• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordered a bunch of C&J and quite dissapointed... am I missing something?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Cletus
I just purchased the C&J chelsea boot in a 10 E (UK) and it fits perfectly on my foot-US 10.5 C. Actually I wear a 10.5 B so the fact that the shoe fits perfect indicates it's a US C. If it were a D I could still wear it and of course it wouldn't fall off but it would be "roomy".
And as far as research I suggest that YOU do it. Aside from my experience which is the best sort of information you may want to check about a dozen sites where top shoes are sold and all but 2 of them will say the same thing I told you. English length sizes are almost the same as US but there is a slight difference so say they are 1/2 size larger(1/6")
A UK H is like a US EEE
A UK G is a US E-EE
A UK F is a US D
A UK E is a US C
A UK D is a US B

Very few UK companies provide more than 1-2 widths but when they export to the US they make more widths because that's what the customers are used to esp. in an expensive shoe. C&J makes their shoes in an E (US C) and some in both a E and G (C&E) and also some just in a G for the wide footed.If you have a wide foot like many Gen x'ers and Gen Y due to being fat as a kid mostly then these are not the shoes for you. Buying a size larger because you have wide feet is stupid because the shoe is intended to bend in an exact place.
Most of the men who buy expensive shoes are older and wealthy like myself and only a small % have wide feet so the companies do not make many models, if at all, in wide lasts just to accomodate a tiny % of their buyers. It makes sense.
AE is a good choice for people with wide feet because they made a wide selection of widths.

OK Pops, free lesson over.

Really? A shoe width 101 lesson? with wrong/incorrect/subjective materials? I think you largely underestimate how much regular posters in this forum know.

Little Cletus

Reaction score
Really? A shoe width 101 lesson? with wrong/incorrect/subjective materials? I think you largely underestimate how much regular posters in this forum know.

Like most people on here you make too much of a fuss about lasts and think that if a certain size on a particulat last doesn't fit that you can just go up or down a size or side to side on a width. The last has more to do with the shape of the shoe and some people simply cannot wear shoes made on certain lasts even in changing sizes etc which is probably why we see so many complaints on here about fits. And from what I've read there are only a couple of people here who really know much. I don't make shoes but it's not rocket science and is simply a craft in learning how to contruct pieces of material together and practise in doing it. As I said, I have numerous pairs of shoes from many makers over the years and know pretty much how each one fits.
And btw, I'm not some sort of a shoe fetishist like a lot of people on here and am really only interested in how my shoes fit (all perfect) but some of the comments on here are just plain crazy.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the C&J chelsea boot in a 10 E (UK) and it fits perfectly on my foot-US 10.5 C. Actually I wear a 10.5 B so the fact that the shoe fits perfect indicates it's a US C. If it were a D I could still wear it and of course it wouldn't fall off but it would be "roomy".
And as far as research I suggest that YOU do it. Aside from my experience which is the best sort of information you may want to check about a dozen sites where top shoes are sold and all but 2 of them will say the same thing I told you. English length sizes are almost the same as US but there is a slight difference so say they are 1/2 size larger(1/6")
A UK H is like a US EEE
A UK G is a US E-EE
A UK F is a US D
A UK E is a US C
A UK D is a US B

Very few UK companies provide more than 1-2 widths but when they export to the US they make more widths because that's what the customers are used to esp. in an expensive shoe. C&J makes their shoes in an E (US C) and some in both a E and G (C&E) and also some just in a G for the wide footed.If you have a wide foot like many Gen x'ers and Gen Y due to being fat as a kid mostly then these are not the shoes for you. Buying a size larger because you have wide feet is stupid because the shoe is intended to bend in an exact place.
Most of the men who buy expensive shoes are older and wealthy like myself and only a small % have wide feet so the companies do not make many models, if at all, in wide lasts just to accomodate a tiny % of their buyers. It makes sense.
AE is a good choice for people with wide feet because they made a wide selection of widths.

I was under the impression that a C&J E was a US D with Church's F being a US D all being a Med fit like the Trickers 5 Sargent F etc etc ............

I love it when, every now and then, someone like you comes along full of bullshit and misplaced bravado and complete arrogance & ignorance it totally cheers the place up. Welcome to the forum my friend i hope you impart all of your knowledge
worship.gif

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Barneys Boston does carry any handgrade ie, 337 last shoes.

They only carry benchgrade shoes.

But yes, try some Aldens at either Brooks Brothers, Tannery, or North River in Boston.

They carry the Weymouth which is a handgrade on 337. Tried it on end of last year at Barneys.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
A UK H is like a US EEE
A UK G is a US E-EE
A UK F is a US D
A UK E is a US C
A UK D is a US B

It does seem that this fellow doesn't know his arse from his elbow!

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
They carry the Weymouth which is a handgrade on 337. Tried it on end of last year at Barneys.

Well they dont any more, was there a week ago and saw/asked what they had for selection, no handgrade and 348 only, very limited sizes.

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geezer
Exactly.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have in my long adult life bought precisely one pair of C and J's. They are probably my worst fitting pair of shoes, but they aren't awful and they were on heavy discount in a sale long ago. An hour spent annoying the very helpful people at the C&J shop more recently led me to the conclusion that there is NO combination at all of C&J sizing, width, and last that fits my feet.

The issue is not C&J, who make quite nice shoes. The issue is my feet, which don't fit them.

Originally Posted by Dewey
I find that C&J, AS, and Tricker's run short for the size of the ankle and instep, compared to Alden and AE. Grenson not so much.

Maybe these lasts were designed for men who never went barefoot? I don't know why they are shaped like this.

I am good using a tongue cushion to fill that extra space under the laces.

Originally Posted by krawlx
Like the OP, I found that C&Js simply don't fit my feet that well. Unlike the OP, I tried multiple sizes and widths and then realized they simply didn't fit. My question is this: at what point is it no longer because of the shapes of the feet of the people but a mistake in the last?

I am NOT saying that I think there is a mistake. C&J makes beautiful shoes and I am envious of people that can wear them. They just happen to not fit my foot. But if this problem becomes more and more common for any brand then at some point the shoe maker has to take some responsibility, no? Is C&J being somewhat let off the hook because they have such beautiful shoes? If people were having the same problems with a less respected shoe maker would the responses primarily be that the problem is in the individuality of the foot?

Originally Posted by Iceball
I have a similar thing with my C&J. Nice-ish shoes, although not that nice but they just don't fit all that well for me.

I actually prefer the Churchs I have, although a lot of Churchs now are pretty rubbish they still make some pretty decent shoes.

Yes, I too, have trouble with C&J fit. I've tried 337, 348 and 358. They never quite fit. Not terrible -- but off just a bit.

My best fitting shoes are AE, Alden and Churchs in US C width. The C&Js always seem to be too wide in the heel and too deep across the arch.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the men who buy expensive shoes are older and wealthy like myself

Petrus is back, talking about shoes instead of wine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads