• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Playing Jedi Fallen Order. Very much a console game but I'm playing on Alienware PC. Neat story, graphics, music and such. Worth the $60.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Playing Jedi Fallen Order. Very much a console game but I'm playing on Alienware PC. Neat story, graphics, music and such. Worth the $60.
How saber battles compare to JK?

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How saber battles compare to JK?
A little less fun believe or not. This game has too much jumping like a Nintendo product. I half expect gold coins to pour out and arcade music to start. All the stuff you find lets you cosmetically change your saber or wardrobe but seems to add zero capabilities. Kind of losing interest already.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mandalorian is pretty solid. A few complaints below. I feel like these take you "out of the show" sometimes and could have been easily fixed in the scripts with no effect to the dramatic narrative

1). The Mandalorian takes an unrealistic amount of punishment. Cartoonish.
-Arm chomped on by the Dewgong-looking reptile thing before Nick Nolte rescues him. His arm would be very messed up. If it weren't for other punishment in the series this would have been fine but it sets a pattern
-Hit with metal implements in the head by the Jawa's as he's hanging off the Sandcrawler. Even if you've got a helmet on that's going to fuck you up. Ok fine, that's not that bad of a script error considering other movies
-Big one: he feel off the top of the Sandcrawler and landed on his back and isn't dead/paralyzed.
-Another big one: hit multiple times by that Rhino creature ramming him at full speed. Isn't dead/paralyzed? Now before @Jr Mouse says it's no big deal watch the Wampa scene again in ESB. He got knocked out by the Wampa, of similar size to the Rhino thing, and it wasn't ramming him full speed
-Explanations? Is Baby Yoda healing him/absorbing most of the kinetic energy with the Force? Does he have some sort of a force field built into his chest armor that takes the energy? (I did notice him repairing some electronics in it in one scene). Overall, this is sloppy writing. No other character in Star Wars has taken this level of punishment, no less a non-Jedi

2). His ship got stripped to bone by the Jawa's and they managed to recover every single component to make it work like new in the desert? Then he rode off into space no problem after working a few days with Nick Nolte and some basic blowtorch equipment? He even alluded to needing a maintenance facility and more time, but they magically did it anyways. Maybe Jaws could have just taken one of the engines off and he had to run after that?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also here's another bit that is vital to the plot.

The doctor standing next to Werner Herzog in the first episode that wanted Baby Yoda taken alive is from the Kamino cloning facility. I think he wants to weaponize his Midichlorians

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mandalorian is pretty solid. A few complaints below. I feel like these take you "out of the show" sometimes and could have been easily fixed in the scripts with no effect to the dramatic narrative

-Arm chomped on by the Dewgong-looking reptile thing before Nick Nolte rescues him. His arm would be very messed up. If it weren't for other punishment in the series this would have been fine but it sets a pattern
-Hit with metal implements in the head by the Jawa's as he's hanging off the Sandcrawler. Even if you've got a helmet on that's going to fuck you up. Ok fine, that's not that bad of a script error considering other movies
-Big one: he feel off the top of the Sandcrawler and landed on his back and isn't dead/paralyzed.
-Another big one: hit multiple times by that Rhino creature ramming him at full speed. Isn't dead/paralyzed? Now before @Jr Mouse says it's no big deal watch the Wampa scene again in ESB. He got knocked out by the Wampa, of similar size to the Rhino thing, and it wasn't ramming him full speed
-Explanations? Is Baby Yoda healing him/absorbing most of the kinetic energy with the Force? Does he have some sort of a force field built into his chest armor that takes the energy? (I did notice him repairing some electronics in it in one scene). Overall, this is sloppy writing. No other character in Star Wars has taken this level of punishment, no less a non-Jedi

2). His ship got stripped to bone by the Jawa's and they managed to recover every single component to make it work like new in the desert? Then he rode off into space no problem after working a few days with Nick Nolte and some basic blowtorch equipment? He even alluded to needing a maintenance facility and more time, but they magically did it anyways. Maybe Jaws could have just taken one of the engines off and he had to run after that?
1:
I assumed that the armor was impact (and weapon) dampening or dissipating and thought they showed that when having him make repairs to its electronics (as you mentioned). Presumably, the helmet can do the same. This didn't bother me at all.
2:
I recall being mildly annoyed by this, but it is consistent with the Star Wars universe, where insanely high tech by our standards can be worked on with a screwdriver and doesn't need a clean room for assembly. Instead, vehicles, especially, are all jalopies that a teenage boy can fix in his backyard.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Response to above

1). I could see that but when have they ever had portable armor energy shields like that? Especially Mandalorians - Return of Jedi Sarlaac scene (Boba Fett) and Rebels TV show (Sabine). The electronics repair in the chest armor was ambiguous.

I thought the Mandlorian metal can just dissipate blaster beams

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree on the second point
I mean seriously, they stripped that ship to the bone, and he just put it all back together? He and "I have spoken" have the tools and the knowledge to put a starship back together? And not just that, they got every part back, down to the last screw? Not to mention the damage the Jawas did to the thing when they were stripping it. They had to cut wires, pry things apart, probably blowtorch stuff; you're not just going to slap that back together with duct tape.

Still, I'm liking the show...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's like a child's western from the '50s except with a shitload of star wars cliches.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't remember the Sergio Leone movies as 30 minutes long and bloodless.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ataturk's description of The Mandalorian being like a 1950s children's western, rather than being a criticism, makes it sound like they've done something right - just like the original was inspired by Saturday matinee films and old children's TV shows (Buck Rogers, in particular).

I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet, but when I do I will watch it with my 9-year old. If we enjoy it together then I'll count it a success.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ataturk's description of The Mandalorian being like a 1950s children's western, rather than being a criticism, makes it sound like they've done something right - just like the original was inspired by Saturday matinee films and old children's TV shows (Buck Rogers, in particular).
You’re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet, but when I do I will watch it with my 9-year old. If we enjoy it together then I'll count it a success.
Original Star Wars was initially inspired by the movie serials George Lucas saw in the theaters in pre-TV era. Flash Gordon, etc. Of course the Kurosawa influences came later. For his real influences watch this:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40