• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that Ultralights is crap. snags and pills everywhere, it catches anything that is white, and for some reason the stitches decided to give up after 3? washes. Half of belt loops have threads coming undone and now I'm thinking whether I should just cut them all off. Oh and I have a hole on my butt. I guess I sat on chair too rough. Would've returned had I not hemmed them. I'll just get another pair of Climbers. People don't mind the pockets at work.

Last edited:

rxryan

Reaction score

I'm sorry to say that Ultralights is crap. snags and pills everywhere, it catches anything that is white, and for some reason the stitches decided to give up after 3? washes. Half of belt loops have threads coming undone and now I'm thinking whether I should just cut them all off. Oh and I have a hole on my butt. I guess I sat on chair too rough. Would've returned had I not hemmed them. I'll just get another pair of Climbers. People don't mind the pockets at work.

For real? Damn.

Have spent a week trying to find a tailor I'd trust to alter the jacket waist and shorten sleeves from the armhole, but maybe I'm wasting my time. Guess I should wait until they do the OG Blazer again for a tech suit... although they might not since this last iteration took forever and a day to sell out of.

That's crazy all that is going on. I'd email them man. I wouldn't just bite the bullet on that.

Last edited:

deadsunrise

Reaction score
my experience with the ultralights is not that bad. I got them last year and wore them a lot last summer. Except for a bit of pilling on the inner thighs (from rubbing, guess I was too fat for them) they look brand new, no snags or anything.

The ones I have right now are light gray and don't catch lint (have 2 cats and the indigo dungarees catch hairs like crazy) I was going to get a navy pair but if they do.. I think I'm going to pass.

FYI you can return hemmed pants to outlier, I've done it with some climbers.

Last edited:

wizzeak

Reaction score

Every time i've used UPS super saver shipping, the package has arrived the next business day.

Dam that's crazy. I used USPS to hopefully avoid duty but I would have gotten free UPS shipping and the package way earlier. At least now I know.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For real? Damn.

Have spent a week trying to find a tailor I'd trust to alter the jacket waist and shorten sleeves from the armhole, but maybe I'm wasting my time. Guess I should wait until they do the OG Blazer again for a tech suit... although they might not since this last iteration took forever and a day to sell out of.

That's crazy all that is going on. I'd email them man. I wouldn't just bite the bullet on that.

I got the pants while there were still snow outside, so when I actually started wearing the pants regularly (not like, hey its above 40 f today. Let's put this on) I was well outside the 45 day window. I try to forget its $190? price tag and its more bearable. As long as I untuck shirts No one can see the threads coming undone (this is happening on ALL belt loops).

I clip pilling and snagged thread as Outlier suggested, but the pants is oh so light and thin I wonder if one day it would just fall apart from too much clipping :X

Epik

Reaction score
If anyone has worn the Air-Forged Oxford shirts for a while, what is your opinion on the breath-ability vs. traditional cotton OCBDs?

Exdeath

Reaction score
Wearing my Proof Nomads (more-or-less same fabric as the New OGs) right now, went to the bathroom and to my horror noticed really crazy thread fraying from every single belt loop. Looked like I'd been attacked by ******* morgellons.

I like synthetics, but they make it so damn hard to be likeable sometimes.

Also re: air forged - I'd honestly say no synthetic will ever live up to cotton/linen breathability, and this is coming from an avid Outlier/techwear etc. fan that lives in a tropical country hot and humid as all hell. I have a couple and they're decent in this kind of weather, but still kind of warm compared to a good lightweight cotton. Everything's a tradeoff though.

pyroxyze

Reaction score
Don't the climbers also noticeably pill? That's what I've heard and it makes me lean toward the dungarees

abunny

Reaction score

Don't the climbers also noticeably pill? That's what I've heard and it makes me lean toward the dungarees

Just save yourself the hassle and get the dungarees. My climbers don't pill but the 4-way seam at the crotch is literally a pain in the dick when combined with the kinda-abrasive inner face. As much as I like Outlier's ethos, the only pants worth snagging are the slim dungs and 60/30's (haven't tried futureworks though).

Last edited:

delluminatus

Reaction score
I have had problems with pilling and snags on my Climbers as well. I wore them on a camping trip and now they have little snags from tree branches or whatever. Really, all my Outlier pants seem pretty fragile, even compared to denim. But I guess that's the price of lightness and freedom of movement.

On a brighter note, I was very impressed with the ultralight's water resistance. I had to catch the bus in the rain yesterday and they actually kept my legs completely dry. But it's the Futureworks that are really growing on me. They might be my favorite pair of pants atm.

Last edited:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My climbers haven't pilled but I have one weird thread spot--it looks like there's a piece of white thread stitched in near my knee, I don't know what happened there--and I'm not tearing through the woods with them, I'm just working around slightly less snaggy stuff--concrete, carpet, some metal. I have an old model, which has a lot more rise than the current models, so I have not had any "pain in the dick." In fact they're really comfortable.

joshualim90

Reaction score
There is a huge difference in water repellency when it comes to outlier's various fabrics even though all are 'NanoSphere'ed.

Climbers continue to repel water after 1 year of consistent wear, slim dungs won't even repel 1 drop after 3 months.

I machine wash both pairs cold, dry flat and tumble dry to restore the treatment. Out of the dryer fresh, the slim dungs still don't repel water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads