1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

P Johnson MTM

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Prince of Paisley, Mar 7, 2011.

1. "6"

"6" Senior member

Still can't get over the fact that Check is a (seemingly) white man and not a black kid.

Does this pink shirt have shorter sleeves? The amount of shirt cuff poking out here looks great.

2. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Wotja talkin' 'bout?

Same shirt sleeves length as before - this shirt just happens to sit where is it supposed to because it has slightly better fitting cuffs. I suspect that some of the problem is that I have dainty wrists, so they have a tendency to fall further down when my hands are by my side. In a perfect world I would like to have my shirts fit more snug around my wrists so they won’t fall down, with a bit of give in the arm to allow for movement. As a side project I want is to start replacing my OTR shirts with MTM - as I have always had issues with sleeve lengths and how they sit (dainty writs, plus lean build plus long arms equal bad OTR shirt experiences).

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

If anyone is interested in my ramblings on my P Johnson Tailors experience please see my post here - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...johnson-tailors-a-few-days-ago-i-had-my-first

A few additional notes for Style Forum users.

- Tom said they are working on a price list for the website. He said they will be charging for the extras as their margins are very tight. Call them with any questions.

- Here is a breakdown of my pricing order. NOTE - AS HAS BEEN STATED ON THIS SITE MANY TIMES PRICES FOR MTM ARE ON AN INDIVIDUAL ORDER BASIS SO THESE ARE FOR REFERENCE ONLY (also see note above regard pricing). Navy Suit in Loro Piana Four Seasons cloth with AMF Top Stitching - $1375. I think, but do not quote me on this, that hand finished is $200 and 2 weeks more. I might find out next time. Lilac shirt with MOP buttons - $240 ($225 + $15 for MOP buttons), blue shirt with MOP buttons - $240 ($225 + $15 for MOP buttons), white shirt, hand finished, MOP buttons - $285 ($225 +$45 hand finished option + $15 for MOP buttons). Total for 3 shirts and suit - $2140. 50% up front and 50% when kit received. Please only use these for reference, they will be different for everyone and will increase over time I imagine. I put them up because I understand that, like me, the financial side makes a difference to if when one can commission an order.

- If you have an questions relating to price or anything else email or call them. I have found Tom incredibly helpful and more than happy to answer an question.

- They sell Drakes ties which if I remember are priced between $159-169. They also had Rubinacci ties and pocket squares which I think were for sale but did not ask.

- Tom may be the best dressed person I have seen in real life. Excellent representation of the P Johnson Tailors brand. Very friendly, interesting and informative.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and looking forward to the results.

1 person likes this.
  4. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Thanks for that informative update

5. Grizzly09

Grizzly09 New Member

Ordered 2 piece suit last week in Loro Piana Navy Sharkskin with hand stitching - $1,575 (Sydney)

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Here's two P Johnson fit pics I've been promising for a while.

Fabric is Loro Piana French Navy S120.

Suit deets: SB and 2 button; notch lapel; double side vents; soft shoulder; hand finished; side-fasteners on the pants; 5-inch cuffs.

Other deets: Shirt is an Alumo poplin button-down (light blue graph checks on white ground) from Charles Nahkle Bespoke; tie is a Sam Hober bespoke (Forest green linen and silk); PS is from H'Bone.

[​IMG]

And from another angle

[​IMG]

Photos were taken with a crappy iPhone in Charles Nahkle's shop. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  7. Yika

Yika Senior member

Nice. The suit really shows the Pugilist side of you :slayer::slayer:

Would like to see some shots of the pants !

8. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I walked past that shop today at lunch time. Have had some work done there but not orded any complete shirts.

Have you got any PJ shirts? How do you think they would compare?

Also, are you happy with your sleeve lengths?

9. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

looks uncomfortably tight... the sleeves, and chest fitting. I bet you can't even cross your arms without popping a button wearing that jacket.

10. ColdEyedPugilist

It's called: post-BIG lunch shot. My stomach has the ability to expand phenomenally in the wake of a gigantic, albeit satisfying meal.

As for crossing arms and popping buttons, thank you for your concern but there's never been a problem.

Let me try again right now...

(Crosses arms and looks out for killer flying button)

Nope.

No problem at all. :happy:

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Well said, and good on you for being brave enough to post pictures here. Suit looks nice....counting the weeks.

12. quar

quar Senior member

CEP, drop your arms into a natural position and things would look better. Love the colour of the suit.

Get Charles to make your button-down's with a bit of collar space. They'll look better that way.

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

5-inch cuffs?!

14. ColdEyedPugilist

Thanks for the advice.

Actually considering getting him to provide a little more tie-knot space on my collars, both this BD and my usual semi-cutaways; an easy fix for him.

Ahhh; I meant 5cm cuffs; good catch. :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  15. ColdEyedPugilist

Shirts are actually pretty good. I'm wearing 1 of my 4 PJohnsons today; sky blue pencil stripes on a white ground.

Sleeve lengths are fine, pretty much spot on.

16. Maridale

Maridale Member

I agree, Patrick's shirts do not get enough press. I have a few of his shirts and all fit superbly.
    Also, some other MTM brands charge more to narrow sleeve/cuff, but my P. Johnson shirts are snap shut at the wrist, with no extra charge.

Likewise with fabric, Thomas Mason at P. Johnson are ridiculously affordable compared to other MTM houses.

Interestingly though, as much as I love all of the product, I appear to one of the few that didn't have the greatest experience. Mainly because of double or triple-booked appointments, and the subsequent lack of service as a result. This must have improved though as no reference has been made of this recently on SF (if ever).

17. "6"

"6" Senior member

Tom showed me a light grey Dougdale Bros 3 piece with mid-brown horn buttons when I went to the showroom last Thursday. Have I caught a glimpse of your commission there Check?

Regardless, hows the Dougdale Brother's fabric treating you? I commissioned a business suit from that book myself recently. Gotta love the substantial English fabrics.:slayer:

18. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Maybe... ;)

Haven’t picked it up yet :fu: … should be getting it Friday… He did mention that a client ordered a two piece version after seen my finished commission in the showroom.

I was actually a little surprised when I saw it, I remember it been (only) marginally darker, but I am sure I can make it work :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  19. "6"

"6" Senior member

It looks great. Much more rakish than the duller version I got which is 1 shade darker than yours (if that is indeed yours). But patch pocket detailing should keep things interesting :)

20. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Just got a late Friday afternoon visit from the suit fairy...

[​IMG]