• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is Werner? He is the reason I want to see it. Also, armor and ship seems cool.
I know the old actor adage is that there are no small roles, but he had only a small role. I can see it getting more extensive in future episodes, but if you're only thinking of watching for him, then you might want to wait.

Like all first episodes of a series, there was a lot of establishing groundwork. That said, there was some solid action, good effects, and a couple of funny-ish bits. I'd give it a moderate recommendation.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too bad Klaus Kinski isn't alive he could be in it too, bangin underage Ewoks

edit: Hey wait wasn't that midget in Willow originally an Ewok? He coulda banged him

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My house has Netflix and Prime. I can't see getting a third service, even if i want to watch the Mandalorian.

I have a high speed download link to a 1080p download. It's 2.5 gigs. Hit me on the side if anyone needs it

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the Mandalorian was pretty good. Clearly it's really just Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" in space but it was fun to watch. Even the music was a Leone/Morricone homage. I liked it!

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you guys discovered Star Wars 4k77? Sort of like Harmy's project to restore the original Star Wars movie but this crew uses film rather than a mix of sources. I was able to burn Star Wars (4k77) and ROTJ (4k83) on to dual layer Blu-ray. 4k versions available as well. Restoration is from original film with zero Special Edition silliness. They look great. Team is now working on ESB (4k80).

Posting this as I saw that Disney is putting the 4k Special Editions up in their new streaming service.

Here's info about Harmy's version. It's pretty good actually.

The 4kxx versions are WAY better than any others I've seen. They're all (or almost all) sourced from single copies of the respective movies and have consistent and natural-looking grain, color, and general aging. The video quality isn't, objectively, as good as the official blurays or the "harmy" versions but it's generally okay.

Subjectively it's like listening to a record on original vinyl; it feels like the real thing and it's ******* great. The definitive versions for sure.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm super satisfied with the Harmy versions and while they might be sourced from different... sources, it's not something I notice (nor do I look for it - plus I'm watching on an venerable old plasma screen).

Are these 4kxx versions basically the same cuts, just with a slightly more 'analogue' feel?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm super satisfied with the Harmy versions and while they might be sourced from different... sources, it's not something I notice (nor do I look for it - plus I'm watching on an venerable old plasma screen).

Are these 4kxx versions basically the same cuts, just with a slightly more 'analogue' feel?
No, they are sourced almost exclusively from a single film print. Makes it closer to the original which I saw in theaters as an 11 year old! You can download several versions. 1080p with or without DNR in Blu Ray and also in 4k.

I imagine the 4k versions are best downloaded to a USB drive and played that way.

Harmy's versions used lots of Blu Ray footage and then some film and other DVD pieces to fill the gaps. They look good but not like the original theatrical releases.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification (by 'same cuts', I meant content wise - so as close to the originals as possible, but it seems that these pretty much *are* the originals - in both content and look).

Where to get a 1080p version?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the link I posted above. It's not super-intuitive and takes some sleuthing.

I suspect they keep it a bit opaque lest the Disney lawyers start circling.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification (by 'same cuts', I meant content wise - so as close to the originals as possible, but it seems that these pretty much *are* the originals - in both content and look).

Where to get a 1080p version?
Yes, I believe the cuts for 4k77, Harmy, and the Silver Screen Edition are the same as the original theatrical version.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since I have been listenining to the Binge Mode Star Wars podcasts, I have been poking around in the films again. I just finished watching Solo. I enjoyed it more than I remembered the first time around. It is light and fun, and does a good job of capturing the feel of the Star Wars universe. It is a pity it didn't make more of a splash as I would love to see more of Crimson Dawn and its new Khaleesi and also Enfys Nest, which looked to be the beginning of a potentially great character.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is tiresome and also the reason I pursued the fan-restored versions of the original trilogy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads