• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becks23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4ppah
Wow, I didn't even realize havenshop were SF participants! In that case it looks like my search is over.
They aren't SF-affiliated, it's just their current promotion.

Sabado Domingo

Reaction score
Hello all:

Got a few quick queries I hope you won't mind answering.

1) First off, I'm looking for a new pair of jeans. Whilst I'm duly impressed by the whole raw jean phenomenon, I'm not yet prepared to go that route, just yet. I'm interested simply in a pair of quality, dark-wash jeans, with no conspicuous branding, silly filigree, etc. I'm very finicky when it comes to fit and sizing, therefore I absolutely must try them on in person before purchasing. To that end, do any of you know of any retailers in the Dallas (Texas) area that stocks a good range of reputable jeans (Galleria, shops at willow bend, neiman marcus?) ? I realize it's likely I won't find any super cool selvage japanese denim there, but which "ready-made" brands would you recommend (Helmut Lang, Paul Smith, Dior perhaps)? I understand most folk here are not particularly keen on 7 for all mankind, ag, diesel et al, which seems to be standard fare at most of the local outlets, but could I possibly find something which will not (despite myself) make me look like a shameless bandwagon-hopper with expensive taste? I'd prefer to spend no more than $100. In any event, the following pair of 5EPs (one wash, low down boot) sport the look and wash I'm after. Anything along these lines ? :

5EP-MJ1_V4.jpg

5EP-MJ1_V5.jpg

2) As well, I'd like a pair of tennis shoes, and have settled on the Adidas Stan Smith Vintage as the most versatile/inoffensive style within my price range. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone stocking a pair in 10.5. Anyone know anyone or a place I might find the vintage edition w/ navy heels? I did manage to find one site offering these in 11's, but I'm unsure as to the sizing in Smiths. Do they tend to run a bit small, as I've heard? Could I fit (reasonably) comfortably into 11s?

adidas_stan.jpg

3) Lastly, I'm dying to find this knit Fred Perry by RAF polo, but it doesn't seem to be offered anywhere. Please, if you've seen this polo, let me know. I desperately wish to look like a wan, sulky little Goth prince!

raf3.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sabado Domingo
Hello all: Got a few quick queries I hope you won't mind answering. 1) First off, I'm looking for a new pair of jeans. To that end, do any of you know of any retailers in the Dallas (Texas) area that stocks a good range of reputable jeans (Galleria, shops at willow bend, neiman marcus?) ? I realize it's likely I won't find any super cool selvage japanese denim there, but which "ready-made" brands would you recommend (Helmut Lang, Paul Smith, Dior perhaps)? I'd prefer to spend no more than $100. In any event, the following pair of 5EPs (one wash, low down boot) sport the look and wash I'm after. Anything along these lines ?
I'm confused here. You do enough research to ask if people would recommend HL, PS, Dior, or 5EP to be purchased at your local mall but you don't bother to see how much those brands actually retail? None of those jeans even come close to being $100, let alone on sale at places like NM. If you're actually serious about your budget, the only way you'd be able to afford the jeans you're talking about would be through ebay in which case run a search for "RRL" and call it a day.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for linen shorts, preferably in a variety of colors, fairly slim, with a length just above the knee?

BSullivan

Reaction score
Gentlemen, a question:

I just bought a black tie from burberry and, wouldn't you know it, day one i get some bit of food on it. i do not believe it was oil, but my attempts to dampen and dab the tie have resulted in a whitish circle showing up, almost as the the black is fading in that one spot. It is irritating as hell. How do I fix this without damaging the tie permanently?

Thanks in advance.

BS

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Anyone have suggestions for linen shorts, preferably in a variety of colors, fairly slim, with a length just above the knee?

J Crew has a pair that are decent, might want them hemmed though as they fall just past the knee. If J Crew ain't good enough, well, it depends on how slim you want it, but your best bet is probably to get a pair made to measure. Or if you can find a nice fitting pair of linen slacks, you could get those made into shorts. It's not easy to find nicely fitting linen pieces though. Even if you have a baggy ploofty pair of linen pants, you can always have them taken in and tailored, just remember that dissecting and reassembling your pants is going to be costly. Work closely with your tailor, they often get confused/just don't listen because they're set in their ways and aren't used to modern fashion and style.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what online stores carry Ever brand tees??? I know barneys and saks has some and the Ever site has an E-shop but anywhere else???

shelton

Reaction score
Hi, I realise this has been asked before but I still need help finding 'normal' good fitting slim jeans.

I am basically looking for an alternative to Levi's or Uniqlo which is what I would wear if they fit me right and/or made my size. I have tried 28x32 in 511s and it just doesnt work for me, the waist fits but I have really skinny legs and they are baggy in the seat and all the way down the legs and flare out at the bottom. All the thin denim washes they have doesnt really help either as the extra jean just flops around. The 510s rigid and chipped (which I cant find in 29x32 anyways) washes dont really work either, they are baggy in the seat and upper thighs and tight on the calves. I found a new cut of Levis being made called 506 at Urban Outftters that would be nice... 100% cotton, thick denim, slim tapered cut, BUT they only do 30" inseams for size 28 which were still comfortably loose on me and even with ankle boots didnt hit my shoes and were too short.

Uniqlo jeans don't fit either, anyone know if I can get these in 28 somewhere? The NYC store only carries 29.

I want plain, minimal details jeans, that dont make me look like either I am trying to show off how skinny I am or that I have expensive taste. I dont want a cut or real thin denim that exaggerates my thinness (a la April 77, Cheap Monday etc.) but also doesn't look I am trying to cover it up either.

I found some H and M Drain jeans that fit perfect but they only ones they have right now are distressed black and blue with kind of lame fading.

I want something like a rinsed raw denim, faded overdye, or faded non-distressed light colored jeans in preferably medium to slightly heavy denim.

I have tried store like Urban Outfitters, J Crew, Gap, Uniqlo, Zara, and T&V and considered the womens jeans too. I know J Crew and Gap used to make some awesome girls jeans that were basically a unisex fit and popular with a lot of skinny guys. I also already have tried and owned in the past APC 'New Cure' (3 years old pair that were just ruined by a tailor), Julian Red 'Hoboken' dark dancers and black bullet, Cheap Monday 'very tight', Hells Bells, April 77 but these all are not what I am looking for due to various reason... fit, too 'high fashion', really thin denim, not my style, etc.

Any suggestions? I am sick of blowing money on designer jeans when all I want is good fitting cheap jeans that do not look like I am trying to show anything off. I work in a creative field where image is very important and certain things when it comes to clothing just are not accepted.

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shelton
Hi

This genuinely calls for the suggestion that you need to gain some weight.

You seem to be pursuing an unachievable ideal. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with APCs or Cheap Mondays.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shelton
Hi, I realise this has been asked before but I still need help finding 'normal' good fitting slim jeans.

I think you'd be best off measuring a pair of jeans that fits best on you just so that you'll have something with which to gauge other jeans.

Slim jeans that come to mind: PBJ x005, most of Somet's offerings, most of Flathead's offerings. Nudie would have some great cuts, too, but the denim might not be what you're looking for. Jean Shop makes a great skinny cut as well and the denim is very nice. Or what about KMW 1980s?

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I think you'd be best off measuring a pair of jeans that fits best on you just so that you'll have something with which to gauge other jeans.

This simply cannot be overstated. It should be the subtitle of the forum.

The use of terms "vanity sized", "size down", "true waist" and many other ambivalent subjective useless words would be significantly decreased.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
This simply cannot be overstated. It should be the subtitle of the forum.

The use of terms "vanity sized", "size down", "true waist" and many other ambivalent subjective useless words would be significantly decreased.

This is probably the best advice I'd seen on jean sizing. Rather than measuring your body to figure out fit and size, measure a pair of jeans that already works for you! Genius!!!

Sabado Domingo

Reaction score
Well, allow me to rephrase then, without name-dropping designers about which I've little idea. In the <$200 range, what are some quality jean brands I might find at an upper end department store such as NM/Nordstrom/Saks ? Conversely, what are some brands I should avoid?

Several years ago, I bought a pair of "Mavi" jeans for nigh $100, and judging by the price tag (in my innocence), believed I could rely on the integrity of the stitching for a good while. And yet, within their first week of wear, as I crouched beside the bottom shelf at a public library, they cleanly (and loudly, I might add), split, right down the back-seam, leaving me, the quintessential fashion victim, well exposed to all and sundry.

In a word, I would like to prevent a similar disaster in the future. Help. Please help.

Oh, and does anyone have any leads on those Stan Smith Vintages? Thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads