• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartSan

Reaction score
Have been rotating these for quite a while and can't seem to find my jive. I wanna break one in, so which pair suits my body type the best?

Enigma89

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a pair of 29 x 32 Slim Jim in Dry Black (2% elastic, 98% Cotton) and want a pair of Blue Jeans. I am looking to get a pair of Thin Finn but here is the problem. I do NOT want a slimmer look. Here is a picture of me with my slim jims:

It is a good fit and it looks good, something a little bit looser would be nice, but anything tigher I do not want. Should I get 29 x 32 thin Finn if it is dry comfort (meaning it has 2% elastic) or should I get a 30 x 32?

Also is the Thin Finn the wrong cut for me? I usually wear collared shirts and all to that sort. I have been wanting to get a pair of Average Joes but I cannot find them anywhere in my size at a decent prize but I can get thin finns easily.

Let me know!

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
pretty broad question, thought id throw it in here before I made a thread about it...
Ask again when you get closer to your trip in Jan. Most boutiques tend to have good sales around Jan after the x-mas push (south willard in LA is one such place). You can search here for shops in NY and I'm sure there will be much more talk of sales then.

After-summer sales usually happen around... September/October.

Originally Posted by caleb3221
My questions are 1. How should I get these repaired(If I should even bother)?Take them to a local tailor? Send them off somewhere that specializes in denim? Do I need to find matching denim first or can they do it without visible patching?

Second question: I haven't washed them yet, if I wash them now will the shrinking make the damage worse or is it safe?

Pics would really help (and would be GREAT in the Somet thread) us figure out just how much damage was done to your jeans. Local tailor will probably be your best, if not only, bet. Denim Doctors at HTC in LA would be able to fix whatever you've got going on but it probably won't be as cheap as your neighborhood tailor.

In terms of the wash, I can't imagine a simple soak hurting your jeans. In fact, it might be a better idea to do the soak before sending in your jeans.

Originally Posted by stuartSan
Have been rotating these for quite a while and can't seem to find my jive. I wanna break one in, so which pair suits my body type the best?
The second pair (pic 5) is more SF-approved but the first pair looks better for day-to-day (in fact, the cut reminds me of SSDS). What are they?
Originally Posted by Enigma89
Also is the Thin Finn the wrong cut for me? I usually wear collared shirts and all to that sort. I have been wanting to get a pair of Average Joes but I cannot find them anywhere in my size at a decent prize but I can get thin finns easily.
Yes, the TF's are the wrong cut. Sizing one up isn't not going to do anything major to fight the skinny calves of the cut. TF's are FAR slimmer than SJ's.

If AJ's are what you want, why not wait for them to be restocked? Get a hold of DenimBar and see if they're planning a restock. Get a hold of SelfEdge and ask the same. If all else fails, try a non-forum affiliate such as Cultizm: http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....AGE-JEANS.html

Obviously pricier but if you just can't wait...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ So many questions.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by davo10375
pretty broad question, thought id throw it in here before I made a thread about it...

At the end of the year i'm going to america for a few weeks; las vegas, los angeles, boston and new jersey with maybe a day trip into new york.

Obviously I'll be doing a great deal of shopping on the trip. What I want to know is, in these cities/areas, what kind of stores usually have massive/some sort of sales? I'll be heading down in January, and want to pick up some awesome stuff I can try on and hopefully for cheap. Brandwise I'm not looking for anything in paticular I guess, but a general list of forum-approved brands sort of covers my taste... from band of outsiders to ndc shoes to paul smith to APC... anything really.

So what sort of places are there for outlet shopping in the above cities, or atleast places that would be expecting sales at this time (would there be a solid amount of end of clearance sales in January? End of summer sale or something?)

Thanks for any help

Use "search the site using Google" feature. Keywords: New York shopping, in some combinations.

Originally Posted by seamless74
when ordering tretorn shoes from say zappos... do you go with euro or american sizing...
Tretorn run true to (sneakers') size, as opposed to Chucks. So, American, I guess.
confused.gif

Originally Posted by caleb3221
I just came back from a trip to South Africa in which I wore my Somets the entire time, and they received some pretty heavy wear, meaning they are filthy and have two tears now, both near the bottom of the right leg. One of them is a little rip in the fabric near the inside seam, which I feel like I need to get patched or something. The other problem is that the seam of the selvedge line has split below the hem; I guess that should be repaired too.

My questions are 1. How should I get these repaired(If I should even bother)?Take them to a local tailor? Send them off somewhere that specializes in denim? Do I need to find matching denim first or can they do it without visible patching?

Second question: I haven't washed them yet, if I wash them now will the shrinking make the damage worse or is it safe?

Edit: Oops, I meant to do it in the jeans question thread. Oh well.

1. Go local if you know, either through own experience or friends', shops that do a good job. Otherwise, there are places that specialize in denim repair. Search for "denim doctor"
2. Wash them. I'm sure you wouldn't want to hand dirty jeans over to a tailor anyway.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by jufros
how do moma shoes run?
Big. IIRC, M J Krell has a pair, try PMing him.

Originally Posted by Adam24
http://www.revolveclothing.com/Displ...cy+Couture&d=b

I'm looking for a similar jacket but WITHOUT the embroidery on the back. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Check out the brand yoko devereaux.

Take a look at Wings & Horns as well.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, who.

highfive.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm looking for some cheap striped socks, does anyone know a good place?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Shirt/Polo fit question...

Originally Posted by spertia
Sunday001_opt.jpg

vintage Lacoste polo
Paul Frank pants
NDC shoes

(sorry, hope he doesn't mind me using the pic)

I think the fit is off on the shirt, but I find the same thing happens with a lot of my shirts... Anyone know what causes shirts to drape like that? (ie what do I look for so I can avoid it happening in future?)
Is it me (posture, belly, arched shoulders) or the shirt?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the teepee-shaped drape pattern near the chest? I'd say it's the result of a looser fit, namely around the upper torso. If you asked Spertia to raise his arms like the Rio de Janeiro Jesus statue, you would see much more fabric at either side than what is shown here. The rest of it would creep toward the backside and tent outward when he places his hands down. No guarantees for how he'll respond if you give him such a request, though.

stuartSan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The second pair (pic 5) is more SF-approved but the first pair looks better for day-to-day (in fact, the cut reminds me of SSDS). What are they?

They're Malaysian Levi's 522. Not as good as LVC there but definetely better than the average U.S. Levi's from what I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8