• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One button peak lapel suit preferences

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Or my SWMBO (I admit, the pinstripe is quite visible), but what the heck it is a summer suit and the jacket can be worn as a blazer!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My 2 one button suits are with notch lapels, normal pockets and without a ticket pocket.

It is a classic look and I do find the uber conservative approach enjoyable on such suits.

Slighly slanted pockets can be an interesting compromise but they're difficult to execute with perfection.If the pockets are not slanted enough , it could be more perceived as a tailoring mistake than a fashion statement.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
This would be my preference for a one-button, peak-lapel suit (full disclosure: I have two in this configuration):

solid color
no ticket pocket
DB vest with peak lapels

Never been keen on those DB vests. I have seen it done well though but with shawl lapels not peak.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
Pinstripe is more tricky, the danger is that you can look more "Al Capone".

Chalk-stripe can look a bit 'Al Capone', but I don't think pin-stripe really does.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Chalk-stripe can look a bit 'Al Capone', but I don't think pin-stripe really does.

Pin stripes always looks a bit more 'buisness', whereas Chalkstripes look a little more 'play'

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I would love the Beaman. It's perfect as a fantasy suit for me.

Why is that Beaman so popular? Is it actually the suit people like or just the shape of the mannequin that's wearing it? My guess is that the mannequin is slightly more robin-breasted and narrowly-waisted than most male forms, which makes the overall silhouette of the suit look so appealing. I've never seen a suit look like that when it is actually being worn by an actual person, though maybe that's due to the fact that most suit-wearers aren't athletically built.

The aspect I like about it is the straight or slightly concave curve of the lapel as it swoops down to the button... you'll notice in all the other jackets posted the lapel is convex to almost whimsical degrees. The waist suppression is also sculpted and firm, unlike say a Brooks Brothers suit which is 'tugged in' at the waist with resulting creases like a squeezed sack or something. and again, there may be some chest padding in there, i dunno...

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Also no ticket pocket since the one button in generally shorter

Honestly, where does he get this stuff?

It's a particularly bizarre statement as single button suits and jackets are vanishingly rare in RTW and almost always bespoke. In other words, they are just as long as the client wants them to be.

Originally Posted by lasbar

Slighly slanted pockets can be an interesting compromise but they're difficult to execute with perfection.If the pockets are not slanted enough , it could be more perceived as a tailoring mistake than a fashion statement.

+1 on the slightly slanted pockets. -1 on the tailoring mistake. I think very slightly slanted pockets make a suit look a bit "dashing" without anyong being able to figure out exactly why.

BTW, For me, ticket pockets look funny without hacking pockets. It kind of looks like someone wanted to be raffish but then lost his bottle at the last moment.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no doubts about the tailor's ability to pull off the commission with perfection so the only issue for me is whether it looks good or not.

I appreciate everyone's comments and feel free to add more.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Master-Classter;2898191 said:
Not all peak lapels, but here are various ideas on what one button suits can look like.
Most of these are SF members.
*** Disclaimer, as usual if any of those pictured want the pic taken down just say the word.
\\
greyherringbonesinglebu.jpg

I LOVE this jacket. Anyone have any info on it, or a trackback to where it was originally posted?

Thanks!

FWIW: My opinion for one button suits is notch lapel.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CJG_NYC;2899567 said:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Not all peak lapels, but here are various ideas on what one button suits can look like.
Most of these are SF members.
*** Disclaimer, as usual if any of those pictured want the pic taken down just say the word.
\\
greyherringbonesinglebu.jpg

I LOVE this jacket. Anyone have any info on it, or a trackback to where it was originally posted?

Thanks!

FWIW: My opinion for one button suits is notch lapel.

A one button suit is better with notch lapel and there is no doubt about that.

I got into the idea of peak lapel on sb jacket before dropping it as too fadish...

You might play slightly with the pockets to give a tist to your suit.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Could you get away with a 3/roll 2 and peak lapels? I'm not sure if that would work or not because of the buttonhole you'd be able to see on the reverse of the lapel. That might interrupt line too much with peaks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads