• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oliver Peoples, Tom Ford or Persol?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying.

In My experience, not that it matters much to this conversation LOL, my wife has a bunch of those high price fashion brands (Chanel, Prada type glasses) that she sort of jokes about because they are terrible in terms of utility for blocking sun. She wears her revo and Maui Jim and vuarnet the most. But the fashion brand glasses are low quality (they are probably older, she hasn’t bought a pair in a while because they aren’t that good).

my rotation is a couple pairs of Maui Jim, pair of wayfarer ray bans, and a pair of wire frame vuarnet.

I do not wear them casually these days (the whole face mask thing makes them fog up). They are really for utility purposes.
My vuarnet are pretty nice in terms of dress style versatility. They are wire frame with a subtle look. But they are more delicate so they sit in a case in a drawer.

For my lifestyle, I use the glasses. One pair sits in the console of my car. Another pair sits on an end table for quick access to the pool or beach.
I don’t get too sentimental about them because they take a beating. Too much on and off to put them in the case each time, they sit loose, and they gain character marks as a result.
The way farer are a good every day glasses. Not too showy but not a sport glasses.
I have a real traditional Maui Jim that is not very sporty that gets a lot of use. Probably interchangeable with the wayfarer.
I have a Maui Jim banyan (the wrap around style, super light frame, sport glasses) that really is used for active wear.

if you’re talking about eye coverage of the Chanels or Prada’s, it really just sounds like they don’t fit her face. It’s not that the makeup is bad it’s just that they’re not designed for her face. Not every pair of sunglasses will fit everyone’s face. Persol 714s don’t fit my face (for example) - they wouldn’t give me good eye coverage either but it’s not that they’re bad quality.
If I recall correctly, Chanel and Prada sunglasses are made in the same factory as persol and ray ban.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
if you’re talking about eye coverage of the Chanels or Prada’s, it really just sounds like they don’t fit her face. It’s not that the makeup is bad it’s just that they’re not designed for her face. Not every pair of sunglasses will fit everyone’s face. Persol 714s don’t fit my face (for example) - they wouldn’t give me good eye coverage either but it’s not that they’re bad quality.
If I recall correctly, Chanel and Prada sunglasses are made in the same factory as persol and ray ban.

so I just checked out some of the persols and fashion brands. You are right regarding their styling. Definitely a nice finishing on the frames. Even a brand like Gucci was pretty impressive. (In my local store its 90% Maui Jim ray ban or Oakley, so very limited selection).

she always says the lens quality is weak in her Chanels. Not a matter of face fit, just the lens might as well be from a cheap pair of drug store glasses as opposed to a high quality sun glass lense. And the frames really aren’t that nice, they just have that big CC logo at the joint. Sort of plastic feeling. Maybe they have improved. The Gucci I was looking at just now definitely felt like a better quality frame than what I am talking about.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I just checked out some of the persols and fashion brands. You are right regarding their styling. Definitely a nice finishing on the frames. Even a brand like Gucci was pretty impressive. (In my local store its 90% Maui Jim ray ban or Oakley, so very limited selection).

she always says the lens quality is weak in her Chanels. Not a matter of face fit, just the lens might as well be from a cheap pair of drug store glasses as opposed to a high quality sun glass lense. And the frames really aren’t that nice, they just have that big CC logo at the joint. Sort of plastic feeling. Maybe they have improved. The Gucci I was looking at just now definitely felt like a better quality frame than what I am talking about.

I have no experience with chanel frames. I’m curious - did you check out modern Chanel frames? I never liked those obnoxiously loud frames (I think Prada has a really loud frame for women), just like I’ve never been a fan of hermes belts on men or women. But I’d imagine Chanel does some more classic frames as well.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? You mean you don’t like that big brass “H” right over your crotch?

Haha. I always wanted to ask those people that wear it if the H stands for herpes (and the location speaks for itself).

BPL Esq

Reaction score
What? You mean you don’t like that big brass “H” right over your crotch?
I struggle with Hermès because they make some stuff that would be great and that I would buy if they took the obnoxious logo off. Still, they're far from the worst offenders, and a lot of their stuff is very understated.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I struggle with Hermès because they make some stuff that would be great and that I would buy if they took the obnoxious logo off. Still, they're far from the worst offenders, and a lot of their stuff is very understated.

yeah, there’s a little something for everyone. I have a handful of ties but not of the novelty variety. My wife really loves their scarves.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, there’s a little something for everyone. I have a handful of ties but not of the novelty variety. My wife really loves their scarves.

I’m not convinced anyone really loves their scarves compared to other brands - they love the brand which they’re conditioned to love. Don’t get me wrong - hermes makes some decent stuff, but overpriced. It’s like Louis xiiv - I had this conversation the other days with a friend who insisted that Louis was worth it. As a scotch drinker, I cannot taste the difference between a 250 dollar bottle cognac and Louis. It’s good, but so is a 250 dollar bottle (Louis is 3000 dollars for a bottle). I’d take a Loro piana baby cashmere scarf over a hermes scarf.

That said, I’m not sure this is a conversation worth having with your wife haha.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not convinced anyone really loves their scarves compared to other brands - they love the brand which they’re conditioned to love. Don’t get me wrong - hermes makes some decent stuff, but overpriced. It’s like Louis xiiv - I had this conversation the other days with a friend who insisted that Louis was worth it. As a scotch drinker, I cannot taste the difference between a 250 dollar bottle cognac and Louis. It’s good, but so is a 250 dollar bottle (Louis is 3000 dollars for a bottle). I’d take a Loro piana baby cashmere scarf over a hermes scarf.

That said, I’m not sure this is a conversation worth having with your wife haha.

she’s recently gotten into LP scarves! Actually, Hermès scarves really do stand out in terms of weight and color/design. Just my observation.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I have no experience with chanel frames. I’m curious - did you check out modern Chanel frames? I never liked those obnoxiously loud frames (I think Prada has a really loud frame for women), just like I’ve never been a fan of hermes belts on men or women. But I’d imagine Chanel does some more classic frames as well.

i didn’t check out the modern Chanel. Dont think they had them at the store.
I just ordered a pair of Oliver people’s for my wife. Curious to see how she likes them.

My local sunglass store is on a beach and it’s 90% ray ban/Maui Jim and Oakley as the cheap option. They had a very limited selection of everything else.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I inherited a set of hard-sided Hermes luggage in what I'd call English tan. The only brand information is on the inside. But I imagine it was made in the day logo branding isn't what it is now. Only thing about this luggage, I was not about to check it. I ended up giving it to my niece who uses it on car trips.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd toss Tom Ford out of your equation and replace it with American Optical, Vuarnet and/or Randolph Engineering. Then, among those companies, simply find the one that has the best combination of style, lens color and size for what you're looking for.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who endorse Persol, are they good lenses or are they fashion glasses? I like their look.

I bought my first pair last year, chosen over similar models from American Optical and Randolph Engineering. They are first rate quality and are my go to sunglasses these days. Persol is owned by Luxxotica, but they've retained their original factory and production values. Luxxotica seems to leave them alone and not try to turn them into a mass market brand as they've done with Ray Ban.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If buying Ray Ban, it's always possible to get the lenses replaced with prescription quality. I wanted a pair of Wayfarers and that's what I did. Of course, the frames are what they are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads