• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Officine Generale, quality?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing more and more of this brand popping up at local saks and Barney’s...I know it’s been out for a while now but didn’t see any threads on it when I searched. Wasn’t sure what people’s experience has been. Seems like some nice pieces but haven’t picked any up yet.

Thoughts? Worth the $$?

papillo

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing more and more of this brand popping up at local saks and Barney’s...I know it’s been out for a while now but didn’t see any threads on it when I searched. Wasn’t sure what people’s experience has been. Seems like some nice pieces but haven’t picked any up yet.

Thoughts? Worth the $$?
I have a hoodie from them that feels substantial, seems pretty well built and similar quality to brands in that range (i think its priced similarly to JE). I wouldn't pay full price, but def would pick them up on sale.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my favorite brands. I have a couple things, chinos and work shirt, that are nice. I've tried a blazer. Haven't handled the outerwear or knits. I really like his overall vibe. It's kind of "just right" traditional stuff, it's a bit boring (aka not too dandy or exaggerated) and that's fine with me. The price/quality seems to be in the sweet spot of good enough and affordable. Although I've bought it only on Yoox, not at full retail.

edit: a few looks I like. May as well make this the official Officine thread.
_OFF0144.jpg _OFF0195.jpg _OFF0212.jpg ASVOF-FW17-OFFICINE-GENERALE-9.jpg Officine-Generale-Spring-Summer-2016-Menswear-Collection-006.jpg

Last edited:

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I do like the looks. Just ordered a few pairs of the Julian shorts (at discount) and a few camp collar shirts to try out. Agreed the style is a bit subdued but has some nice details and might mix in well with some of the other lines I wear. Just turned 36 and haven’t ever really been in to the more aggressive streetwear style. Most of what I wear now is John Elliott for ‘streetwear’, and some save khaki stuff for basics, so this may fit in nicely.

I was surprised there was a dedicated thread.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have an OCBD from them. Really happy w/it. Has a selvedge look on the inside shirt tail. Not sure if it's really selvedge or faux. But the fabric is thin and really breathable.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think grab some easy pant kind of thing, anyone has experience with this? Says cotton twill (but also says unstructured) so I expect it to be some what stiff, or it’s going to be like French terry?

bencap

Reaction score
The fabrics are often really nice, while construction seems to be where they cut costs (made in Portugal for most, if not all, of the things I've handled). I had the top button pop off a pair of corduroy pants after wearing them only a couple dozen times. The few shirts I have are great though. It's a brand that I always look for during the sale season.

Artking3

Reaction score
Have a thick zip up charcoal merino sweater that I picked up a few years ago from Mr Porter. One of my favorite sweaters, always seem to take it while traveling, if only to sleep in it on long flights.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could help me out with sizing on the shirts. Do the shirts run slim/skinny in general? If I want a regular fit would I need to size up?

Are there different fits (i.e. lipp is slim fit)? I looked at measurements on different websites and they are all over the place, for the same shirt in XL I found shoulder measurements ranging from 17.5" to 18.5". Looking at their website I thought the shirts ran skinny until I realized the 6'1" model is wearing a small. WTF.

white collar

Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could help me out with sizing on the shirts. Do the shirts run slim/skinny in general? If I want a regular fit would I need to size up?

Are there different fits (i.e. lipp is slim fit)? I looked at measurements on different websites and they are all over the place, for the same shirt in XL I found shoulder measurements ranging from 17.5" to 18.5". Looking at their website I thought the shirts ran skinny until I realized the 6'1" model is wearing a small. WTF.
I bought a 100% linen tee from them in medium, 20in pit to pit and almost a 29in length. I wear a medium in JE classic crews and size down to a small in the university tee. I'm happy with the fit and would order true to size again. I got the tee for 60% off and I think if you can find the stuff 50-60% off it's definitely worth it. I've got my eye on a few other pieces I'll be picking up when they go on sale.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since I like Officine Generale a fair bit and this point I’ve got a fair amount and have tried even more, I’ll add some data points for sizing.

generally, everything runs slim and slightly small.
I’m a typical 33-34/Large/50 in pants but size up to a 52 in all theirs. I’ve tried 50s and in some cuts (Pierre, Hugo, Drew, Luigi) they can “work”, but a size up has always been better. In other cuts the 50 just fit a full size small (like the fisherman chino).
Shirts are a bit more TTS, they’re just slim. I have sized up in some things like the Gaspard and Jeffrey, but that’s mostly because I wanted a more relaxed fit in the gaspard and the jeffreys biceps were too tight if I stayed TTS. But typically, shirts are a slim TTS

outerwear and jackets are where it gets a bit weird. I’ve tried XXL bombers that were way too small, and the “lightest jackets“ and 3 pocket jacket (I think it’s called the Aris jacket) I take a 56 and its still fairly slim (ie/ I cant layer more than a shirt). But some XL fit me perfect (this seasons suede coaches.

for knitwear, I am yet to find one that works for me. XL is too slim for my liking but XXLs are too long (and i’m 6’3”)

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a 100% linen tee from them in medium, 20in pit to pit and almost a 29in length. I wear a medium in JE classic crews and size down to a small in the university tee. I'm happy with the fit and would order true to size again. I got the tee for 60% off and I think if you can find the stuff 50-60% off it's definitely worth it. I've got my eye on a few other pieces I'll be picking up when they go on sale.

I recently picked up a linen tee on discount

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads