• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder if it has something to do with the mega-outsized physiques and total pouch-proliferation...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you mean by this?

I wonder if it has something to do with the mega-outsized physiques and total pouch-proliferation...

That was certainly part of it as was the focus on artists over writers (see how IMAGE was started).

Cable was also the stereotype for the hyper masculine/violent anti-hero that started appearing everywhere.

If you never read Kingdom Come from DC, do so. Magog was modeled after Cable and was used by Ross and Waid to make a statement against the types of comics at the time that were everywhere.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
KCs probably my favorite Graphic Novel ever and still read it from time to time.

I'd love it if they could adapt it to a film, even by Snyder since he is pretty good with sticking to the source material.

Speaking of KC, they really should consider making movies that isn't always connected to a Universe, just standalone films. In a way, it does feel like that is what Fox has done with Deadpool and Logan and those turned out to be great. Hell Days of Futures Past probably stands better by itself than trying to figure out how it connects to Fox's convoluted Xverse.

It'll probably do wonders on their next attempt at the F4, just disconnect the upcoming Doom solo film from anything else they've done, hell make that be the origin story and then introduce the F4 as a secondary characters in the film and then just go from there.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Kingdom Come is my all time favorite too. I'd put the full run of Starman in 2nd place with Sandman in 3rd.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aw, man...they did it again.

I was really enjoying seeing Invincible Iron Man building up steam under the direction of Brian Bendis (and a few incredible artists), and then WHAM-O!, there's a new number one and Iron Man is suddenly a fifteen year-old girl and (in Infamous Iron Man) Doctor Doom...wearing...an Iron Man suit? But why?

If you read this thread, you probably know I'm super-on-board with their belated push towards inclusion -- so it's not that -- but this one threw me for a loop. Just seems like they're following their Spider-Man template (new fifteen year-old hero + super villain Doc Oc as Spider-Man) just because, jettisoning Tony Stark right when he was finally getting some great character development (after Hickman's surprisingly nuanced portrayal in New Avengers, + Bendis's usual thing).

Anyone know if he's coming back? I'm bad at the Googling.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Marvel is obsessed with re-launching their serieses with "brand new #1" every couple years. It's hard for anything to gain readership when they are constantly relaunching everything with new creative teams and directions. Comics get canceled far too often too.

DC is guilty of this too. Don't get me wrong. They just seem to not be nearly as bad as Marvel is these days and have shown signs of moving away from this strategy nice Rebirth hit.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, then I hope Marvel will follow suit... I can't think of a reboot that didn't kill the momentum (or just abruptly end) any good storylines or character development that had been building up. (Maybe the original point where Bendis was hired to shake up the Avengers, but that's been years).

It seems like they're trying to hedge their bets by introducing new characters as legacy heroes. I don't read the new Thor, so can't say how that's working out, but for Iron Man, it just doesn't make any sense, IMO. I'd much rather see the new character (who is well-written and interesting) in her own title.

To add insult to injury (actual big Iron Man spoilers)...

It seems they killed off Tony Stark in one of their 'events', not even in his own comic.

And I read several current titles and still don't get how this is still the new completely different'Battleworld' universe that was supposed to be a game-changer. I do feel like a giant nerd.

/rant

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Defenders?

Did not like it nearly as much as DD seasons 1&2. Admittedly didn't watch JJ, LC, or IF, but would be prompted to go back and watch LC as a result. Plot was rather bland and one dimensional. Fights got too large too quickly into the season so they lost effect. Not comparable at all to DD jumping those 8 Russian guys to rescue the boy in season 1. Not a ton of lasting emotional importance or connection, although now more excited for DD S3.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoughts on Defenders?

Did not like it nearly as much as DD seasons 1&2. Admittedly didn't watch JJ, LC, or IF, but would be prompted to go back and watch LC as a result. Plot was rather bland and one dimensional. Fights got too large too quickly into the season so they lost effect. Not comparable at all to DD jumping those 8 Russian guys to rescue the boy in season 1. Not a ton of lasting emotional importance or connection, although now more excited for DD S3.

That sucks. I haven't watched it yet, but hoped it'd be good.

Anyway, if you liked DD, I think you'd probably like Jessica Jones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads