• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Options for a daytime summer wedding in a church

DisplacedLemon

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm being recruited into a last minute wedding and I'm at a loss of what I should wear.
I've only ever been to Fall/Winter weddings and they have always been in the city, so I usually just wear the standard well fitting black suit, white shirt, black/accented tie, colored pocket square and black shoes.
Since it's a summer wedding, I was thinking lighter color than just black suit and shoes, but my options are a bit limited both by the size of my wardrobe and time.
Here is what I have:
Tan, dark navy, and black suit
Light blue, cream shirt, a ruffled white shirt. (My clean white one is at the cleaner and probably won't make it in time)
Variety of ties/pocket squares
Black polished shoes, and a pair of brogued brown shoes.

I'm pretty annoyed that my white shirt is out, and I'm not sure about the ruffled white shirt with a suit, but perhaps?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're in the wedding party, so go conservative. Wear a white shirt. Buy one if you have to, you should own more than one anyway. Navy suit is the most appropriate of those, black should not be your default, the navy should be. For everything. Can't speak to the ties you have, but conservative. Black shoes.

DisplacedLemon

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have included this in the post, but I am actually not in the wedding party. I can see why the navy should be the default though. Do you still think the white shirt/conservative tie if I am not in the wedding party? Thanks

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is the wedding? Your cleaner must be extremely slow to not be able to get your shirt back to you, even if the wedding was this weekend.

Do not wear the ruffled shirt with the suit. I suggest you buy a new white shirt. You could get away with the light blue one if you don't want to or can't get a new white shirt.

I'm curious about the ruffled shirt. Is this the kind of shirt you wear with a tuxedo?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When is the wedding? Your cleaner must be extremely slow to not be able to get your shirt back to you, even if the wedding was this weekend.

Do not wear the ruffled shirt with the suit. I suggest you buy a new white shirt. You could get away with the light blue one if you don't want to or can't get a new white shirt.

I'm curious about the ruffled shirt. Is this the kind of shirt you wear with a tuxedo?

+1.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, wear the tan suit if you're not in the wedding party. I don't know why so many people feel they have to dress for a wedding as if it were a cinematic Mafia funeral! This is supposed to be a cheerful, festive event. Wear your blue shirt and a bright tie--maybe predominantly yellow.

A ruffled shirt? Has anybody worn one of those even with a tuxedo since 1979?

DisplacedLemon

Reaction score
haha, it's less the slowness of my cleaner than the fact that it's being repaired and cleaned at the same time. And you are absolutely right, I should have more of those, I just haven't had the need yet so I haven't bothered.
I'm fairly short but have enough breadth of shoulder that any shirt I buy absolutely needs to be tailored, and I have to leave for the wedding in two days unfortunately.
By ruffled, I actually mean't pleated. They are half cm pleats that range out of the center by about 3 or 4 inches. It's a tuxedo shirt. It's far more subtle than a ruffled shirt, my mistaken choice of words there!

I will most likely take your suggestion of the tan suit, blue shirt and yellow accented tie.
Thanks guys for the last minute help, I appreciate it!

Hiras Fashion

Reaction score
Such an event is quite short notice so it's best to work with what you already have in your closet. A tan or navy suit are good choices for a daytime church wedding. The black one just reserve that for an evening event.

Calder

Reaction score
I'd go with the Blue Suit, Black Shoes, Cream shirt and a palette of lighter blues with silver and cream accents on tie and square if possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics