($225 +$45 hand finished option + $15 for MOP buttons). Total for 3 shirts and suit - $2140. 50% up front and 50% when kit received. Please only use these for reference, they will be different for everyone and will increase over time I imagine. I put them up because I understand that, like me, the financial side makes a difference to if when one can commission an order.

- If you have an questions relating to price or anything else email or call them. I have found Tom incredibly helpful and more than happy to answer an question.

- They sell Drakes ties which if I remember are priced between $159-169. They also had Rubinacci ties and pocket squares which I think were for sale but did not ask.

- Tom may be the best dressed person I have seen in real life. Excellent representation of the P Johnson Tailors brand. Very friendly, interesting and informative.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and looking forward to the results.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's two P Johnson fit pics I've been promising for a while.

Fabric is Loro Piana French Navy S120.

Suit deets: SB and 2 button; notch lapel; double side vents; soft shoulder; hand finished; side-fasteners on the pants; 5-inch cuffs.

Other deets: Shirt is an Alumo poplin button-down (light blue graph checks on white ground) from Charles Nahkle Bespoke; tie is a Sam Hober bespoke (Forest green linen and silk); PS is from H'Bone.

And from another angle

Photos were taken with a crappy iPhone in Charles Nahkle's shop. :)

Last edited:

Yika

Reaction score

Suit deets: SB and 2 button; notch lapel; double side vents; soft shoulder; hand finished; side-fasteners on the pants; 5-inch cuffs.

Other deets: Shirt is an Alumo poplin button-down (light blue graph checks on white ground) from Charles Nahkle Bespoke; tie is a Sam Hober bespoke (Forest green linen and silk); PS is from H'Bone.

And from another angle

Nice. The suit really shows the Pugilist side of you :slayer::slayer:

Would like to see some shots of the pants !

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I walked past that shop today at lunch time. Have had some work done there but not orded any complete shirts.

Have you got any PJ shirts? How do you think they would compare?

Also, are you happy with your sleeve lengths?

Last edited:

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

And from another angle

looks uncomfortably tight... the sleeves, and chest fitting. I bet you can't even cross your arms without popping a button wearing that jacket.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looks uncomfortably tight... the sleeves, and chest fitting. I bet you can't even cross your arms without popping a button wearing that jacket.

It's called: post-BIG lunch shot. My stomach has the ability to expand phenomenally in the wake of a gigantic, albeit satisfying meal.

As for crossing arms and popping buttons, thank you for your concern but there's never been a problem.

Let me try again right now...

(Crosses arms and looks out for killer flying button)

Nope.

No problem at all. :happy:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads