• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old question that everyone claims is new: Tell me how to develop a unique style

Double D

Reaction score
Flip flops defeat sandals on account of the fact a) both should only be worn when strictly necessary but b) flip flops are significantly cheaper. Anyone who forks out good money for Birkenstocks or some **** gives the impression of wanting to wear that **** on their feet.

Reaction score
My two cents: You cannot underestimate the importance of the correct fit. It will make or break you. Building on that theme, don't be afraid to get even casual clothes altered to get the correct fit.

Mbogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
look at people
dress with a hammer
if it shatters, destroy
if it resounds, consume

This is going to be my new life strategy in general. Just simply brilliant. And cool. Wish I could write like that. Or even think like that. (I'll probably find out you're just quoting some song lyrics, or something lame like that.)

Now. Re: the OP's question/observations. I think he's got a point, and have often thought the same sort of thing. That sometimes all of this cool, hip, individual style ends up looking sort of generic, albeit in a cool, stylish way. It's too bad he got beat up a little, because his post could have busted out an interesting "thinking outside the box" sort of thread.

Now don't get me wrong. Since starting to hang out here just a couple months ago, I have gotten an incredible amount of information. Several people chimed in very helpfully when I asked about how to get started changing my clothing style. And it's a good group of guys, too. It's generally a good forum with a nice camaraderie.

But... sometimes it seems everyone IS wearing the same thing. I just did a search last night for sneaker ideas. The responses were, basically, "Chucks", "Vans", "Chucks", "vintage style Adidas/Puma etc." (that happen to look a lot like Chucks), "Chucks", "Chucks", "Vans", "Chucks". Brother! I'm 40 friggin' years old. If I went flopping around in a pair of 13 EEE Chucks (not that there is such a thing) I'd look like some sort of lurking schoolyard lech. And all these other recommended white sneakers with blue stripes would make me look exactly how everyone warned me NOT to dress before I went on an extended trip to Europe.

And jeans! It seems like on the forum 95% of all the cool jeans in the world are APC and Nudie. I got so sick of seeing those two names I deliberately avoided buying those brands as my first pair of good denim.

Shirts: T shirt, cotton/flannel checked button-up. Maybe a v-neck sweater.

Outerwear: "Hoodie", "hoodie", "hoodie". "I want a Belstaff but can't afford it." "Hoodie", "hoodie".

Shoes that aren't sneaks: "Alden Indies", "Alden Indies", "Alden Indies", "Redwing something-or-other", "Alden Indies". (OK- so I finally surrendered to the mantra and bought a nice pair of... Alden Indies. And they're very cool.)

I'd love to see some real wacky, unusual styles. For some reason I thought cool Japanese trends would be edgy and exotic. Maybe decorated with cool Oriental glyphs, or Nehru collars, or with bamboo accents, or Samurai artifacts, or some other terrible and bizarre effect. But, hey- what did I know?

I'm exaggerating a bit here to make a point. And please realize what I'm saying is tongue in cheek, and not intended to offend anyone. But do I have a point, and was the OP's question valid as well?

David

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DDML, good rant but you dissapoint me with the "No -sandals". You of all people should see the greatness of Birkenstocks
teacha.gif

I´ll be in Bostons and Ramses (and Zurich possibly.. ) all spring and summer, on acid, with hammer.

Serg

Reaction score
People here may tend to gravitate to certain brands and such but certain things like chucks/indies are classics not trends. Brands like apc and nudie are often thrown about because apc's jeans are well priced and nudies are well priced and available.

Theres a million choices out there and no one will recommend obscure unique things to you. Those are the things you got to find your self. If your here asking for recommendations you'll probably get the most popular easily avialable items thrown at you but those are by no means a bad starting point.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerK
Hi all. I just registered an account. I have kind of a general question about fashion/style in general.

Since I've been paying attention to this sort of thing lately, I've been at least aware of what some of the current trends are. So for example, graphic tees like Affliction and such is one that I've sort of wanted to jump on the bandwagon with. But it's dawning on me that once it's such an obvious trend, and everybody and their mother is doing it, it's actually kind of lame.

So I guess my question is, if you DON'T want to "fit in with the crowd" and want to actually wear something unique and different...where do you find it? If I go to the mall, all I'm going to find is the current trendy styles. Where and how can I come up with some *unique* things to call my own?

To tell you the truth, if you want to develop a "unique" style, I'd steer clear of internet forums completely, at least until you have developed a strong sense of identity with your personal style. Think about your interests, way of looking at the world, your build, and your personality, and go from there. Go to different stores and educate yourself about fabrics and cuts. Even if it's an expensive store where you can't afford anything, *******, go in there and try everything on that catches your eye. Soon you will begin to refine how you look at clothes, and gradually be able to discern what fits into your niche and what doesn't.

The internet is a useful tool for knowledge, but these days I try to steer clear of discussing opinions on style too much. Like how does this fit, what does this look good with, what brand is "in"...no offense to anyone intended, but I find that all a bit pointless, a lot of times it strikes me as the blind leading the blind. No two people are built, look and think alike, so to ask for advice on one's style doesn't work. To paraphrase an icon who I think has unique style, Karl Lagerfeld, discussing opinions is pointless, but it's a must that you seek to be knowledgeable about everything, and you got to have your own vision. I think that's the basic criteria for having a "unique style."

Magster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
and don't wash your clothes (unless dirty)
don't iron 'em (unless it is formal attire)
don't worry about crocking of this onto that (no caveat)
and discard when stained by bodily fluids (does NOT apply to jeans)

drop acid
consult the universe
sober up
wake up, wipe the slugs off your face, you're ready for a new day

be comfortable in your clothes
don't buy things because they are comfortable only(this is laziness)

no elastic waistbands (unless you are geriatric or gigantic)
no shorts, no sandals (unless you are wearing a tuxedo or swim trunks)
post pics of yourself often (fully clothed in natural light or reflected in a dusty mirror, camera obscuring the face to protect identity)

look at people
dress with a hammer
if it shatters, destroy
if it resounds, consume

And they said beat poetry was dead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads