• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanmkd

Reaction score
I have an important question for you folks on this board:

I just bought a pair of slim jim dry japan nudie jeans online. They didn't have the style i wanted in any stores so i bought them online. They're 33x34 which is the exact same as my slim jim dry blacks. I put them on and they fit perfect on the leg, but they're a little baggier on the backside than i would have liked.

I wondered if it was just because the jeans are still brand new and stiff that they're not fitting as snug on the caboose as the other slims i have.

I've played football all my life so my legs are pretty big, so i wouldn't be able to size down without it being crazy tight on the legs.

Any advice on what to do? Whatever input anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

stills999

Reaction score
Would appreciate opinions if these Allen Edmonds Evans would go nice with jeans. Or would a non-sporty penney loafer or something else be better?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Ah I think I may give Thick as Thieves a try. How do I obtain measurments? Professional tailor? Do I give them my raw measurments?

Also which suit would be suitable for work/interview?

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/product.html

Ah, if this doesn't work out, its HM for me, I hear they have excellent slim fitting suits for us 5'9ers
laugh.gif

Lastly, I hear no black suits correct? Tweed, navy pinstripe?

Thanks!

I'd first email GetSmart and ask what measurements he needs, then go to a local tailor, or even a seamstress.

For your first suit, I'd rule out black, tweed, or pinstripes. There's a whole mega-thread in MC on the no-black-suit rule, read if you dare
laugh.gif
. Tweed would see little use during warmer months, while pinstripes stand out too much; you don't want to be remembered as the guy who wears the same suit everywhere. Solid charcoal / navy blue in all-season weight wool is your best bet.

Originally Posted by joopie
I constantly see references to measurements of suits, shirts, etc. Would someone care to explain what these measurements mean exactly? Eg: from where to where exactly the the "shoulder" measured, etc.

Thanks!

Google is your friend. Hint: for suits measurement, try searching for "A Harris' guide to measurements"

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I'd first email GetSmart and ask what measurements he needs, then go to a local tailor, or even a seamstress.

For your first suit, I'd rule out black, tweed, or pinstripes. There's a whole mega-thread in MC on the no-black-suit rule, read if you dare
laugh.gif
. Tweed would see little use during warmer months, while pinstripes stand out too much; you don't want to be remembered as the guy who wears the same suit everywhere. Solid charcoal / navy blue in all-season weight wool is your best bet.

Google is your friend. Hint: for suits measurement, try searching for "A Harris' guide to measurements"

Ah thank you. I think ill stick to a charcol or navy suit, unfortunately Thick as Thieves is too expensive for me, Im going to the HM in New York to try on a suit. I am 5'9 and 147 lbs, I should go for a 38s or a 36r?

Thanks!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Ah thank you. I think ill stick to a charcol or navy suit, unfortunately Thick as Thieves is too expensive for me, Im going to the HM in New York to try on a suit. I am 5'9 and 147 lbs, I should go for a 38s or a 36r?

Thanks!

You're going to try them instore, yet you have to ask
laugh.gif
?

I'd say 38S, since the trou fits slim, but YMMV.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
You're going to try them instore, yet you have to ask
laugh.gif
?

I'd say 38S, since the trou fits slim, but YMMV.

You always educate my noobie mind and I often find you are right
laugh.gif

Thanks again!

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
What is the function of a fur lined hooded parka? I get that fur is warm (if you're wearing a fur coat.) However, the fur on the jacket shown does not protect the skin or come in contact with the wearer. Is the purpose to keep snow off the face? Just curious because I see this on alot of coats...

Attachment 16798

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ This is actually a really good question.

keikun13

Reaction score
I saw someone today with some cool looking Asics Onitsukas in black with white stripes. I couldn't tell what material they were made of, but it seemed like they had felt at the top of the toe and the underside of the soles were green. Can anybody name these?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why are steven alan single needle shirts called single needle if the seams are sewn with two needles?

FlyinAsian

Reaction score
Where does the waist on APC NS sit? Is it on the hip or slightly above?

I plan on sizing down 2 but I'm not sure where to measure my waist in order to get the correct measurement.

Btw do tobi or demonbaronline ever have sales on their APC NS besides the style forum code? Or should I just dish out the ~$140ish for the jeans?

welchey3

Reaction score
If im not able to visit the New York store, where could I find a pair of raw denim Uniqlo's? I havn't been able to find some where online selling them.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some cheap, nice wingtips(Brogues). Does anyone have any advice? I am looking to spend anywhere from 50-150. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads