• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One store to rule them all...

Sisco

Reaction score
Do you think you'd ever find the American Trad style limiting?
I wouldn’t find trad style limiting. When considering the question, I was focusing on who offers a full range of high quality clothing. Underwear to outerwear, from hats to shoes. There weren’t many retailers that came to mind that I would buy everything from.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Occonnel's is pretty awesome. Peccary gloves, Begg scarves, Schott jackets, a whole lot of Scottish knitwear, Quoddy, Alden.... they check alot of boxes. It's a jungle in that store, spent many hours in there.

NMWA is an easy choice.

Both Frans Boone and Baltzar are easy choices.

But all things considered, I think I would go Brycelands.

I would say Stoffa, but they lack too many categories (footwear and denim in particular).

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Occonnel's is pretty awesome. Peccary gloves, Begg scarves, Schott jackets, a whole lot of Scottish knitwear, Quoddy, Alden.... they check alot of boxes. It's a jungle in that store, spent many hours in there.

NMWA is an easy choice.

Both Frans Boone and Baltzar are easy choices.

But all things considered, I think I would go Brycelands.

I would say Stoffa, but they lack too many categories (footwear and denim in particular).
I'd heard of Brycelands (mostly because Ethan Newton always looks so freaking cool in photos) but I hadn't really looked at them before and wow, there's so much good stuff here. Big glaring empty spot though: no proper suit. But if you never need to wear anything more formal than a sportcoat (and that's probably most people) one could almost certainly swap out a suit for their navy flannel jacket, charcoal covert trousers, white tab collar shirt, silk tie and cap toes if the need arises. Only the stodgiest of stodgy bankers would give you crap for that.

p.s. Stoffa is funny because they don't have any denim but they do have $400 sweatpants

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never been to O'Connells. Extremely impressed with their immense selection.
I wear "evolved trad" so I would have to go MTM there for side vents, etc. I just
got my first MTM jacket from the Andover Shop- They nailed it ! I also have found
the Neapolitan Style, older version, i.e. longer coat, some drape, etc works
very well for this former client of "University" shops decades ago.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles. If I had to go one-store only I'd still choose the Armoury and buy clothing only 2-3x times a year.
LA is a wasteland of poor taste in men's clothing.

The more you expand in categories the better sense Armoury makes. Have access to Frank Clegg, Codis Maya, Drakes, Yohei, and all the trunk show tailors.

symphvaria

Reaction score
I already buy way too much of my clothing from The Armoury. Budget notwithstanding, my wardrobe would probably be pretty similar if it was suddenly limited to just stuff from there.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, as I live in Frankfurt, Brooks Bros might not be that practical. If we're excluding online shopping from their website, then I'd have to go with a large store around here like Peek & Cloppenburg / Ansons, or maybe Eckerle.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, as I live in Frankfurt, Brooks Bros might not be that practical. If we're excluding online shopping from their website, then I'd have to go with a large store around here like Peek & Cloppenburg / Ansons, or maybe Eckerle.
My intention from the original prompt wasn't to exclude online stores but one-stop brick and mortars are really interesting since there are so few of them and they vary wildly by location.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming it has to be a B&M store and I'm building my wardrobe from scratch and need to get everything, I'd have to go with the Ralph Lauren Mansion in New York. From RLPL suits and tuxedos to endless casual Polo pieces to some okay RLX technical outerwear for skiiing and hiking, plus RRL for workwear and a few (ridiculously overpriced) vintage pieces. And a MTM service. Plus it's a fun place to visit (and if I'm allowed to cross the street in this scenario, I can grab a coffee at Ralph's).

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming it has to be a B&M store and I'm building my wardrobe from scratch and need to get everything, I'd have to go with the Ralph Lauren Mansion in New York. From RLPL suits and tuxedos to endless casual Polo pieces to some okay RLX technical outerwear for skiiing and hiking, plus RRL for workwear and a few (ridiculously overpriced) vintage pieces. And a MTM service. Plus it's a fun place to visit (and if I'm allowed to cross the street in this scenario, I can grab a coffee at Ralph's).
Would your answer change if it didn't have to be just B&M? Cause the Ralph Lauren Mansion would be pretty sick either way!

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd heard of Brycelands (mostly because Ethan Newton always looks so freaking cool in photos) but I hadn't really looked at them before and wow, there's so much good stuff here. Big glaring empty spot though: no proper suit. But if you never need to wear anything more formal than a sportcoat (and that's probably most people) one could almost certainly swap out a suit for their navy flannel jacket, charcoal covert trousers, white tab collar shirt, silk tie and cap toes if the need arises. Only the stodgiest of stodgy bankers would give you crap for that.

p.s. Stoffa is funny because they don't have any denim but they do have $400 sweatpants
They carry Dalcuore. Do bespoke trunk show offered at the store not count? Also they have one or two bespoke tailors working in store as well. They don't widely advertise that though.
Bryceland is probably a top 3 choice for me. Brio Beijing and Frans boone are up there as well.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They carry Dalcuore. Do bespoke trunk show offered at the store not count? Also they have one or two bespoke tailors working in store as well. They don't widely advertise that though.
Bryceland is probably a top 3 choice for me. Brio Beijing and Frans boone are up there as well.
Didn't know that (but now realizing it's all over their IG)! And yes I'd count trunk shows, collaborations, etc. Those of you in Hong Kong are lucky SOBs!

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would your answer change if it didn't have to be just B&M? Cause the Ralph Lauren Mansion would be pretty sick either way!
I'd put it this way: if I could go online and just needed clothes to rebuild a wardrobe from the ground up, I'd probably go with Yoox. But that's a purely practical choice based on the broad selection of categories and brands and prices. It certainly wouldn't be as much fun as visiting RL IRL to get everything I need, even if the selection of goods at the Mansion is more limited and coming from just one brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads