• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get an oxford cloth shirt with the collars that button to the shirt.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Get an oxford cloth shirt with the collars that button to the shirt.
Thanks, I probably should have searched before asking that. It looks like there are a few threads over in Men's Style. I'm guessing BoO is a good bet for button down oxfords? Any recommendations? Also, is it any different if I'm wearing a tie?

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to spend BoO loot, go for Brooks Bros. slim-fit button down oxfords and have them altered to fit. Works for v-necks, cardis, crews and vests.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check them out this weekend.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Has anybody here heard of Imperial dukes made with a new selvedge fabric? I am possible buying a sample pair of Dukes from a store owner, which are supposed to only differ in the fabric. Of course, it's hard to tell without looking at them in person, and I don't know what to look for. I'm sure the seller is legit, but I just never heard of this release. Among other options was a very similiar fit to the duke, w/o any back pocket stitching called the "The Shearer"...

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do 5EP Low Down Boots Resin fit size wise in the waist?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
im sorry but can anyone explain selvege or selvedge for me in layman's terms?

thanks.

I think this is a good description of the process and what it's preferable to other ways of manufacturing denim, and imo is pretty easy to understand. If you don't understand some of the terms check Link.

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denim#Selvage_denim

Selvage denim (also called selvedge denim) is a type of denim which forms a clean natural edge that does not unravel. It is commonly presented in the unwashed or raw state. Typically, the selvage edges will be located along the outseam of the pants, making it visible when cuffs are worn. Although selvage denim is not completely synonymous with unwashed denim, the presence of selvage typically implies that the denim used is a higher quality.

The word "selvage" comes from the phrase "self-edge" and denotes denim made on old-style shuttle looms. These looms weave fabric with one continuous cross thread (the weft) that is passed back and forth all the way down the length of the bolt. As the weft loops back into the edge of the denim it creates this "self-edge" or Selvage. Selvage is desirable because the edge can't fray like lower grade denims that have separate wefts which leave an open edge that must be stitched. Shuttle looming is a more time-consuming weaving process that produces denim of a tighter weave resulting in a heavier weight fabric that lasts.

Shuttle looms weave a more narrow piece of fabric, and thus a longer piece of fabric is required to make a pair of jeans (approximately 3 yards). To maximize yield, traditional jean makers use the fabric all the way to the selvage edge. When the cuff is turned up the two selvage edges, where the denim is sewn together, can be seen. The selvage edge is usually stiched with colored thread: green, white, brown, yellow, and red (red is the most common). Fabric mills used these colors to differentiate between fabrics.

Most selvage jeans today are dyed with synthetic indigo, but natural indigo dye is available in smaller niche denim labels. Loop dying machines feed a rope of cotton yarn through vats of indigo dye and then back out. The dye is allowed to oxidize before the next dip. Multiple dips create a deep dark indigo blue.

In response to increased demand for jeans in the 1950's, American denim manufacturers replaced the old shuttle style looms with modern projectile looms. The new looms produced fabric faster and wider (60-inches or wider), yet lighter and less durable. Synthetic dyeing techniques along with post-dye treatments were introduced to control shrink and twist.

Raw selvage is material that has not been washed once undergoing the dying process. It is especially desirable because the material will fade in the creases and folds of the jeans. This process is known as whiskering.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Selvage denim (also called selvedge denim) is a type of denim which forms a clean natural edge that does not unravel. It is commonly presented in the unwashed or raw state. Typically, the selvage edges will be located along the outseam of the pants, making it visible when cuffs are worn. Although selvage denim is not completely synonymous with unwashed denim, the presence of selvage typically implies that the denim used is a higher quality.

The word "selvage" comes from the phrase "self-edge" and denotes denim made on old-style shuttle looms. These looms weave fabric with one continuous cross thread (the weft) that is passed back and forth all the way down the length of the bolt. As the weft loops back into the edge of the denim it creates this "self-edge" or Selvage. Selvage is desirable because the edge can't fray like lower grade denims that have separate wefts which leave an open edge that must be stitched. Shuttle looming is a more time-consuming weaving process that produces denim of a tighter weave resulting in a heavier weight fabric that lasts.

Shuttle looms weave a more narrow piece of fabric, and thus a longer piece of fabric is required to make a pair of jeans (approximately 3 yards). To maximize yield, traditional jean makers use the fabric all the way to the selvage edge. When the cuff is turned up the two selvage edges, where the denim is sewn together, can be seen. The selvage edge is usually stiched with colored thread: green, white, brown, yellow, and red (red is the most common). Fabric mills used these colors to differentiate between fabrics.

thanks onion, but this wiki definition and the sf glossary (which i read before) is still not very understandable by me.
i am trying to picture it in my mind: meaning the edge of the denim is stitched back rather than just cut and not stitched back or am i just way off?

Sauwan

Reaction score
H&M sizing question. I'm normally a small, but fit very well into American Apparel mediums. What size H&M should I be looking for?

Grazie

Musselma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
thanks onion, but this wiki definition and the sf glossary (which i read before) is still not very understandable by me. i am trying to picture it in my mind: meaning the edge of the denim is stitched back rather than just cut and not stitched back or am i just way off?
Selvedge:
Selvedge-751917.jpg
Not Selvedge:
img0076ea6.jpg

utjtl21

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Does anyone know what city in North Carolina that Rag & Bone denim is manufactured?

If I remember correctly, I think that the R & B website says something about Cone Mills. Cone Mills is based in Greensboro, but has 5 manufacturing plants in North Carolina. I couldn't find any information about the plant locations. Google Cone Mills and you will get a phone number. Someone there might be able to answer your question. Good Luck.

TigerBomb

Reaction score
Some time ago, I read an article on shrinking jeans to fit your body. I believe it suggested showering while wearing jeans, and then - I think - leaving them on to dry. Unfortunately I've forgotten most of the information, but something about it stuck with me. Has anyone heard of this before and what exactly is the procedure?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have another of those "recommend me a jean" questions.

I have a pair of 501 STF jeans that I bought sized up to accomodate shrinkage. After shrinking, the waist fits about how I'd like but the jeans are pretty much skin tight. Not a great look for me.

I need some more room in the seat and leg, so I'm looking for a decent pair of relaxed-fit jeans with a fairly high rise. No, I'm not 80; higher rises really do look better on me. The RB6 sounds like what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find a pair in stock on the affiliate stores online.

Which jeans should I be looking for, and where do I find them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members