• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion of these RL Driving Shoes

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,
I need a good pair of summer shoes to wear with linen and other summer pants, sockless, mostly around a tropical place this summer.

I found these Ralph Lauren Gasper white suede driving mocs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

White isn't the most versatile color but it is a summer color and I think suade would be fine in the summer.

Also how does this shoe fit - is it true to size or should I get larger/smaller?

Thanks!

asdf

Reaction score
i like them, and thought about buying them, then came to two conclusions:

1) they are definitely on the dandy side of non-dandy
2) they will last approximately 1.5 hours worth of walking

DesignerValet

Reaction score
I bought a similar pair in black with a tie leather accent and ended up returning them. The quality was decent but the fit felt "off" and IMO the toebox was artlessly constructed.

They ran a bit big, so I'd personally reccomend sizing down a half size.

pred02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Nice style, but I'd prefer white bucks.

White bucks are a bit too formal for the 'South Beach' style place where I would be wearing these - island in the Mediterranean - sockless.

I do understand that white would get dirty quiet quickly. Any alternative recommedations?

Thanks!

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same pair for sale in B&S but w/ monk strap that I picked up from the sale. They are nice.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a light colored much less pure white suede would look like a mess in minutes. Get a medium tan or light brown, maybe even a medium blue. All of those will look summery and appropriate for a resort.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. I have never worn pebbled soles before. I feel like they will wear far too quickly. Does anyone know if this is the case?

DesignerValet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I like them. I have never worn pebbled soles before. I feel like they will wear far too quickly. Does anyone know if this is the case?

They wear VERY quickly if they have the "nubbs" as opposed to larger rubber strips. A Tod's SA once told me that with regular wear, they won't last more than three months
wow.gif
And they can't be resoled, meaning your $400 driving mocs are forever unwearable once the nubbs are gone.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I figured. Then I will stick to the drivers I have been getting (full rubber strips) They actually last a while. I like to use mine for walking...
Something to consider for the OP

Neo1824

Reaction score
I have a pair of Tods drivers with the nubs. I wear them a few hours at a stretch a couple times a week on average and after over a year they have little wear visible on the nubs.

pred02

Reaction score
I think a light colored much less pure white suede would look like a mess in minutes. Get a medium tan or light brown, maybe even a medium blue. All of those will look summery and appropriate for a resort.
I like the idea of light tan or blue. Any suggestions for a budget of about $150? I couldn't find anything from RL, looked on various shoes sites.

Thanks!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got a pair of blue Gaspers from Amazon for $120 or so a couple months ago.
They're nice enough for that price.
They do fit big so size down at least 1/2.
I haven't worn them much so don't know how they're going to hold up.

Rudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

Getting suede a bit messy and worn in gives the shoes character IMHO. My light tan ones are a mess, and I love them more for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads