• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ajeagle6921

Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum/fashion, trying to build a solid wardrobe. I need some good dress shoes and am looking at getting some AE shoes. I am wanting to buy 2 pairs to start off. The two I'm looking at are:

1 pair of Black AE Park Avenue or the Fifth Avenue in Black-will wear primarily with suits
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_______189_subcategory?

1 pair of AE Strand, leaning towards walnut but open to bourbon, this pair I'm wanting to wear with charcoal suit/trousers and also wanting to wear with jeans. Would I be able to wear this with all 3?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1

Thanks again for the help. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your instincts are very sound. Prepare to make 2 purchases. Start with the Park Avenue (in Black)

and follow with the Strand (in Walnut)

In these 2 pair of shoes you will be able to fulfill every need or requirement for dress shoes that will ever arise in your life. A tip for the Park Avenues....use wax only on the cap for a brilliant contrast and very elegant look. Any other dress shoes you will ever purchase beyond these 2 pair will be for fun but these 2 are for necessity.

Last edited:

Ajeagle6921

Reaction score
Great, thanks a lot. I have read some contradicting advice that the walnut wingtips can go with jeans. What is everyone's thoughts?

upintheair

Reaction score
The black park avenues and walnut strand were my first two purchases as well, and I have gotten great use out of them. I dont wear many suits (usually dress shirts and slacks + sport coat) for work and so my strands have seen much more wear than the park avenues. I have mixed feelings about wearing the strand with jeans myself. With some outfits i find that it works perfectly, but other times I feel that it is a bit too sleek for being worn with jeans despite the broguing (been thinking maybe a chunkier blucher). In any case, the strand in walnut is a beautiful shoe, great value, and very versatile and should serve you well along with the black park avenues, which will be a wardrobe staple.

yessur

Reaction score
Another person here who just started to invest in good shoes.My first purchase were some Paul Smith brogues but the next two were AE Black Park Avenues and Walnut Strands lol gorgeous shoes tho

I bought the 2 AE pairs on Cyber Monday on Amazon. There was a deal where both were 25% off plus an extra $50 off, so i got both pairs around $200 each.

I don't know if that offer is typical but maybe a more seasoned poster can let you know if its worth holding off till they are at that price again?

Badandy

Reaction score

Another person here who just started to invest in good shoes.My first purchase were some Paul Smith brogues but the next two were AE Black Park Avenues and Walnut Strands lol gorgeous shoes tho

I bought the 2 AE pairs on Cyber Monday on Amazon. There was a deal where both were 25% off plus an extra $50 off, so i got both pairs around $200 each.

I don't know if that offer is typical but maybe a more seasoned poster can let you know if its worth holding off till they are at that price again?

I'd hold off. Nordstrom has their anniversary sale (every year if you can believe it).

I have three pairs of AE's now that I think are a good balance
-Black Park Avenue's
-Merlot McAllisters
-Burgundy Loafers (not sure which model)

This keeps me covered fairly well but I do want a casual shoe (perhaps Neumok/McTavish).

chet31

Reaction score
I prefer the Fifth Avenues in black over the Park Avenues only because they're a bit more interesting, but I'm splitting hairs, either is a good choice.

If you must have a pair immediately, the AE Outlet store in Brookfield WI has good prices and seem to have a lot of sales. I paid $220 for my Fifth Avenues, and have paid as low as $180 for others. They are factory seconds, cosmetic flaws if you look closely, but nothing I would worry about even if I paid full price. Call them, I imagine they would ship to you.

Also, check out the Flatiron, gorgeous shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads