• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On eBay.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since our stalker SoCal2URPants brought up my eBay purchases, I think I will mount a minor defense of the site. I've no compunction about buying on eBay. In fact, I usually refuse to pay those exorbitant prices that most vintage luxury dealers charge, especially considering they source many of those items precisely from eBay. I also like looking for things that are new on eBay since some of the things--like the French Spf 50 sun lotion--are not available in the U.S. or retail shops charge too much; but we'll always have a use for brand-queens who pay $1250 for rebranded Trickers otherwise where will Mexican illegals aspire to? No less a dandy than Nick Foulkes--a man of greater taste than thee--is a fan of eBay: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...9/ftebay09.xml I love eBay. I have bought everything from a sardonyx intaglio to monographs on recondite aspects of the Battle of Waterloo. I have got some duds and some bargains, but never have I been scammed – until I tried to buy an X505. Even Carla Sozzani of 10 Corso Como buys from eBay. On eBay, I once sold a 1950s Hermes Haut a Courroies to the Hermes family which buys up important vintage Hermes goods. So contrary to your self-righteous, braying retail mindset, it is not the price that drives taste. Rather, it is taste that does. I'd much admire a middle-class person who saves up for say, an original Jean Prouve chair than some parvenu who just forks over the money because Modernism is so hot right now. One shows dedication while the other just shows, well, tackiness.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Don't get your knickers in a bunch...I just wondered how the Cabbag Patch Kids fit into all your other purchases!

I should have asked via private message...but, that is another matter all together.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Don't get your knickers in a bunch...I just wondered how the Cabbag Patch Kids fit into all your other purchases!

I should have asked via private message...but, that is another matter all together.

Those were a gift, if you wanted to know.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So contrary to your self-righteous, braying retail mindset, it is not the price that drives taste. Rather, it is taste that does. I'd much admire a middle-class person who saves up for say, an original Jean Prouve chair than some parvenu who just forks over the money because Modernism is so hot right now. One shows dedication while the other just shows, well, tackiness.

What fun is there in sitting and clicking through a website all day in an attempt to make one feel like an eccentric dandy with all their vintage purchases? Wouldn't it be much better suited to have aquired these things over the course of a rich and full life of exotic travel to many small side alley antique markets or gifts from other noble minded people? How is trying to convey that feeling any different than trying to convey a sense of "modern" taste by buying everything from www.dwr.com ?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What fun is there in sitting and clicking through a website all day in an attempt to make one feel like an eccentric dandy with all their vintage purchases? Wouldn't it be much better suited to have aquired these things over the course of a rich and full life of exotic travel to many small side alley antique markets or gifts from other noble minded people? How is trying to convey that feeling any different than trying to convey a sense of "modern" taste by buying everything from www.dwr.com ?
I don't know what point you're trying to prove, but you need an initial mindset to even start acquiring those sorts of things. You just don't suddenly start thinking I'll spend $3000 on a '50s Nikon camera or go about searching for tortoise-shell items. I like travel but only when it's fully accompanied by items of personal civilization. I do wish to stay clean-shaven whilst traveling, you realize, and I'll be damned if I use an electric razor.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

I like travel but only when it's fully accompanied by items of personal civilization. I do wish to stay clean-shaven whilst traveling, you realize, and I'll be damned if I use an electric razor.

That's the thing...you are a teenager/early 20s Asian kid from Fremont. You aren't some 45 year old eccentric living on his 18th century estate in the British countryside.

I'm sure it's just a phase and you'll graduate from Santa Clara, move out, get a real job and realize it is time to join the real world and buy our sunblock at Rite Aid and use a Mach 3.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rich, poor, or in between Ebay can make sense.

I remember a while back when Alexander Kabbaz got some guff from somebody about selling on Ebay.

Kabbaz could care less and thought Ebay was fun and so do I.

I imagine there a lot of very rich and prominent people that use Ebay. I wish there were a list of their screen names.

LK, don't you sell a lot of vintage 35 MM. photographic items on Ebay? It seems like one of the best places possible to sell those kinds of items.

Finally, SoCal, if you ever become a seller of your numerous Thom Browne items, Ebay would be the logical venue.
laugh.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's the thing...you are a teenager/early 20s Asian kid from Fremont. You aren't some 45 year old eccentric living on his 18th century estate in the British countryside. I'm sure it's just a phase and you'll graduate from Santa Clara, move out, get a real job and realize it is time to join the real world and buy our sunblock at Rite Aid and use a Mach 3.
Whilst I may not live on an English country estate, I should be relieved that my rather prominent family of past has not descended into some mindset of mediocrity since the past is the past and has the virtue of being unimpeachably static. I've been vain my whole life and live fast, die young should be enough for my life--Et in Arcadia ego. I've no interest in Rite Aid, but maybe you do.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Rich, poor, or in between Ebay can make sense.

I remember a while back when Alexander Kabbaz got some guff from somebody about selling on Ebay.

Kabbaz could care less and thought Ebay was fun and so do I.

I imagine there a lot of very rich and prominent people that use Ebay. I wish there were a list of their screen names.

LK, don't you sell a lot of vintage 35 MM. photographic items on Ebay? It seems like one of the best places possible to sell those kinds of items.

Finally, SoCal, if you ever become a seller of your numerous Thom Browne items, Ebay would be the logical venue.
laugh.gif

It could all be very priceless!

Yes, I do sell some unneeded camera things on there. It brings the highest prices--most of my stuff sells to Japan actually.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I've sold plenty of my other designer clothing on eBay when I needed to trim down my stuff when I moved to New York.

Okay, LK, I see it is set in stronger than I had imagined. Go ahead and continue to be so fussy. I will leave you be.

JamesT

Reaction score
Whilst I may not live on an English country estate, I should be relieved that my rather prominent family of past has not descended into some mindset of mediocrity.

I've been vain my whole life and live fast, die young should be enough for my life--Et in Arcadia ego. I've no interest in Rite Aid.

Using an electric razor descends one into mediocrity?

I thought it just saved time when I don't need a close shave.
confused.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've sold plenty of my other designer clothing on eBay when I needed to trim down my stuff when I moved to New York.

Okay, LK, I see it is set in stronger than I had imagined. Go ahead and continue to be so fussy. I will leave you be.

I don't see why we can't have beautiful things in a world that is ugly enough--a world of Crocs wearing fools and their hideous womenfolk, unruly children and tacky men in shorts braying into their Blutetooths whilst smoking some tawdry cigar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads