• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordered a bunch of C&J and quite dissapointed... am I missing something?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
How about instead of having 5 C&J, you get 2 EG's?
Small collection and limited shoe budget = he want five pair instead of two pair.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Omar1223
you bought 5 pairs of C&J, that has to be like 2 vass. could that be an option for you?

Maybe he want five pair instead of two pair.
biggrin.gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
Small collection and limited shoe budget = he want five pair instead of two pair.
biggrin.gif

Maybe he want five pair instead of two pair.
biggrin.gif

I think OP just wanted to sample a large number of C&J lasts to see which ones he would like most. He probably has no access to C&J shoes at a B&M store, and while he probably expected to send some of them back, he was disappointed that none fit well.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
With a brand that is new to you it's important to try on a few sizes in the store before you decide. I had an idea of what would work for me in C&J and ended up a full size down from there and a completely different last. Tried on probably 5-10 pair of shoes.

Here's the trick though, I bought a pair.

Yes.
Never really know how a shoe fits until you have worn it in all types of weather and walked many mile in them.
A good fitting shoe in the shop is not always good fitting afterwards.
Getting a good rtw fit can take years for some people.

You have no business trying on 10pr of shoes in a retail store if you have no intention to buy any.
Very true.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cronicmole
Who buys FIVE pairs of shoes instead of one test shoe from online?

Its called different lasts, if your brilliant idea of buying 'one test shoe' happens to be a 348, how would you know if the 341 your interested in would fit you as well???? ahhh you wouldnt.

Originally Posted by Luddite
I suspect the OP subscribes to the great internet "buy before you try, then return 90% of what you buy" philosophy.

correct,

Originally Posted by 89826
PG, give Aldens a try. You could start at BB to see some of their styles. Alden makes a variety of lasts that fit very differently: barrie, aberdeen, plaza, grant, and so on. BB has Aldens made on the barrie, aberdeen, and plaza lasts for sure.

Shoemart, which does a very good internet business, has a phenomenal selection.

I will give them a try, actually reading through a lenghty Alden thread on here atm.

Originally Posted by AlexE
Well, you buying the wrong size has nothing to do with C&J being bad shoes.

So you live in Boston. Why don't you get on the train down to NYC on a Saturday morning, go to the C&J store and try different sizes for all the lasts you like. Figure out which size / last combinations work and then order online.

The excuse that you can't try does not really count for someone living in Boston. Especially since Barneys at Copley Place carries a selection of C&J's - they definitely have the 337 and 348 last!

A few things, 1. not sure if you've been to Barneys here lately but they have 4 pairs of C&J, two loafers (which I could care less about) and two 348 lasts. In each of the 348 they have about 3 sizes none of which are close to mine, they do not have the 337; and 2. I'd really do not want to take a train to NYC to try on shoes when i can just ordered different sizes and have them sent to me.

Originally Posted by Redwoood
I think OP just wanted to sample a large number of C&J lasts to see which ones he would like most. He probably has no access to C&J shoes at a B&M store, and while he probably expected to send some of them back, he was disappointed that none fit well.

Correct, the Brooks Brothers in MA> do not really carry much if any C&J, besides some 260 last which is horrendous, as stated above Barneys doesnt have **** and no where else carries them.

Finally to those saying I havent tried the right sizes, etc. (1) many of the lasts only come in E(D) width, (2) in last 341 I have tried both a 10 and 10.5 and the 10 was a def. no go, could barely get left foot in the shoe, (3) in the sizes I have 9.5 (10.5) in all the lasts, length and width fit perfect, there is just the right amount of room in the toe area, so I dont think its an issue.

Maaybe I give the cushion thing a try?

Iceball

Reaction score
I have a similar thing with my C&J. Nice-ish shoes, although not that nice but they just don't fit all that well for me.

I actually prefer the Churchs I have, although a lot of Churchs now are pretty rubbish they still make some pretty decent shoes.

Are you in particular looking for C&J? Alfred Sergeant's new models look quite nice, EG are impressive shoes but the prices are pretty high now.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those lasts may not be for you. Quality is no guarantee a shoe will fit well. Every pair of feet is different.

this^^^

NMW1982

Reaction score
Barneys Boston does carry any handgrade ie, 337 last shoes.

They only carry benchgrade shoes.

But yes, try some Aldens at either Brooks Brothers, Tannery, or North River in Boston.

Originally Posted by AlexE
Well, you buying the wrong size has nothing to do with C&J being bad shoes.

So you live in Boston. Why don't you get on the train down to NYC on a Saturday morning, go to the C&J store and try different sizes for all the lasts you like. Figure out which size / last combinations work and then order online.

The excuse that you can't try does not really count for someone living in Boston. Especially since Barneys at Copley Place carries a selection of C&J's - they definitely have the 337 and 348 last!

Little Cletus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I figured if I tried just about every current last they make, one might work, each is quite different.

I thought this, but my heel is not slipping at all, which I assumed was the sign of a shoe being too long. big toe on left foot leaves about .5" and on right .75" (since right foot is a bit shorter than left.

I went with 9.5 E (10.5D) in all the above lasts. I do have a 9 E (10D) arriving in the 341 that I am going to try but have a strong feeling it'll be too short on my left foot.

You're very confused about what size you wear. I suggest you see a professional and get your feet properly measured and take his advice on the type of shoe that suits your foot rather than buying "bunches" of shoes and annoying people with your exchanges. And btw, an English 9.5 E is an American 10C

Little Cletus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
No it's not. Not in C&J.

I've been wearing C&J, Churches, AE and Peals before you were born kid so you may want to listen instead of acting like the typical 'tween and 20 something moron who thinks he knows everything. And btw, ALL of my shoes fit perfectly.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Cletus
You're very confused about what size you wear. I suggest you see a professional and get your feet properly measured and take his advice on the type of shoe that suits your foot rather than buying "bunches" of shoes and annoying people with your exchanges. And btw, an English 9.5 E is an American 10C

db much? do some research b4 posting, seems you r the one 'confused'

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
according to C&J NY 9.5E is def. not a us 10C

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Cletus
I've been wearing C&J, Churches, AE and Peals before you were born kid so you may want to listen instead of acting like the typical 'tween and 20 something moron who thinks he knows everything. And btw, ALL of my shoes fit perfectly.

A sheer generalization saying that UK 9.5E = US 10C show high level of ignorance. It really depends on what lasts you're talking about. And that comment is from a person who's supposed to have been wearing "C&J, Churches, AE and Peals" for several decades, that really shows something
musicboohoo[1].gif

Little Cletus

Reaction score
A sheer generalization saying that UK 9.5E = US 10C show high level of ignorance. It really depends on what lasts you're talking about. And that comment is from a person who's supposed to have been wearing "C&J, Churches, AE and Peals" for several decades, that really shows something
musicboohoo[1].gif

I just purchased the C&J chelsea boot in a 10 E (UK) and it fits perfectly on my foot-US 10.5 C. Actually I wear a 10.5 B so the fact that the shoe fits perfect indicates it's a US C. If it were a D I could still wear it and of course it wouldn't fall off but it would be "roomy".
And as far as research I suggest that YOU do it. Aside from my experience which is the best sort of information you may want to check about a dozen sites where top shoes are sold and all but 2 of them will say the same thing I told you. English length sizes are almost the same as US but there is a slight difference so say they are 1/2 size larger(1/6")
A UK H is like a US EEE
A UK G is a US E-EE
A UK F is a US D
A UK E is a US C
A UK D is a US B

Very few UK companies provide more than 1-2 widths but when they export to the US they make more widths because that's what the customers are used to esp. in an expensive shoe. C&J makes their shoes in an E (US C) and some in both a E and G (C&E) and also some just in a G for the wide footed.If you have a wide foot like many Gen x'ers and Gen Y due to being fat as a kid mostly then these are not the shoes for you. Buying a size larger because you have wide feet is stupid because the shoe is intended to bend in an exact place.
Most of the men who buy expensive shoes are older and wealthy like myself and only a small % have wide feet so the companies do not make many models, if at all, in wide lasts just to accomodate a tiny % of their buyers. It makes sense.
AE is a good choice for people with wide feet because they made a wide selection of widths.

Little Cletus

Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif

OK Pops, free lesson over.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads