• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been binging out the last couple of nights on The Umbrella Academy. Starts off slow but once it hits its stride its great fun. Full of intresting post modern tropes from popular culture.

The scene with the Ice Cream Van charging to the rescue while playing the Ride of Valkyries is worth the price of admission alone.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Umbrella Academy is an American superhero web television series developed by Steve Blackman and Jeremy Slater for Netflix. It is an adaptation of the comic book series of the same name, created by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá, and published by Dark Horse Comics. The plot revolves around a dysfunctional family of adopted sibling superheroes who reunite to solve the mystery of their father's death, and the threat of an impending apocalypse. The series is produced by Borderline Entertainment, Dark Horse Entertainment and Universal Cable Productions.

From Wikipedia

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Been binging out the last couple of nights on The Umbrella Academy. Starts off slow but once it hits its stride its great fun. Full of intresting post modern tropes from popular culture.

The scene with the Ice Cream Van charging to the rescue while playing the Ride of Valkyries is worth the price of admission alone.
It's fun. I am enjoying it, as well as the cultural referencers/tropes. And I am sure I have missed more than half of them.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For all of you who questioned those of use who pointed out that alt-right trolls review bombed TLJ, here is proof of something similar happening to Captain Marvel. Why anyone would take any type of audience rating from RT seriously is beyond me.

0C59AD9B-7890-4AFC-BE6E-98250DA274A2.jpeg
4C6837EE-2F7E-4C87-94B5-63BC5A0F36CE.jpeg

8E43269C-6486-4BB1-93E1-60EFE040516E.jpeg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks pretty bad from the trailers. That doesn't mean it will suck, but the trailers haven't made it look like something I will want to see. Brie Larsen hasn't really helped the cause either, though it wouldn't make a difference to me if the movie turns out to be good after all. So, as I said a million times already, I'm waiting to see if it gets really good reviews but am not rushing to see it first.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks pretty bad from the trailers. That doesn't mean it will suck, but the trailers haven't made it look like something I will want to see. Brie Larsen hasn't really helped the cause either, though it wouldn't make a difference to me if the movie turns out to be good after all. So, as I said a million times already, I'm waiting to see if it gets really good reviews but am not rushing to see it first.

That and like I said people are tired(rightwing mostly) of leftwing nutjobs injecting thier politics in movies. So what do you expext to happen exactly? Perhaps they percieve this movie will be similar. I for one don’t care about stupid marvel movies, in fact i think Bill Maher was largely right on this.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That and like I said people are tired(rightwing mostly) of leftwing nutjobs injecting thier politics in movies. So what do you expext to happen exactly? Perhaps they percieve this movie will be similar. I for one don’t care about stupid marvel movies, in fact i think Bill Maher was largely right on this.
Antifacist politics in films? WTF was Casablanca about then.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antifacist politics in films? WTF was Casablanca about then.

Though this is not about that she fights skull- because this has barely political charge nowadays -all ppl knows nazis are bad mkay, but about the fact that the actress came out as a SJW bigot so people will not want to see her.

It's a different type of a movie and people seem to be more touchy about mindless entertainment movies being politicised like ghost busters or star wars or comic movie. It could be these are vehicules for 'escapism' for most people not a place were people enjoy getting their politics. Which by now should be pretty apparent to everyone. We can agree on nazis are bad, space nazis bad - but the actress with her comments went a bit further.

Ps. Dramas like Casablanca cannot escape real-life politics and nor I think they should aim at doing so. That's the right place to do antifascist politics. I'm definitely understand why people get mad at movies like SW/Ghostbusters etc even before watching them am I also sick and tired of politics being injected everywhere. I wouldn't go as far as review bomb a movie before on RT though which is obviously stupid, but I am not really surprised this happened. A sizeable chunk of audience does not enjoy so this is to be expected.

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though this is not about that she fights skull- because this has barely political charge nowadays -all ppl knows nazis are bad mkay, but about the fact that the actress came out as a SJW bigot so people will not want to see her.

It's a different type of a movie and people seem to be more touchy about mindless entertainment movies being politicised like ghost busters or star wars or comic movie. It could be these are vehicules for 'escapism' for most people not a place were people enjoy getting their politics. Which by now should be pretty apparent to everyone. We can agree on nazis are bad, space nazis bad - but the actress with her comments went a bit further.

Ps. Dramas like Casablanca cannot escape real-life politics and nor I think they should aim at doing so. That's the right place to do antifascist politics. I'm definitely understand why people get mad at movies like SW/Ghostbusters etc even before watching them am I also sick and tired of politics being injected everywhere. I wouldn't go as far as review bomb a movie before on RT though which is obviously stupid, but I am not really surprised this happened. A sizeable chunk of audience does not enjoy so this is to be expected.

images.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads