• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve heard book 2/3 are very different from 1. Are they good too? Or should I just read #1

Good, but different for sure. More military, especially book 2. The whole hard boiled noir thing basically goes away.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Set pics of Zachary Levi as Captain Marvel (Shazam). I’m not sure what to think of them. It’s clear they are going for a nice blend of classic and the new which I like. The main issue is all the exaggerated fake muscle padding. Most movie costumes have padding, but this is taking it a bit far. I suspect they wanted him to look like he could stand up to the Rock, but if that’s the case they should have hired a different lead.

As always, set photos are a poor way to judge the final look of a film. Hopefully we get some promo shots soon.

72B9CEE1-4611-46B5-BC33-F34A9F2339C2.jpeg
6E21042A-A8E9-4152-93AF-9D1B56E1BC17.jpeg

Edit: Im betting there will be a lot of CGI work done to try and make the muscle padding look more natural.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some new trailers for Ready Player One.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set pics of Zachary Levi as Captain Marvel (Shazam). I’m not sure what to think of them. It’s clear they are going for a nice blend of classic and the new which I like. The main issue is all the exaggerated fake muscle padding. Most movie costumes have padding, but this is taking it a bit far. I suspect they wanted him to look like he could stand up to the Rock, but if that’s the case they should have hired a different lead.

As always, set photos are a poor way to judge the final look of a film. Hopefully we get some promo shots soon.

View attachment 937858 View attachment 937857

Edit: Im betting there will be a lot of CGI work done to try and make the muscle padding look more natural.
Looks like something I’d expect from a 1980’s TV movie.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People running around in costumes in spy shots hardly ever look good.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ll admit I’m biased. Captain Marvel/Shazam is one of my all time favorite heroes. So I’m rooting for them to pull this off.

Edit: I’d put his main villain Black Adam as a top 3 DC villain. Alongside Sinestro and Joker.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of the Marvel Captain Marvel (Rick Jones, not Carol Danvers) so felt like I had to not like the DC version on principle (I never even noticed the Billy Batson/Rick Jones place switching parallel). I later came across some of the Black Adam stories and thought they were pretty good. But I can't get over the hokey origin story (in a subway tunnel!) and the ridiculous acronym (I will admit that I cribbed it to tell my kids all sorts of outrageous stories about how I came to know certain things).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of the Marvel Captain Marvel (Rick Jones, not Carol Danvers) so felt like I had to not like the DC version on principle (I never even noticed the Billy Batson/Rick Jones place switching parallel). I later came across some of the Black Adam stories and thought they were pretty good. But I can't get over the hokey origin story (in a subway tunnel!) and the ridiculous acronym (I will admit that I cribbed it to tell my kids all sorts of outrageous stories about how I came to know certain things).

Keep in mind that Captain Marvel (DC but originally Fawcett Comics) is one of the oldest heroes around. He was first published in 1939. His origin story may seem hokey by today's standards, but fit right in with many comic characters of the time. In that day in age, comics were truly kid books and had not evolved to tell the mature stories that you often see from big publishers like DC and Marvel today.

Captain Marvel was one of, if not the biggest name in superhero comics back in the day. His books were huge sellers and even outsold Superman.

Little known fact, but the only reason we see a character named Captain Marvel from Marvel Comics is because at one point Fawcett Comics ceased publication of Captain Marvel stories. Marvel Comics jumped in, grabbed a trademark to the name and dreamed up a hero they could publish under the name. If it wasn't for the need to keep their own "Captain Marvel" stories in publication so as not lose the trademark, we might not have seen him last long enough to evolve into the version starring Carol Danvers today.

Going back to the original point, Captain Marvel is a character of his day. He's largely resisted many of the updates and modernizations we have seen over the years from other characters and that's very much part of his charm. Maybe it's not your thing, but the concept of a golden age hero that's a young boy being given powers by a Wizard, has his own "Marvel Family" and is friends with a talking tiger has endured him as an icon in comics that’s managed to stand the test of time.

Having said all this, some modernizations have indeed happened. Some of the most recent being shown in the New 52/Rebirth version of Billy Batson. I'm ok with them as I can see why DC went that way, but they have left many fans a little cold. People are waiting to see which version will be translated to film.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Henry Cavill's Superman costume in spy shots pretty much looked like the movie version.

There were plenty of spy shots were it looked a little off too. Same with Spiderman. I do think the biggest issue at play here is all the extra fake muscle padding. It just doesn't look right to my eyes, but as I said I am willing to give them a chance.

If I was making this film, I would have gone with Alex Ross' interpretation of his classic look.

Shazam_Captain_Marvel.png

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So tell me some cool stuff about Black Panther. I haven't seen it yet, but will, so no spoilers, though I assume the plot itself isn't really the point. Given the hype and good reception, I am surprised there hasn't been more talk here about it.

In other news, I am still making my way through Jessica Jones Season 2 and liking it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thread, like much of the rest of the forum, isn't seeing a lot of activity. Where's @RFX45 these days? He was one of the few people as active as I am in this thread and I hardly see him post anymore.

FWIW I have yet to see BP. Planning to Tuesday.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It won't live up to the hype but it is fun and pretty tight. FWIW I've grown to hate superhero movies and have no idea what the MCU is or care to find out.

If you want a far superior fantasy movie then go see The Shape of Water.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads