• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh okay, I knew they modeled those Tie Fighter scenes are after a WW2 dogflight movie, didn't know which one. Never heard of that one.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm super satisfied with the Harmy versions and while they might be sourced from different... sources, it's not something I notice (nor do I look for it - plus I'm watching on an venerable old plasma screen).

Are these 4kxx versions basically the same cuts, just with a slightly more 'analogue' feel?

Sorry you didn't notice, but I did. Some parts of the Harmy versions are very sharp and have high color saturation/contrast, and some aren't and don't. It's distracting.

And I prefer the noise of a real film print to the flat and artificial smoothness of heavily cleaned up movies like the special edition star wars blurays---like airbrushing freckles.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for the 4k editions without the DNR then.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was so excited watching Harmy editions I didn't notice they are imperfect

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so excited watching Harmy editions I didn't notice they are imperfect
They are mix of Blu Ray footage, some up-converted normal DVD and I think a little film. They do look a little erratic if you watch closely. the 4k and Silver Screen Edition are taken mostly from one film source.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are mix of Blu Ray footage, some up-converted normal DVD and I think a little film. They do look a little erratic if you watch closely. the 4k and Silver Screen Edition are taken mostly from one film source.

I'm not doubting you, in fact it's pretty awesome you guys catch things like this

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean if you look at the write up by one of the guys working on the 4kxx posted earlier he’s a fan of the Harmy versions. They are different types of restorations that will appeal to different people. I can see why some would prefer a version that been digitally “corrected” and some who would want a more authentic experience closer to what you would have originally seen in Theaters.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too add to my post above, I’m just thankful the community is passionate enough to have people donate so much of their time to create these restorations of the original films. Not having to turn to the Special Editions to watch the OT in HD is wonderful. That’s the most important take away to be had.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just got caught up on the first two episodes of Mandalorian.

Can’t wait for all the bitching about how an untrained alien toddler can use the Force.

Oh wait. Do we only ***** about these things when it’s a young woman?:wink:

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed them both. Had zero expectations and liked the Old West vibe.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got caught up on the first two episodes of Mandalorian.

Can’t wait for all the bitching about how an untrained alien toddler can use the Force.

Oh wait. Do we only ***** about these things when it’s a young woman?:wink:

So you hate babies Junior? Funny you picked up on it, because it never crossed my mind nor heard anyone say something like this. You have a problem.

ps. We ***** here about everything, equal opportunity you know ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics