• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One store to rule them all...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone said Charles Tyrwhitt yet? Not the sexiest option on the list, but has been my go-to for the past fifteen years. When I was a PhD student, I greatly took advantage of their bundle shirt deals and I'm pretty happy with the other staples they've since expanded into (knits, polos, proper tailoring, English-made shoes, etc.). All rather fuddy-duddy, I admit, but sort of by design and in a way that makes it hard for a non-enthusiast to go wrong.

I started going to The Hound during visits to San Francisco when I decided that my academic career had run its course and left to get my first big-boy job. The wares were just fine, and it was indeed a great one-stop shop, but there was some extra sentiment to it for me, as it symbolized me leaving being a previous life where I was miserable most of the time and entering one where I got to something fun and meaningful every day instead (and just so happened to require proper clothes). So of course they closed soon after...

-_- It sure felt like arriving at a party after it had already died down, but that's just the story of my life.

@comrade I always like your perspective, as you actually lived through the eras and social circles that we in 2023 refer back to. I've recently become a Cordings convert myself, after making fun of them for years. It started with one of their trouser promotions, and I really liked their high-waisted cut and massive selection of Brisbane Moss fabrics. I tried their 80/20 cotton/wool shirts next and again really liked the cut and fun selection of colors. What really sealed the deal for me though was, I started training in wingshooting seriously last year, and one of the other folks at the clay range was off to one of those estate pheasant shoots as someone else's guest. He was complaining about having to buy the proper attire (tweed jacket and plus-fours, shooting socks, Wellies, tie) and it didn't seem to me all that much different than how he likes to wear his camo hunting jackets to shoot sporting clays, so later that day I bought the Cordings shooting vest just to get a rise out of him. What was supposed to be a pricey joke actually ended up being a really nifty durable garment, and I ended up getting a lot more of Cordings's sportier offerings and actually use them as originally intended. To my surprise it all holds up very well, and there's no need to treat them with kid gloves. They weren't particularly expensive in the grand scheme of things either.

You are right though that their tailored jackets are a bit too Torie and even their "city" suits wouldn't be my first choice, or any choice for that matter, but I think their distinctive house style works well for their country jackets. I ended up getting their house check shooting jacket, with the action shoulders and big bellows pockets for your ammo, and it works great as a practical fall/winter garment. You might even be able to go shooting in it.

They don't have shoes or socks though so that limits them as a one-stop place. House of Bruar, their Scottish competitor up north, however, does, which provides a bit more versatility for folks who like outdoor rural pursuits, albeit with the tradeoff that they don't have as large a selection in the hyper-classic styles that Cordings focuses on.
For a bespoke take on Country Clothing look into Stewart Christie in Edinburgh.
Popped into their place when I was there six years ago. Their RTW had the built-
up shoulders I do not like and the fabrics mostly too heavy for Northern California.
Nevertheless, they had some gorgeous tweeds and I saw some samples w/ more natural
shoulders. My long-suffering wife kept me from lingering too long.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dream store to rock every day: Orslow or in Canada, Harry Rosen as they carry lots of great brands for business wear

Reality store: Uniqlo

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it would be Spier & Mackay. Their stuff fits me well 95% of the time and that 5% that doesn't fit it's because I haven't tried that garment and I miss the size and returning them from Mexico is complicated.
For me, they were 1-A on my list to TS.
Tough call...

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, they were 1-A on my list to TS.
Tough call...
I think it's a shame that TS's tailored pieces leave a lot to be desired compared to S&M. If one's wardrobe were to lean heavily towards business tailoring then S&M would be the clear choice, but it would come at the expense of having a far more limited and less exciting casual selection compared to TS.

decee

Reaction score
For me, it would be Spier & Mackay. Their stuff fits me well 95% of the time and that 5% that doesn't fit it's because I haven't tried that garment and I miss the size and returning them from Mexico is complicated.
I don't live too far from S&M but they only have sizes that fit little guys. Absolutely nothing in my size range except maybe socks. I always have reservations dealing with an East Indian owner that hides behind a British sounding name

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would have been Barneys New York but now maybe Paul Stuart? I wear a lot Zegna but not their shoes.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't live too far from S&M but they only have sizes that fit little guys. Absolutely nothing in my size range except maybe socks. I always have reservations dealing with an East Indian owner that hides behind a British sounding name

What a ****** comment.
1) I have size 56 EU shoulders and am an ex rugger. I have a couple S+M sportcoats that fit. How big are you?
2) SM isn't pretending to be a Saville Row house. They are delivering excellent quality for price. They aren't pretending to be made 100% in NA/EU.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads