• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old England, Paris, to be replaced by watch shop

HHD

Reaction score
Albert Goldberg is reportedly vacating Old England, selling out to Richemont which plans to convert the building into France's largest watch boutique. Richemont owns Cartier, Jaeger-LeCoultre and IWC and hopes to capture some of the €600m sales Chinese tourists bring to the Opera / Place Vendôme / Grands Magasins neighbourhood.

Le Tribune says that Richemont is paying 15m to facilitate the exit of Old England, which has been owned by Goldberg for couple of years. Goldberg's Albert Arts brand, which never seemed to do very well in Paris, will be closed down in the capital and function under reduced capacity in its Nice base.

This article in Le Tribune reports that the big French shops like Galeries Lafayette pay a "tip" of 10-15 percent of every watch sale to the Chinese tour operators who deliver shoppers to their businesses. Richemont will probably be expected to do the same:

http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...la-bataille-de-la-montre-de-luxe-a-paris.html

More:

http://stiffcollar.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/soiree-cuir/

Times change, I suppose. Old England under Goldberg was more about Italian brands like Cucinelli and his unloved Albert Arts than the traditional and quirky English clothing that was stocked there before. It was always a good place for Drakes ties and Edward Green shoes, though the mark-up as the euro appreciated vs the £ put a lot of older clients off, me included. It will be sad to see the shop go, though its demise was inevitable: It's almost always empty when I visit and even before Goldberg took over its Anglophile collection of tweeds, covert coats and itchy pullovers was playing to a smaller and ageing market.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THe shop is filled with excellent items, I am really sad that is going

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Albert Goldberg is reportedly vacating Old England, selling out to Richemont which plans to convert the building into France's largest watch boutique. Richemont owns Cartier, Jaeger-LeCoultre and IWC and hopes to capture some of the €600m sales Chinese tourists bring to the Opera / Place Vendôme / Grands Magasins neighbourhood.
Le Tribune says that Richemont is paying 15m to facilitate the exit of Old England, which has been owned by Goldberg for couple of years. Goldberg's Albert Arts brand, which never seemed to do very well in Paris, will be closed down in the capital and function under reduced capacity in its Nice base.
This article in Le Tribune reports that the big French shops like Galeries Lafayette pay a "tip" of 10-15 percent of every watch sale to the Chinese tour operators who deliver shoppers to their businesses. Richemont will probably be expected to do the same:
http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...la-bataille-de-la-montre-de-luxe-a-paris.html
More:
http://stiffcollar.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/soiree-cuir/
Times change, I suppose. Old England under Goldberg was more about Italian brands like Cucinelli and his unloved Albert Arts than the traditional and quirky English clothing that was stocked there before. It was always a good place for Drakes ties and Edward Green shoes, though the mark-up as the euro appreciated vs the £ put a lot of older clients off, me included. It will be sad to see the shop go, though its demise was inevitable: It's almost always empty when I visit and even before Goldberg took over its Anglophile collection of tweeds, covert coats and itchy pullovers was playing to a smaller and ageing market.

Quel dommage!

cigarMan

Reaction score
For me the shop never made much sense. Lots of different brands and pricepoints, no real concept and the worst of all, extremely unfriendly staff.
Once I wanted to try some EGs and they wouldn't help me. They just ignored me, not even a hello. Ok, I was dressed casual and had a tourist map in my hands, but that is no reason not to serve a potential customer.
Just hope that they will have a sell off of their stock, as there are some real gems hidden in that store.

michaelvl

Reaction score
Shame that Old England shall be leaving their current location. I have been there recently and purchased my first pair of Edward Green's there. I found the staff, at least the lady that helped me to be very friendly and eager to be of assistance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads